Old 01-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Allan McRae

Default Restore .pacsave file if present - WORK IN PROGRESS

Hi,

In continuing to misjudge what would be an easy bug to fix I had an
attempt at FS#8645 - Restore pacsaves on install [1]. The attached patch
is a definite work in progress.

I have two queries:
1) Would it be better to notify the user of the restore or to query
them. Either way they will get a notification about the new file being
installed to .pacsave. I'm leaning on query here because that would
allow the user to stop really old files being restored.

2) Should I worry about the case where a file used to be backed up but
is not now. This seems an edge case but would result in the file being
restored then overwritten (I think.... I need to look at that further).

Cheers,
Allan

[1] http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8645

Old 01-16-2008, 10:32 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Jan 13, 2008 6:48 AM, Allan McRae <allan.mcrae@qimr.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In continuing to misjudge what would be an easy bug to fix I had an
> attempt at FS#8645 - Restore pacsaves on install [1]. The attached patch
> is a definite work in progress.
>
> I have two queries:
> 1) Would it be better to notify the user of the restore or to query
> them. Either way they will get a notification about the new file being
> installed to .pacsave. I'm leaning on query here because that would
> allow the user to stop really old files being restored.
>
> 2) Should I worry about the case where a file used to be backed up but
> is not now. This seems an edge case but would result in the file being
> restored then overwritten (I think.... I need to look at that further).

Hrm, what happens if, I install foo-1.0, uninstall it, then later
reinstall foo-2.0 which has a totally different config format. We
wouldn't be storing the OLD md5sum for the config file if a package is
uninstalled.

Perhaps we should actually ask the user, due to that case.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Allan McRae

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Jan 13, 2008 6:48 AM, Allan McRae <allan.mcrae@qimr.edu.au> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> In continuing to misjudge what would be an easy bug to fix I had an
>> attempt at FS#8645 - Restore pacsaves on install [1]. The attached patch
>> is a definite work in progress.
>>
>> I have two queries:
>> 1) Would it be better to notify the user of the restore or to query
>> them. Either way they will get a notification about the new file being
>> installed to .pacsave. I'm leaning on query here because that would
>> allow the user to stop really old files being restored.
>>
>> 2) Should I worry about the case where a file used to be backed up but
>> is not now. This seems an edge case but would result in the file being
>> restored then overwritten (I think.... I need to look at that further).
>>

> Hrm, what happens if, I install foo-1.0, uninstall it, then later
> reinstall foo-2.0 which has a totally different config format. We
> wouldn't be storing the OLD md5sum for the config file if a package is
> uninstalled.
>
> Perhaps we should actually ask the user, due to that case.

Yes, thats what I was getting at in 1). For 2) I meant files that used
to be in the backup array and no longer are were getting overwritten.

Anyway, I have reworked this so that the user gets queried to restore a
pacsave file and the file to be extracted now always gets saved as
.pacnew. I will probably finish tiding this up at the weekend once I
have tested it some more.

Allan