Old 06-19-2010, 03:57 AM
Andres P

Default makepkg: remove unnecessary use of sort(1)

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 10:48 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
>> So the solution is:
>> * Treat the pacman bug as what it is, a separate bug. Since it *does*
>> sort,
>> * just to the wrong LC_COLLATE. This is much cleaner than forking sort(1).
>>
>> * Or, simply change comm to LC_COLLATE=C and speed it up since this
>> collation
>> *is always faster.
>
> Pick one and fix it. *Until then the sort stays. *If you pick the second,
> then it would be best to write a bug report about the first.
>
> Allan

If it's one fix at a time, then there's time to think about solutions:

There was an old bug in the the archlinux bugtracker involving the combination
of LC_COLLATE and some UTF-8 locales in /etc/profile.

This would be fixed with `LC_ALL comm`, yet all of makepkg would benefit from
a `export LC_COLLATE=C` inline.

Since I can't find the bug, I won't use LC_COLLATE yet.

And wrt to pacman sorting or not... I was very clear in that pacman always
sorts it's output, to which you replied.

Andres P