Old 01-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Xavier

Default filesystem performance

JJDaNiMoTh wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 11:35:08 +0100
> "Manuel "ekerazha" C."<manuel@ekerazha.com> wrote:
>> [cut]
>
> I don't want to troll there, only one suggestion ( then I go to write
> some code ):
>
> Effectively, pacman needs 40 seconds to perform a search.. using kernel
> cache is a workaround. Isn't against any law, but using it is
> equivalent to hide pacman inefficiency.

For the record, I had huge performance issues with my filesystem a while
ago. Obviously, this didn't cause slow downs only in pacman, but in most
apps I use. Reinstalling my system fixed it.

http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2007-October/015751.html

However, if you only care about pacman, you could use a separate
partition for /var/lib/pacman (or a loopback filesystem).

Old 01-19-2008, 11:24 AM
"Manuel "ekerazha" C."

> However, if you only care about pacman, you could use a separate
> partition for /var/lib/pacman (or a loopback filesystem).

This is beating the dead horse. Somebody should use a loopback
filesystem in order to *partially* compensate a pacman
"misimplementation"...?

Old 01-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Xavier

Manuel "ekerazha" C. wrote:
>> However, if you only care about pacman, you could use a separate
>> partition for /var/lib/pacman (or a loopback filesystem).
>
> This is beating the dead horse. Somebody should use a loopback
> filesystem in order to *partially* compensate a pacman
> "misimplementation"...?

I said you could use that, not should.

The other way would be to experiment with other backends. In this case,
an actual sqlite proof of concept (that is, working code) would help.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:20 PM
"Manuel "ekerazha" C."

> I said you could use that, not should.
>
> The other way would be to experiment with other backends. In this case,
> an actual sqlite proof of concept (that is, working code) would help.

Well, independently from the code of a new pacman backend, just think...

SQLite: SELECT * FROM foo_bar WHERE group = 'gnome'

Do you think this would take "44 seconds" in the same conditions?