Old 06-19-2010, 06:48 AM
Andres P

Default makepkg: simplify su/sudo calling logic

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 1:59 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 19/06/10 10:50, Andres P wrote:
>>
>> Note that this still has the "using su fucks up the terminal" bug present
>> in
>> 3.4.
>
> Still has? *This is the first I am hearing of it... *Is there a bug report
> about this?

Not afaik, I just experienced it with >=3.4 (I had not tested pacman-git until
it was released in testing).

>> I can reproduce outside of makepkg:
>> $ fakeroot bash -c "su -c 'pacman -Q foo'"
>
> I can not see anything wrong when using that.

Hmm, but you do confirm that makepkg falling back to su screws up the terminal?

Andres P

Old 06-19-2010, 07:54 AM
Allan McRae

Note that this still has the "using su fucks up the terminal" bug present
in
3.4.

Still has? This is the first I am hearing of it... Is there a bug report
about this?

Not afaik, I just experienced it with>=3.4 (I had not tested pacman-git until
it was released in testing).

I can reproduce outside of makepkg:
$ fakeroot bash -c "su -c 'pacman -Q foo'"

I can not see anything wrong when using that.

Hmm, but you do confirm that makepkg falling back to su screws up the terminal?

No... I do not know what you mean by this. Can you post some output or
a screenshot?

Allan

Old 06-19-2010, 08:33 AM
Andres P

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 3:24 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:

> No... *I do not know what you mean by this. *Can you post some output or a
> screenshot?

It'd be kind of difficult since the problem is mostly about what doesn't show
up.

It's like when you turn on flow control with ^S, type 'ls; echo foo' and press
enter, then press ^Q.

Except that I'm free to press enter and see the feedback on my scrollback
buffer from the commands that I press, whithout seeing a "preview" of it to the
right of my $PS1.

I've now isolated the problem and it does not happen with every su
operation, only
when cancelling the su password prompt.

Here's what I'm doing:

1. I uninstall asciidoc
2. curl http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pacman-git/pacman-git.tar.gz | tar xz
3. cd pacman-git; makepkg -s
4. When it shows the su password prompt, I hit ^C

What I type is now invisible until I `reset`. Does not happen with sudo nor
from regular calls like `su -c ls` from my shell.

btw, I cannot get master nor latest tag to pipe files named after versioned
deps to $startdir; e.g. $startdir/4. makepkg falling back to su still calls
pacman -T correctly.

Andres P

Old 06-19-2010, 08:54 AM
Allan McRae

[...]

ah... I can replicate. This is weird. Perhaps some sort of pipe is
still capturing the output?

btw, I cannot get master nor latest tag to pipe files named after versioned
deps to $startdir; e.g. $startdir/4. makepkg falling back to su still calls
pacman -T correctly.

1. update ABS
2. cp /var/abs/community-testing/pacman-contrib/* .
3. adjust dependencies to be depends=('pacman>4')
4. makepkg -s, type in your password. It will reinstall pacman from the
repos and then bail because on missing deps

5. notice file named "4" in you directory containing pacman output...

Old 06-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Andres P

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 4:24 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> 1. update ABS
> 2. cp /var/abs/community-testing/pacman-contrib/* .
> 3. adjust dependencies to be *depends=('pacman>4')
> 4. makepkg -s, type in your password. *It will reinstall pacman from the
> repos and then bail because on missing deps
> 5. notice file named "4" in you directory containing pacman output...

Yep, now i see:

pacman-contrib $ cat 4
warning: downgrading package pacman (3.4.0-1 => 3.3.3-5)
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Targets (1): pacman-3.3.3-5

Total Download Size: 0.00 MB
Total Installed Size: 2.09 MB

checking package integrity...
checking for file conflicts...
upgrading pacman...

However, this is no longer an issue after my patch and can confirm
that there's no $startdir/4.

$ printf %q
"pacman>4"
pacman>4