Old 11-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Alexander Todorov

Default Generating comps.xml

Hello,
I've found this quite old document explaining the comps.xml structure:
http://rhlinux.redhat.com/anaconda/comps.html

It mentions the getfullcomps.py script to generate the package sections
of comps.xml. My comps-extras package contains only images and no helper
scripts.

Is comps.xml produced manually nowadays? Is there any tool to automate
comps.xml generation? If not is anybody interested in implementing such
a tool? Is there a need for one?

Thanks,
Alexander.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:34 AM
"Prasad H.L."

As far I know, a tool by name revisor should do what you are suggesting as well as some more things. But, revisor reads from an existing comps file and writes it out into another as per user's selection. It doesnot give support for addiing/modifying/deleting categories and groups in the GUI. Myself and one of my friends are interested in precisely the same. We are modifying revisor's python scripts for doing the same.

With Regards,
Prasad H. L.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Alexander Todorov

Prasad H.L. wrote:

As far I know, a tool by name revisor should do what you are suggesting as well as some more things. But, revisor reads from an existing comps file and writes it out into another as per user's selection. It doesnot give support for addiing/modifying/deleting categories and groups in the GUI. Myself and one of my friends are interested in precisely the same. We are modifying revisor's python scripts for doing the same.

Yes, I'm aware of Revisor and what it does.
Please see here:
http://lists.fedoraunity.org/pipermail/revisor-users/2007-November/000518.html

What I am ultimately looking for is a tool that will generate comps.xml
skeleton based on directory containing RPM packages. AFAIK no such tool
exists.

As it's been long time since comps.xml exist and no automation tool is
used I wonder why. Is automation bringing a lot more issues that take
more time to solve that hand crafting the comps or simply nobody was
interested in writing a tool?

Greetings,
Alexander.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Jos Vos

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 11:44:32AM +0100, Alexander Todorov wrote:

> What I am ultimately looking for is a tool that will generate comps.xml
> skeleton based on directory containing RPM packages. AFAIK no such tool
> exists.

But what groups and categories you want to idenify, and what packages
you want to be included in a group as default, mandatory, and optional
can not be automated without extra information.

--
-- Jos Vos <jos@xos.nl>
-- X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV | Phone: +31 20 6938364

Old 11-22-2007, 10:07 AM
Alexander Todorov