-   -   String freeze for pacman 3.1.1 release (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-pacman-development/37875-string-freeze-pacman-3-1-1-release.html)

Xavier 01-15-2008 09:14 AM

Dan McGee wrote:
> We've weeded out a handful of bugs and issues since 3.1.0, so it is
> time to call for a string freeze for 3.1.1.

Obviously, I only notice string problems AFTER the string freeze,
because I look at the french translation only now.

There is a "--" string coming from makepkg.sh.in , line 1184.
And in pacman/callback.c , line 288 :
"Replacing %s with %s/%s

."

There is a dot after the newline.

"Joćo Felipe Santos" 01-15-2008 10:30 AM

String freeze for pacman 3.1.1 release

I'm Joćo Felipe Santos <jfsantos@archlinux-br.org>, and i'm
translating pacman to pt_BR.

-jfsantos

Xavier 01-15-2008 11:04 AM

Xavier wrote:
> Dan McGee wrote:
>> We've weeded out a handful of bugs and issues since 3.1.0, so it is
>> time to call for a string freeze for 3.1.1.
>>

> Obviously, I only notice string problems AFTER the string freeze,
> because I look at the french translation only now.
>
> There is a "--" string coming from makepkg.sh.in , line 1184.
> And in pacman/callback.c , line 288 :
> "Replacing %s with %s/%s

> ."
>
> There is a dot after the newline.

Anyway, that shouldn't be a big problem. The -- string can be translated
to --, and the second message should be pretty rare (a replacement needs
to occur during a -Su --noconfirm operation).

"Dan McGee" 01-15-2008 01:25 PM

On Jan 15, 2008 6:04 AM, Xavier <shiningxc@gmail.com> wrote:
> Xavier wrote:
> > Dan McGee wrote:
> >> We've weeded out a handful of bugs and issues since 3.1.0, so it is
> >> time to call for a string freeze for 3.1.1.
> >>

> > Obviously, I only notice string problems AFTER the string freeze,
> > because I look at the french translation only now.
> >
> > There is a "--" string coming from makepkg.sh.in , line 1184.
> > And in pacman/callback.c , line 288 :
> > "Replacing %s with %s/%s

> > ."
> >
> > There is a dot after the newline.
>
> Anyway, that shouldn't be a big problem. The -- string can be translated
> to --, and the second message should be pretty rare (a replacement needs
> to occur during a -Su --noconfirm operation).

Cool. It looks like that -- is from a misinterpretation of the gettext
msg* program, which is no big deal (but did the other message make it
in there?). It doesn't look like it did, unfortunately.

Keep that other message in mind and we can do one of two things- I'll
sed all the translations right before we release (probably best) or
I'll patch it immediately following 3.1.1.

-Dan

Xavier 01-15-2008 01:33 PM

Dan McGee wrote:

> Cool. It looks like that -- is from a misinterpretation of the gettext
> msg* program, which is no big deal (but did the other message make it
> in there?). It doesn't look like it did, unfortunately.

It did make it, so everything is alright on this side.

> Keep that other message in mind and we can do one of two things- I'll
> sed all the translations right before we release (probably best) or
> I'll patch it immediately following 3.1.1.

Since I believe this string is quite rare, I'm fine with either way.