Old 01-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Xavier

Default translation procedure

There was a discussion yesterday on irc about simplifying the
translation process. Stonecrest was basically saying that having to go
through git might turn off some potential translators, and confuse
others. And I agree with that.
Translators actually don't even need the pacman source tree, here is how
the process can go :

19:53 stonecrest >> 1. release coming 2. string freeze 3.
dan updates po files 4. people download
po files from gitweb and update them 5.
people submit them
19:54 stonecrest >> and you can continue making any changes
to pacman during that process that don't
change strings.

So first, I would like to know the opinion of others (especially the
existing translators) about this procedure.
And then, I tried to update the translation-help accordingly, but I am
not sure how bad my changes are, so if others could also comment on that
and suggest improvements, it would be great

Note : the patch is based on Dan's working branch since he converted
translation-help to asciidoc there.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:39 PM
eliott

Another option could be for someone besides the pacman core team to
become a 'translation lieutenant', and handle that process for the
pacman devs, then submit git patches upstream.

That way translators can work with raw files, and pacman devs can work
with git patches.

Just a thought.