Old 01-19-2008, 12:27 PM
"Roman Kyrylych"

Default pacman -S on already installed package doesn't ask for reinstall

Hi!

# pacman -S ttf-ms-fonts
warning: ttf-ms-fonts-2.0-1 is up to date -- reinstalling

It was asking user for confirmation before which I think was logical,
because if user just forgot he/she has this package installed - this
would allow to avoid creating of unnecessary .pacnew files.

Either I missed this change or forgot about it.
Could someone enlighten me why this was done?

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Old 01-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Allan McRae

Roman Kyrylych wrote:
> Hi!
>
> # pacman -S ttf-ms-fonts
> warning: ttf-ms-fonts-2.0-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
>
> It was asking user for confirmation before which I think was logical,
> because if user just forgot he/she has this package installed - this
> would allow to avoid creating of unnecessary .pacnew files.
>
> Either I missed this change or forgot about it.
> Could someone enlighten me why this was done
I can remember this. Basically, it was decided that if a user did
"pacman -S package" then they obviously wanted the package reinstalled.
The thinking was: Why else would you do that if it was already
installed? However, I can't find the thread/bug report I saw it in....

Allan

Old 01-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Allan McRae

Allan McRae wrote:
> Roman Kyrylych wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> # pacman -S ttf-ms-fonts
>> warning: ttf-ms-fonts-2.0-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
>>
>> It was asking user for confirmation before which I think was logical,
>> because if user just forgot he/she has this package installed - this
>> would allow to avoid creating of unnecessary .pacnew files.
>>
>> Either I missed this change or forgot about it.
>> Could someone enlighten me why this was done
>>
> I can remember this. Basically, it was decided that if a user did
> "pacman -S package" then they obviously wanted the package reinstalled.
> The thinking was: Why else would you do that if it was already
> installed? However, I can't find the thread/bug report I saw it in....

Although maybe i dreamed that and this commit caused it...
http://projects.archlinux.org/git/?p=pacman.git;a=commit;h=250331a636699561e1239e341 f30f2adfebbcb43

Old 01-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Xavier

Allan McRae wrote:
> Roman Kyrylych wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> # pacman -S ttf-ms-fonts
>> warning: ttf-ms-fonts-2.0-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
>>
>> It was asking user for confirmation before which I think was logical,
>> because if user just forgot he/she has this package installed - this
>> would allow to avoid creating of unnecessary .pacnew files.
>>
>> Either I missed this change or forgot about it.
>> Could someone enlighten me why this was done

> I can remember this. Basically, it was decided that if a user did
> "pacman -S package" then they obviously wanted the package reinstalled.
> The thinking was: Why else would you do that if it was already
> installed? However, I can't find the thread/bug report I saw it in....

That's right, I changed this behavior when adding the --needed option :
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-November/010279.html

About .pacnew files, when you reinstall a package, you should not get
any pacnew, because we are in the following case :

original=X, current=Y, new=X
Both package versions contain the exact same file, but the one on
the filesystem has been modified. Leave the current file in place.