FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux Pacman Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Cedric Staniewski
 
Default makepkg: add a config file option for the pacman binary to be used

Dan McGee wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Cedric Staniewski <cedric@gmx.ca> wrote:
>> Implements FS#13028.
>>
>> Signed-off-by: Cedric Staniewski <cedric@gmx.ca>
>> ---
>> Oops... forgot to adjust the documentation. -T support is not required
>> anymore for the pacman wrappers.
>
> I think I'd rather see this as an environment variable- wouldn't that
> make more sense, as we wouldn't require it to be specified by the vast
> majority of people that just want to use the default?
>
> PACMAN=${PACMAN:-pacman} or whatever it is.
>
> -Dan

Sorry Dan, but I do not get your point. This patch makes it possible to specify a pacman command in one of the makepkg.conf files, but it is not mandatory because of the reason you mentioned. I already use your line in my patch:

+# set pacman command if not defined in config files
+PACMAN=${PACMAN:-pacman}
+

It is, however, not possible to provide a pacman command via environment variable, because I think it makes more sense to store it in a config file.
So do you mean it should be possible to use an environment variable as well?
 
Old 11-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Allan McRae
 
Default makepkg: add a config file option for the pacman binary to be used

Cedric Staniewski wrote:

Dan McGee wrote:

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Cedric Staniewski <cedric@gmx.ca> wrote:

Implements FS#13028.

Signed-off-by: Cedric Staniewski <cedric@gmx.ca>
---
Oops... forgot to adjust the documentation. -T support is not required
anymore for the pacman wrappers.

I think I'd rather see this as an environment variable- wouldn't that
make more sense, as we wouldn't require it to be specified by the vast
majority of people that just want to use the default?

PACMAN=${PACMAN:-pacman} or whatever it is.

-Dan


Sorry Dan, but I do not get your point. This patch makes it possible to specify a pacman command in one of the makepkg.conf files, but it is not mandatory because of the reason you mentioned. I already use your line in my patch:

+# set pacman command if not defined in config files
+PACMAN=${PACMAN:-pacman}
+

It is, however, not possible to provide a pacman command via environment variable, because I think it makes more sense to store it in a config file.
So do you mean it should be possible to use an environment variable as well?


I think Dan wants it to only be available through and environmental
variable and not in the makepkg.conf. That should already be possible
with your patch (as you point out, the line Dan suggested is already there).


I have no real preference but am leaning towards it not being included
in pacman.conf given the usage is expected to be low. If we are wrong
and it becomes very popular to use some wrapper, then we can always add
the config option later.


Allan
 
Old 11-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Cedric Staniewski
 
Default makepkg: add a config file option for the pacman binary to be used

Dan McGee wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
>> Cedric Staniewski wrote:
>>> Dan McGee wrote:
>>>> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Cedric Staniewski <cedric@gmx.ca> wrote:
>>>>> Implements FS#13028.
>>>>>
>>>>> Signed-off-by: Cedric Staniewski <cedric@gmx.ca>
>>>>> ---
>>>>> Oops... forgot to adjust the documentation. -T support is not required
>>>>> anymore for the pacman wrappers.
>>>> I think I'd rather see this as an environment variable- wouldn't that
>>>> make more sense, as we wouldn't require it to be specified by the vast
>>>> majority of people that just want to use the default?
>>>>
>>>> PACMAN=${PACMAN:-pacman} or whatever it is.
>>>>
>>>> -Dan
>>> Sorry Dan, but I do not get your point. This patch makes it possible to
>>> specify a pacman command in one of the makepkg.conf files, but it is not
>>> mandatory because of the reason you mentioned. I already use your line in my
>>> patch:
>>>
>>> +# set pacman command if not defined in config files
>>> +PACMAN=${PACMAN:-pacman}
>>> +
>>>
>>> It is, however, not possible to provide a pacman command via environment
>>> variable, because I think it makes more sense to store it in a config file.
>>> So do you mean it should be possible to use an environment variable as
>>> well?
>> I think Dan wants it to only be available through and environmental variable
>> and not in the makepkg.conf. That should already be possible with your
>> patch (as you point out, the line Dan suggested is already there).
>>
>> I have no real preference but am leaning towards it not being included in
>> pacman.conf given the usage is expected to be low. If we are wrong and it
>> becomes very popular to use some wrapper, then we can always add the config
>> option later.
>
> My suggestion was as Allan says; only do it in the environment. Of
> course, since makepkg.conf is just sourced anyway, then to each his
> own, but I'd rather not advertise it there at all.
>
> Why? Things like $BROWSER, $EDITOR, etc. are pretty standard and
> accepted variables. There is no reason that on an Arch system, $PACMAN
> shouldn't join that list. This would address other things, such as
> people always wanting to have it run with a certain command line flag,
> or perhaps always use a pacman.static binary, or anything like that.
> Maybe I'm making orange juice out of bananas, but yeah.
>
> -Dan
>

I'm fine with your approach and it would definitely have some
advantages, however I prefer documenting it somewhere. My worry is that
we run into side-effects when someone has set this variable to something
weird for some obscure reasons, but perhaps I am a bit too pessimistic here.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:49 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org