Old 03-10-2009, 03:40 AM
"Tim G"

Default MirrorBrain for mirrors?

Hey everyone,

I am not sure if it has been brought up before, but has anyone thought about
providing a MirrorBrain http repository? OpenSUSE has one at
http://download.opensuse.org/ and it works quite well. If we are able to
provide something like this, it would mean that we could provide transparent
mirroring. MirrorBrain even looks after creating mirror lists

http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.1/iso/openSUSE-11.1-KDE4-LiveCD
-i686.iso?mirrorlist

Anyways, have a look at it, http://mirrorbrain.org/features

--

Tim Groeneveld (Application Developer)

Digital Pacific

www.digitalpacific.com.au <http://www.digitalpacific.com.au/>

Old 03-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Dieter Plaetinck

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 15:40:43 +1100
"Tim G" <tim@digitalpacific.com.au> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>

> I am not sure if it has been brought up before, but has anyone
> thought about providing a MirrorBrain http repository? OpenSUSE has
> one at http://download.opensuse.org/ and it works quite well. If we
> are able to provide something like this, it would mean that we could
> provide transparent mirroring. MirrorBrain even looks after creating
> mirror lists
>

> http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.1/iso/openSUSE-11.1-KDE4-LiveCD
> -i686.iso?mirrorlist
>

> Anyways, have a look at it, http://mirrorbrain.org/features

Wow this looks cool. It could save us from some pratical issues we
have (such as "don't give out links like archlinux.org/.., we don't want
to much traffic there"). If I understand this correctly we can use
archlinux.org links everywhere and the redirection stuff will be taken
care of automatically. (that way we maybe don't need to throttle the
main mirror anymore?)
Also the tool to check which mirrors are incomplete and redirect
accordingly is nice.

Though if archlinux.org goes down, and pretty much everything links to
it, we have a bigger problem.

Dieter