Old 01-05-2008, 11:30 PM
"Dan McGee"

Default Status Update for release

Xavier and I worked hard today to close out a few bugs and issues with
pacman, including the bash <-> filesystem backup issue which should
now be fixed (yay!). The DE translation has been updated as well.

One of the final pacman-git builds before the release is out there:
http://dev.archlinux.org/~dan/pacman-git/

PLEASE report any issues. I want to release 3.1.0 to testing early
next week. I foresee a 3.1.1 release to core coming about a week or so
later.

Travis- I'll send you more details soon so we can get a corresponding
abs package release together.

Also of note is the spiffy new website that I threw together:
http://archlinux.org/pacman/

All of our asciidoc-generated manpages are now up there, and the main
page itself is also an asciidoc document. Enjoy!

-Dan

Old 01-07-2008, 02:18 AM
"Travis Willard"

On Jan 5, 2008 7:30 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> Travis- I'll send you more details soon so we can get a corresponding
> abs package release together.

Just an FYI - I'll be releasing this ABS as the old 'cvsup' version -
I haven't had time to really play with the rsync implementation yet,
and since the cvsup version works at current, we'll just run with it
so we can get the new pacman out the door.

I've got the proto files in my local branch for ABS, and I'll be
pushing them to projects.archlinux.org soon. After that, it's ready
for release in its current form.

--
Travis

Old 01-07-2008, 02:24 AM
"Dan McGee"

On Jan 6, 2008 9:18 PM, Travis Willard <travis@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Jan 5, 2008 7:30 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Travis- I'll send you more details soon so we can get a corresponding
> > abs package release together.
>
> Just an FYI - I'll be releasing this ABS as the old 'cvsup' version -
> I haven't had time to really play with the rsync implementation yet,
> and since the cvsup version works at current, we'll just run with it
> so we can get the new pacman out the door.

Fine with me. The whole idea here was to decouple first, and then
develop later. Might as well keep what works, even if not perfectly
ideal.

> I've got the proto files in my local branch for ABS, and I'll be
> pushing them to projects.archlinux.org soon. After that, it's ready
> for release in its current form.

Cool. Feel free to push it off to testing whenever you want. Can
someone create a ftp directory called other/abs perhaps? That might
make more sense than grouping it under pacman/.

-Dan

Old 01-07-2008, 10:12 AM
"Travis Willard"

On Jan 6, 2008 10:24 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2008 9:18 PM, Travis Willard <travis@archlinux.org> wrote:
> > On Jan 5, 2008 7:30 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Travis- I'll send you more details soon so we can get a corresponding
> > > abs package release together.
> >
> > Just an FYI - I'll be releasing this ABS as the old 'cvsup' version -
> > I haven't had time to really play with the rsync implementation yet,
> > and since the cvsup version works at current, we'll just run with it
> > so we can get the new pacman out the door.
>
> Fine with me. The whole idea here was to decouple first, and then
> develop later. Might as well keep what works, even if not perfectly
> ideal.
>
> > I've got the proto files in my local branch for ABS, and I'll be
> > pushing them to projects.archlinux.org soon. After that, it's ready
> > for release in its current form.
>
> Cool. Feel free to push it off to testing whenever you want. Can
> someone create a ftp directory called other/abs perhaps? That might
> make more sense than grouping it under pacman/.

Writable by the abs-git group?

Old 01-07-2008, 03:38 PM
eliott

On 1/7/08, Travis Willard <travis@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2008 10:24 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Just an FYI - I'll be releasing this ABS as the old 'cvsup' version -
> > > I haven't had time to really play with the rsync implementation yet,
> > > and since the cvsup version works at current, we'll just run with it
> > > so we can get the new pacman out the door.
> >
> > Fine with me. The whole idea here was to decouple first, and then
> > develop later. Might as well keep what works, even if not perfectly
> > ideal.
> >
> > > I've got the proto files in my local branch for ABS, and I'll be
> > > pushing them to projects.archlinux.org soon. After that, it's ready
> > > for release in its current form.
> >
> > Cool. Feel free to push it off to testing whenever you want. Can
> > someone create a ftp directory called other/abs perhaps? That might
> > make more sense than grouping it under pacman/.
>
> Writable by the abs-git group?

oh.
I forgot to reply.
Dan caught me on jabber last night and prodded me to get this done.
So you should now find the /ftp/other/abs/ directory, and it should
have appropriate user/group permissions.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:48 PM
"Travis Willard"

dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Just an FYI - I'll be releasing this ABS as the old 'cvsup' version -

> > > I haven't had time to really play with the rsync implementation yet,
> > > and since the cvsup version works at current, we'll just run with it
> > > so we can get the new pacman out the door.

> > Fine with me. The whole idea here was to decouple first, and then
> > develop later. Might as well keep what works, even if not perfectly
> > ideal.
> >
> > > I've got the proto files in my local branch for ABS, and I'll be

> > > pushing them to projects.archlinux.org soon. *After that, it's ready
> > > for release in its current form.
> >
> > Cool. Feel free to push it off to testing whenever you want. Can

> > someone create a ftp directory called other/abs perhaps? That might
> > make more sense than grouping it under pacman/.
>
> Writable by the abs-git group? *

oh.
I forgot to reply.

Dan caught me on jabber last night and prodded me to get this done.
So you should now find the /ftp/other/abs/ directory, and it should
have appropriate user/group permissions.
Noticed that this morning when I was mucking around getting a tarball ready for release.* Thanks eliott.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:53 AM
"Dan McGee"

On Jan 6, 2008 9:18 PM, Travis Willard <travis@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Jan 5, 2008 7:30 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Travis- I'll send you more details soon so we can get a corresponding
> > abs package release together.
>
> Just an FYI - I'll be releasing this ABS as the old 'cvsup' version -
> I haven't had time to really play with the rsync implementation yet,
> and since the cvsup version works at current, we'll just run with it
> so we can get the new pacman out the door.
>
> I've got the proto files in my local branch for ABS, and I'll be
> pushing them to projects.archlinux.org soon. After that, it's ready
> for release in its current form.

Final update of pacman-git tonight so it can be installed side-by-side
with testing/abs. PLEASE report anything, otherwise source tarball
release happens tomorrow.

Slight updates to the webpage too: http://www.archlinux.org/pacman/,
and notably to the translation-help file. I'll be looking for a
translation lieutenant/coordinator for the next release (described in
the document), so if anyone is interested, please send me an email.
I'd like this to be someone who knows enough about GIT that they will
be able to manage the inflow of a mix of patches and PO files, publish
a git repository somewhere (if need be, I can provide space), and
allow me to merge translations from their tree when necessary (just
before a release).

-Dan

Old 01-08-2008, 02:15 PM
"Roman Kyrylych"

2008/1/8, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com>:
> On Jan 6, 2008 9:18 PM, Travis Willard <travis@archlinux.org> wrote:
> > On Jan 5, 2008 7:30 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Travis- I'll send you more details soon so we can get a corresponding
> > > abs package release together.
> >
> > Just an FYI - I'll be releasing this ABS as the old 'cvsup' version -
> > I haven't had time to really play with the rsync implementation yet,
> > and since the cvsup version works at current, we'll just run with it
> > so we can get the new pacman out the door.
> >
> > I've got the proto files in my local branch for ABS, and I'll be
> > pushing them to projects.archlinux.org soon. After that, it's ready
> > for release in its current form.
>
> Final update of pacman-git tonight so it can be installed side-by-side
> with testing/abs. PLEASE report anything, otherwise source tarball
> release happens tomorrow.
>
> Slight updates to the webpage too: http://www.archlinux.org/pacman/,
> and notably to the translation-help file. I'll be looking for a
> translation lieutenant/coordinator for the next release (described in
> the document), so if anyone is interested, please send me an email.
> I'd like this to be someone who knows enough about GIT that they will
> be able to manage the inflow of a mix of patches and PO files, publish
> a git repository somewhere (if need be, I can provide space), and
> allow me to merge translations from their tree when necessary (just
> before a release).

just a very small notice:
since abs is not a part of Pacman anymore, this line can be removed from NEWS:
- allow abs to not be included (FS#7319)

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)

Old 01-08-2008, 02:23 PM
"Dan McGee"

On Jan 8, 2008 9:15 AM, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/1/8, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com>:

> > > Just an FYI - I'll be releasing this ABS as the old 'cvsup' version -
> > > I haven't had time to really play with the rsync implementation yet,
> > > and since the cvsup version works at current, we'll just run with it
> > > so we can get the new pacman out the door.
> > >
> > > I've got the proto files in my local branch for ABS, and I'll be
> > > pushing them to projects.archlinux.org soon. After that, it's ready
> > > for release in its current form.
> >
> > Final update of pacman-git tonight so it can be installed side-by-side
> > with testing/abs. PLEASE report anything, otherwise source tarball
> > release happens tomorrow.
> >
> > Slight updates to the webpage too: http://www.archlinux.org/pacman/,
> > and notably to the translation-help file. I'll be looking for a
> > translation lieutenant/coordinator for the next release (described in
> > the document), so if anyone is interested, please send me an email.
> > I'd like this to be someone who knows enough about GIT that they will
> > be able to manage the inflow of a mix of patches and PO files, publish
> > a git repository somewhere (if need be, I can provide space), and
> > allow me to merge translations from their tree when necessary (just
> > before a release).
> >

> just a very small notice:
> since abs is not a part of Pacman anymore, this line can be removed from NEWS:
> - allow abs to not be included (FS#7319)

Good call. I'll change it to "ABS removed from pacman package" or something.

Any other NEWS updates while we are at it? Speak up today, please.

-Dan

Old 01-08-2008, 03:35 PM
"Roman Kyrylych"

2008/1/8, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com>:
> Good call. I'll change it to "ABS removed from pacman package" or something.
>
> Any other NEWS updates while we are at it? Speak up today, please.

I've read all additions completely and they are fine to me.
No missing important things comes to my mind now, I guess everything
other is OK.
(in case we really missed some change that deserves to be mentioned -
someone will notice this after 3.1 release and it can be added in 3.1
section when releasing 3.1.1)

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)