Old 01-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Nagy Gabor

Default small checkdeps speed-up

Hi!
Patch attached.
Bye

Old 01-10-2008, 06:09 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

I'm curious how significant this speedup is. Do you possibly have
profiling data?

Old 01-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Xavier

Aaron Griffin wrote:

I'm curious how significant this speedup is. Do you possibly have
profiling data?

Attaching callgrind files for the pacman -S kde operation.
The inclusive cost of checkdeps is reduced indeed (from 60M to 45M).

But otherwise, by just timing the operation, I couldn't see any
difference. The preparation of the transaction was always 0.7s.

I used the following command : time echo | sudo pacman -S kde

Old 01-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Nagy Gabor

> I'm curious how significant this speedup is. Do you possibly have
> profiling data?

Hi!

Well, nobody said this is significant speedup (see subject). I just
killed a needless ~O(n^2) computing (where n is the number of packages
in _pkgcache_). I didn't know how significant this speed-up is (don't
forget about multiple checkdeps calls, see -Rc), but clearly, this is
faster (-O(n^2) for every reversedeps==TRUE checkdeps call); and should
be identical with the old code.

Bye

Old 01-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Xavier

Nagy Gabor wrote:
>> I'm curious how significant this speedup is. Do you possibly have
>> profiling data?
>>
> Hi!
>
> Well, nobody said this is significant speedup (see subject). I just
> killed a needless ~O(n^2) computing (where n is the number of packages
> in _pkgcache_). I didn't know how significant this speed-up is (don't
> forget about multiple checkdeps calls, see -Rc), but clearly, this is
> faster (-O(n^2) for every reversedeps==TRUE checkdeps call); and should
> be identical with the old code.

I like this patch anyway, not only because it makes the code a bit
faster, but also because the code is clearer that way in my opinion.