Old 11-12-2009, 03:32 AM
Bhargav Prasanna

Default apt-get style information for users in pacman

Hi,

Lets say you are downloading a package with x dependencies. i.e. x+1
packages in all:

Pacman tells you that you have x+1 targets. But if x+1 is a large
number, which is usually the case when the system is being set up or
updated, the user loses track of the number of packages that have been
downloaded and the number remaining a short while after the downloads
commence.

Debian's apt-get has a really good feature. If the nth package
(n<=x+1) is being downloaded, you'll see that in every line: "[n/x+1]"
which tells you how many you've downloaded and how many you are yet to
is present. This will help the user keep track. =)

If someone can guide me here, I guess we can add this feature to pacman

--
Bhargav Prasanna
http://muftmukt.wordpress.com/

Old 11-12-2009, 04:30 AM
Dan McGee

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:32 PM, Bhargav Prasanna
<bhargavprasanna@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Lets say you are downloading a package with x dependencies. i.e. x+1
> packages in all:
>
> Pacman tells you that you have x+1 targets. But if x+1 is a large
> number, which is usually the case when the system is being set up or
> updated, the user loses track of the number of packages that have been
> downloaded and the number remaining a short while after the downloads
> commence.
>
> Debian's apt-get has a really good feature. If the nth package
> (n<=x+1) is being downloaded, you'll see that in every line: "[n/x+1]"
> which tells you how many you've downloaded and how many you are yet to
> is present. This will help the user keep track. =)
>
> If someone can guide me here, I guess we can add this feature to pacman

You might find TotalDownload a lot more useful, as # of packages when
downloading is a lot less useful than overall download progress. man
pacman.conf

-Dan

Old 11-12-2009, 05:31 AM
Allan McRae

Dan McGee wrote:

[...]

An an FYI, there is a really old bug report requesting this:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/833

Allan

Old 11-12-2009, 07:00 AM
Bhargav Prasanna

2009/11/12 Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org>:
> Dan McGee wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:32 PM, Bhargav Prasanna
>> <bhargavprasanna@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Lets say you are downloading a package with x dependencies. i.e. x+1
>>> packages in all:
>>>
>>> Pacman tells you that you have x+1 targets. But if x+1 is a large
>>> number, which is usually the case when the system is being set up or
>>> updated, the user loses track of the number of packages that have been
>>> downloaded and the number remaining a short while after the downloads
>>> commence.
>>>
>>> Debian's apt-get has a really good feature. If the nth package
>>> (n<=x+1) is being downloaded, you'll see that in every line: "[n/x+1]"
>>> which tells you how many you've downloaded and how many you are yet to
>>> is present. This will help the user keep track. =)
>>>
>>> If someone can guide me here, I guess we can add this feature to pacman
>>
>> You might find TotalDownload a lot more useful, as # of packages when
>> downloading is a lot less useful than overall download progress. man
>> pacman.conf
>>

> An an FYI, there is a really old bug report requesting this:
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/833
>
> Allan

Total Download seems good. =)

Thanks for the bug report link.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:00 AM
Xavier

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 7:31 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:

> An an FYI, there is a really old bug report requesting this:
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/833

1 got lost !

http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8331

Old 11-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Bhargav Prasanna

2009/11/12 Xavier <shiningxc@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 7:31 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
>>
>> An an FYI, there is a really old bug report requesting this:
>> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/833
>>

> 1 got lost !
>
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8331

yes it did.. and I figured it out by searching.. =)