Old 01-03-2008, 09:17 PM
eliott

Default Ideas about abs

With a potential move of abs from cvsup to rsync, would it make sense
to include a 'seeded' abs tree as part of the abs package (a point in
time snapshot of the abs tree) so that people can get off to a bit of
a start, as well as spread 'some' of the initial bandwidth to the
mirrors?

Something like the abs package including a snapshot in
/usr/share/abs/base-tree.tar.gz or something equally brain dead.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:24 PM
"Dan McGee"

On Jan 3, 2008 4:17 PM, eliott <eliott@cactuswax.net> wrote:
> With a potential move of abs from cvsup to rsync, would it make sense
> to include a 'seeded' abs tree as part of the abs package (a point in
> time snapshot of the abs tree) so that people can get off to a bit of
> a start, as well as spread 'some' of the initial bandwidth to the
> mirrors?
>
> Something like the abs package including a snapshot in
> /usr/share/abs/base-tree.tar.gz or something equally brain dead.

I think this makes pretty good sense, thinking about it. Because abs
will be living in core/devel, not everyone will need it, so space
concerns are a bit more minimal. However, what repositories do you
include? I believe our initial prototype was still able to only sync
certain trees if one so desired. For instance, many people have no use
for the unstable and/or testing abs trees. I would say that core and
extra are pretty much standard fare and could be included.

/me rethinks...the disadvantage is that if we even bump the pkgrel of
abs, users would have to download this tar.gz of what might already be
an outdated abs tree. Hmm.

-Dan

Old 01-03-2008, 09:26 PM
eliott

On 1/3/08, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2008 4:17 PM, eliott <eliott@cactuswax.net> wrote:
> > With a potential move of abs from cvsup to rsync, would it make sense
> > to include a 'seeded' abs tree as part of the abs package (a point in
> > time snapshot of the abs tree) so that people can get off to a bit of
> > a start, as well as spread 'some' of the initial bandwidth to the
> > mirrors?
> >
> > Something like the abs package including a snapshot in
> > /usr/share/abs/base-tree.tar.gz or something equally brain dead.
>
> I think this makes pretty good sense, thinking about it. Because abs
> will be living in core/devel, not everyone will need it, so space
> concerns are a bit more minimal. However, what repositories do you
> include? I believe our initial prototype was still able to only sync
> certain trees if one so desired. For instance, many people have no use
> for the unstable and/or testing abs trees. I would say that core and
> extra are pretty much standard fare and could be included.
>
> /me rethinks...the disadvantage is that if we even bump the pkgrel of
> abs, users would have to download this tar.gz of what might already be
> an outdated abs tree. Hmm.

ack. good point.
Maybe we drop a file in '/ftp/other' so it gets mirrored out, and then
have abs parse pacman.conf to find the mirror, and have abs pull it
down on first run (if /var/abs doesn't exist).