Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   ArchLinux Pacman Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-pacman-development/)
-   -   [pacman-dev] Bug with rxvt-unicode version check (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-pacman-development/2644-pacman-dev-bug-rxvt-unicode-version-check.html)

bardo 11-21-2007 11:45 PM

[pacman-dev] Bug with rxvt-unicode version check
 
Hi all.

I'm experiencing a strange problem: rxvt-unicode should be upgraded
from 8.4-1 to 8.5a-1, but when it comes the time of checking if the
package has been cached, 8.4-1 is marked as a match, and gets
installed instead of the new version. I can reproduce this whenever I
want, since pacman tries to upgrade rxvt-unicode with every -Su.

The relevant part of pacman -Syu --debug is attached, I can upload the
whole log if needed (~750KB).


Corrado
_______________________________________________
pacman-dev mailing list
pacman-dev@archlinux.org
http://archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/pacman-dev

Xavier 11-22-2007 09:19 AM

[pacman-dev] Bug with rxvt-unicode version check
 
On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 01:45:29AM +0100, bardo wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'm experiencing a strange problem: rxvt-unicode should be upgraded
> from 8.4-1 to 8.5a-1, but when it comes the time of checking if the
> package has been cached, 8.4-1 is marked as a match, and gets
> installed instead of the new version. I can reproduce this whenever I
> want, since pacman tries to upgrade rxvt-unicode with every -Su.
>
> The relevant part of pacman -Syu --debug is attached, I can upload the
> whole log if needed (~750KB).
>
>
> Corrado

This problem already happened. It's not a bug in pacman.
It's either an user (well, developer) mistake, or a bug in the repo scripts.

cat /var/lib/pacman/sync/extra/rxvt-unicode-8.5a-1/desc
%FILENAME%
rxvt-unicode-8.4-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz


_______________________________________________
pacman-dev mailing list
pacman-dev@archlinux.org
http://archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/pacman-dev

Xavier 11-22-2007 09:32 AM

[pacman-dev] Bug with rxvt-unicode version check
 
On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 11:19:58AM +0100, Xavier wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 01:45:29AM +0100, bardo wrote:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I'm experiencing a strange problem: rxvt-unicode should be upgraded
> > from 8.4-1 to 8.5a-1, but when it comes the time of checking if the
> > package has been cached, 8.4-1 is marked as a match, and gets
> > installed instead of the new version. I can reproduce this whenever I
> > want, since pacman tries to upgrade rxvt-unicode with every -Su.
> >
> > The relevant part of pacman -Syu --debug is attached, I can upload the
> > whole log if needed (~750KB).
> >
> >
> > Corrado
>
> This problem already happened. It's not a bug in pacman.
> It's either an user (well, developer) mistake, or a bug in the repo scripts.
>
> cat /var/lib/pacman/sync/extra/rxvt-unicode-8.5a-1/desc
> %FILENAME%
> rxvt-unicode-8.4-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz
>

Hm. this is not a pacman bug, but maybe pacman could have more sanity checks.
Maybe it could check that the FILENAME contains VERSION.
In the above case, it was :
%VERSION%
8.5a-1

Or once the package has been downloaded, it could also check its .PKGINFO,
and see that the version still match.

I think the first check should be quite easy, something like
strstr(pkg->filename. pkg->version).
But I don't know about the second.

In any cases. isn't it the repo scripts that should be safer to prevent these
problems in the first place?

_______________________________________________
pacman-dev mailing list
pacman-dev@archlinux.org
http://archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/pacman-dev

bardo 11-22-2007 09:34 AM

[pacman-dev] Bug with rxvt-unicode version check
 
2007/11/22, Xavier <shiningxc@gmail.com>:
> This problem already happened. It's not a bug in pacman.
> It's either an user (well, developer) mistake, or a bug in the repo scripts.
>
> cat /var/lib/pacman/sync/extra/rxvt-unicode-8.5a-1/desc
> %FILENAME%
> rxvt-unicode-8.4-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz

OK, thanks for the explanation.


Corrado

_______________________________________________
pacman-dev mailing list
pacman-dev@archlinux.org
http://archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/pacman-dev

"Dan McGee" 11-22-2007 04:37 PM

[pacman-dev] Bug with rxvt-unicode version check
 
On Nov 22, 2007 5:32 AM, Xavier <shiningxc@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This problem already happened. It's not a bug in pacman.
> > It's either an user (well, developer) mistake, or a bug in the repo scripts.
> >
> > cat /var/lib/pacman/sync/extra/rxvt-unicode-8.5a-1/desc
> > %FILENAME%
> > rxvt-unicode-8.4-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz
> >
>
> Hm. this is not a pacman bug, but maybe pacman could have more sanity checks.
> Maybe it could check that the FILENAME contains VERSION.

No, the whole point of the filename field is to decouple the filename
from being only based on the package name and version. We just happen
to name our files the way we do.

-Dan

_______________________________________________
pacman-dev mailing list
pacman-dev@archlinux.org
http://archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/pacman-dev

Xavier 11-22-2007 04:48 PM

[pacman-dev] Bug with rxvt-unicode version check
 
On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 12:37:21PM -0500, Dan McGee wrote:
> On Nov 22, 2007 5:32 AM, Xavier <shiningxc@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > This problem already happened. It's not a bug in pacman.
> > > It's either an user (well, developer) mistake, or a bug in the repo scripts.
> > >
> > > cat /var/lib/pacman/sync/extra/rxvt-unicode-8.5a-1/desc
> > > %FILENAME%
> > > rxvt-unicode-8.4-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz
> > >
> >
> > Hm. this is not a pacman bug, but maybe pacman could have more sanity checks.
> > Maybe it could check that the FILENAME contains VERSION.
>
> No, the whole point of the filename field is to decouple the filename
> from being only based on the package name and version. We just happen
> to name our files the way we do.
>

Decoupling it in which goal? Having filename independent from package name
and version, or introducing redundancy for more fiability?

I'm not suggesting to recompute the filename based on package name and
version. Only to check everything is coherent. And if it isn't, just fail.
Because, currently, what pacman does is very misleading.

_______________________________________________
pacman-dev mailing list
pacman-dev@archlinux.org
http://archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo/pacman-dev


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:09 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.