Old 07-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Xavier

Default ignore lost+found in /var/lib/pacman when running -Sc

solsTiCe d'Hiver wrote:
> hi,
>
> i am running pacman db inside a loop (humm to speed up some pacman operation)
> and when i run pacman -Sc (or -Scc); i got
> Do you want to remove unused repositories? [Y/n] y
> Do you want to remove /var/lib/pacman/lost+found? [Y/n] n
>
> it's because i have a lost+found directory in /var/lib/pacman because it's the
> root of a filesystem.
>
> i find the question annyoing, as lost+found is NOT an unused repository.
>
> may be you could just ignore lost+found (on -Sc) so that the last question
> above is not asked ? that will be be really unfortunate if a real repo uses
> that name.
> so simply do not ask the user.
>
> on the other hand, as the user is asked about that where is the problem ?
> if ever there are some files in lost+found, he/she would have still plenty of
> time to fix it because he/she has to run manually a -Sc command. and if there
> is a problem the first to do is not to run -Sc !
>
> a good or bad idea ?
>
> your call

I think your patch is fine.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Nagy Gabor

> solsTiCe d'Hiver wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > i am running pacman db inside a loop (humm to speed up some pacman
> > operation) and when i run pacman -Sc (or -Scc); i got
> > Do you want to remove unused repositories? [Y/n] y
> > Do you want to remove /var/lib/pacman/lost+found? [Y/n] n
> >
> > it's because i have a lost+found directory in /var/lib/pacman
> > because it's the root of a filesystem.
> >
> > i find the question annyoing, as lost+found is NOT an unused
> > repository.
> >
> > may be you could just ignore lost+found (on -Sc) so that the last
> > question above is not asked ? that will be be really unfortunate if
> > a real repo uses that name.
> > so simply do not ask the user.
> >
> > on the other hand, as the user is asked about that where is the
> > problem ? if ever there are some files in lost+found, he/she would
> > have still plenty of time to fix it because he/she has to run
> > manually a -Sc command. and if there is a problem the first to do
> > is not to run -Sc !
> >
> > a good or bad idea ?
> >
> > your call
> >

> I think your patch is fine.

Yes, the patch is fine, but I don't like it:

This is too "specific". Tomorrow an other user will arrive that his foo
put bar directory to /var/lib/pacman.

This /var/lib/pacman "root-cleanup" was introduced because of the old
db format, and can be dropped soon (or make configurable), that would be
ideal.

I know that a configuration option for "skip-clean" is an
overkill, but it is still better (imho) than this hardcoded lost+found.

Bye

Old 07-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Nagy Gabor

Hm. I wasn't clear again.

> Yes, the patch is fine, but I don't like it:
>
> This is too "specific". Tomorrow an other user will arrive that his
> foo put bar directory to /var/lib/pacman.

Alternative I. (future):

> This /var/lib/pacman "root-cleanup" was introduced because of the old
> db format, and can be dropped soon (or make configurable), that would
> be ideal.

Alternative II (now, skip-clean-dir option):