Old 01-04-2008, 02:11 PM
"Travis Willard"

Default Proto files and Makeworld

Hey guys,

With ABS splitting off from pacman, I was wondering where makeworld and the .proto files belonged.*

To me, makeworld seems to be an abs tool (and even mentions ABS in its usage) so it would seem to belong in the abs project, not with pacman itself.

The proto files (PKGBUILD.proto, install.proto, and possibly a ChangeLog.proto?) seem to belong with makepkg in my mind.* Any changes in these proto files would be directly caused by changes to makepkg, and the coupling of putting them in with the pacman package seems to make sense.* I've never understood why we sync them with abs in the first place - if someone wants a prototype PKGBUILD to start from, why should they have to download the entirety of our repos' build scripts?

In short, I think we should move makeworld to the abs project/package, and move the prototype files into the pacman project/package, perhaps in /usr/share/pacman/*proto?

Thoughts?

--
Travis

Old 01-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Xavier

Travis Willard wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> With ABS splitting off from pacman, I was wondering where makeworld and the
> .proto files belonged.
>
> To me, makeworld seems to be an abs tool (and even mentions ABS in its
> usage) so it would seem to belong in the abs project, not with pacman
> itself.
>
> The proto files (PKGBUILD.proto, install.proto, and possibly a
> ChangeLog.proto?) seem to belong with makepkg in my mind. Any changes in
> these proto files would be directly caused by changes to makepkg, and the
> coupling of putting them in with the pacman package seems to make sense.
> I've never understood why we sync them with abs in the first place - if
> someone wants a prototype PKGBUILD to start from, why should they have to
> download the entirety of our repos' build scripts?
>
> In short, I think we should move makeworld to the abs project/package, and
> move the prototype files into the pacman project/package, perhaps in
> /usr/share/pacman/*proto?
>
> Thoughts?

Both suggestions makes sense in my opinion too.
I didn't like the current location of the proto files, I don't know what
they are doing in core/. And you are right, it would probably fit better
with makepkg than with all the others PKGBUILDs.
So I like your proposal.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:52 PM
"Dan McGee"

On Jan 4, 2008 9:11 AM, Travis Willard <travis@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> With ABS splitting off from pacman, I was wondering where makeworld and the
> .proto files belonged.
>
> To me, makeworld seems to be an abs tool (and even mentions ABS in its
> usage) so it would seem to belong in the abs project, not with pacman
> itself.

Big +1 here. I have been slowly but surely trying to eliminate the
hard links to ABS in the pacman source, and this is (as far as I know)
the last one, although we could generalize it. I can offer assistance
here getting it moved over and cleaned up (remove the gettext stuff?)
if you want, as I've already had to do this with the abs script.

> The proto files (PKGBUILD.proto, install.proto, and possibly a
> ChangeLog.proto?) seem to belong with makepkg in my mind. Any changes in
> these proto files would be directly caused by changes to makepkg, and the
> coupling of putting them in with the pacman package seems to make sense.
> I've never understood why we sync them with abs in the first place - if
> someone wants a prototype PKGBUILD to start from, why should they have to
> download the entirety of our repos' build scripts?

Original decisions die hard . Take a glance at contrib/ in the
pacman source- there you will find PKGBUILD.proto and proto.install,
which should always be the canonical definition. I think it would be
very wise for us to install these with the pacman package somewhere in
/usr/share, and maybe have some symlinks for old times sake in the abs
package from /var/abs/.

Note to self: look into where those files should live in the
pacman-git repo (probably should be somewhere besides contrib as they
should be installed by default).

> In short, I think we should move makeworld to the abs project/package, and
> move the prototype files into the pacman project/package, perhaps in
> /usr/share/pacman/*proto?
>
> Thoughts?

Good to see you already taking charge. Thanks!

-Dan

Old 01-04-2008, 04:48 PM
eliott

> On Jan 4, 2008 9:11 AM, Travis Willard <travis@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> With ABS splitting off from pacman, I was wondering where makeworld and the
> .proto files belonged.
>
> To me, makeworld seems to be an abs tool (and even mentions ABS in its
> usage) so it would seem to belong in the abs project, not with pacman
> itself.

Sounds good to me too.

On 1/4/08, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> Original decisions die hard . Take a glance at contrib/ in the
> pacman source- there you will find PKGBUILD.proto and proto.install,
> which should always be the canonical definition. I think it would be
> very wise for us to install these with the pacman package somewhere in
> /usr/share, and maybe have some symlinks for old times sake in the abs
> package from /var/abs/.

I don't think we even need to symlink them.
If we just provide a README in the /var/abs/ root with high level
information about abs, we could slap a 'proto files are located in
/usr/share....' or wherever.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:56 PM
"Dan McGee"

On Jan 4, 2008 11:48 AM, eliott <eliott@cactuswax.net> wrote:
> > On Jan 4, 2008 9:11 AM, Travis Willard <travis@archlinux.org> wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > With ABS splitting off from pacman, I was wondering where makeworld and the
> > .proto files belonged.
> >
> > To me, makeworld seems to be an abs tool (and even mentions ABS in its
> > usage) so it would seem to belong in the abs project, not with pacman
> > itself.
>
> Sounds good to me too.
>
> On 1/4/08, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Original decisions die hard . Take a glance at contrib/ in the
> > pacman source- there you will find PKGBUILD.proto and proto.install,
> > which should always be the canonical definition. I think it would be
> > very wise for us to install these with the pacman package somewhere in
> > /usr/share, and maybe have some symlinks for old times sake in the abs
> > package from /var/abs/.
>
> I don't think we even need to symlink them.
> If we just provide a README in the /var/abs/ root with high level
> information about abs, we could slap a 'proto files are located in
> /usr/share....' or wherever.

cat > /var/abs/README << EOF
ABS is a collection of the PKGBUILDs used to make your Arch Linux packages.
It is also a good starting place to learn how to make your own. If you
want a clean
prototype, then please see the prototype PKGBUILD and install file shipped with
pacman & makepkg, located in /usr/share/pacman/.
EOF

-Dan

Old 01-04-2008, 05:00 PM
"Travis Willard"

On Jan 4, 2008 11:52 AM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:

On Jan 4, 2008 9:11 AM, Travis Willard <travis@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> With ABS splitting off from pacman, I was wondering where makeworld and the

> .proto files belonged.
>
> To me, makeworld seems to be an abs tool (and even mentions ABS in its
> usage) so it would seem to belong in the abs project, not with pacman
> itself.

Big +1 here. I have been slowly but surely trying to eliminate the
hard links to ABS in the pacman source, and this is (as far as I know)
the last one, although we could generalize it. I can offer assistance
here getting it moved over and cleaned up (remove the gettext stuff?)

if you want, as I've already had to do this with the abs script.

Any help you could offer for that would be appreciated.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:01 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Jan 4, 2008 10:52 AM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 4, 2008 9:11 AM, Travis Willard <travis@archlinux.org> wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > With ABS splitting off from pacman, I was wondering where makeworld and the
> > .proto files belonged.
> >
> > To me, makeworld seems to be an abs tool (and even mentions ABS in its
> > usage) so it would seem to belong in the abs project, not with pacman
> > itself.
>
> Big +1 here. I have been slowly but surely trying to eliminate the
> hard links to ABS in the pacman source, and this is (as far as I know)
> the last one, although we could generalize it. I can offer assistance
> here getting it moved over and cleaned up (remove the gettext stuff?)
> if you want, as I've already had to do this with the abs script.

Agreed. Feel free to pull it into the abs tree whenever you want. Just
let us know so we can kill it off from the pacman codebase.

> > The proto files (PKGBUILD.proto, install.proto, and possibly a
> > ChangeLog.proto?) seem to belong with makepkg in my mind. Any changes in
> > these proto files would be directly caused by changes to makepkg, and the
> > coupling of putting them in with the pacman package seems to make sense.
> > I've never understood why we sync them with abs in the first place - if
> > someone wants a prototype PKGBUILD to start from, why should they have to
> > download the entirety of our repos' build scripts?
>
> Original decisions die hard . Take a glance at contrib/ in the
> pacman source- there you will find PKGBUILD.proto and proto.install,
> which should always be the canonical definition. I think it would be
> very wise for us to install these with the pacman package somewhere in
> /usr/share, and maybe have some symlinks for old times sake in the abs
> package from /var/abs/.

I agree that these should be in /usr/share/pacman/. We should also
keep them in the ABS tree for the time being.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:01 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

Old 01-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Xavier

Travis Willard wrote:

> +1 - sounds fine by me. I'll add the necessary readme to the package...
> when I make the package. :P
>
> I think we should offer a ChangeLog.proto too, in an attempt to help
> standardize our changelog format. Something like as was mentioned in a
> semi-recent email thread... that I can't find. I've got it bookmarked at
> home, but it was something like:
>
> date <email@address.org>
>
> * pkgname-pkgver-pkgrel
> Reason we changed stuff
> Another reason we changed stuff
> gcc-4.1.patch: Removed, no longer needed
>
> and so on.

Aaron just gave the link yesterday
http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2008-January/004020.html

Your example looks fine though. Just two unimportant comments :
- the packager name is missing
- I wanted to make it explicit that the file should end with just one
newline. Some ChangeLog don't even have one newline, so pacman needs to
add one manually. And then the other ChangeLog that already had two
newlines (== one empty line at the end) end up with two empty lines,
which doesn't look very nice.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Eric Belanger

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008, Aaron Griffin wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2008 10:52 AM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 4, 2008 9:11 AM, Travis Willard <travis@archlinux.org> wrote:
>>> Hey guys,
>>>
>>> With ABS splitting off from pacman, I was wondering where makeworld and the
>>> .proto files belonged.
>>>
>>> To me, makeworld seems to be an abs tool (and even mentions ABS in its
>>> usage) so it would seem to belong in the abs project, not with pacman
>>> itself.
>>
>> Big +1 here. I have been slowly but surely trying to eliminate the
>> hard links to ABS in the pacman source, and this is (as far as I know)
>> the last one, although we could generalize it. I can offer assistance
>> here getting it moved over and cleaned up (remove the gettext stuff?)
>> if you want, as I've already had to do this with the abs script.
>
> Agreed. Feel free to pull it into the abs tree whenever you want. Just
> let us know so we can kill it off from the pacman codebase.
>
>>> The proto files (PKGBUILD.proto, install.proto, and possibly a
>>> ChangeLog.proto?) seem to belong with makepkg in my mind. Any changes in
>>> these proto files would be directly caused by changes to makepkg, and the
>>> coupling of putting them in with the pacman package seems to make sense.
>>> I've never understood why we sync them with abs in the first place - if
>>> someone wants a prototype PKGBUILD to start from, why should they have to
>>> download the entirety of our repos' build scripts?
>>
>> Original decisions die hard . Take a glance at contrib/ in the
>> pacman source- there you will find PKGBUILD.proto and proto.install,
>> which should always be the canonical definition. I think it would be
>> very wise for us to install these with the pacman package somewhere in
>> /usr/share, and maybe have some symlinks for old times sake in the abs
>> package from /var/abs/.
>
> I agree that these should be in /usr/share/pacman/. We should also
> keep them in the ABS tree for the time being.

The community abs tree (/var/abs/community) has some proto files for SCM
PKGBUILDs and rc script. Perhaps we should put all these proto files in
one location (/var/abs or /usr/share)

>> Note to self: look into where those files should live in the
>> pacman-git repo (probably should be somewhere besides contrib as they
>> should be installed by default).
>>
>>> In short, I think we should move makeworld to the abs project/package, and
>>> move the prototype files into the pacman project/package, perhaps in
>>> /usr/share/pacman/*proto?
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Good to see you already taking charge. Thanks!
>>
>> -Dan

believed to be clean.