Old 03-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Default delay writes a fsync

Am Donnerstag, 12. März 2009 17:00:46 schrieb Xavier:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Adding an fsync() in the write_db_entry() call would probably make sense.
> >
> > However, note the funny part here- if we sync our DB entries, and then
> > your machine gets powered off, you might end up with a DB that got
> > committed but files in the package never actually got written to disk.
>
> Do we know that for sure? It depends on how libarchive is written, right?

This is interesting. I think we just need to make sure that the meta data are
written and the pacman.log. So, if something fails during a transaction the
user could reinstall the packages manually.

OT: I have read that Sun uses ZFS snapshots to implement transcation in their
package manager. Doing this on FS level seems to be the only sane way imho.
Its hard to revert the changes of an install script from pacman's point of
view.

--

Pierre Schmitz

Clemens-August-Straße 76