Old 07-16-2008, 02:21 PM
"Hugo Doria"

Default pacman i18n

Hi everyone,

My name is Hugo and i am new in this ML, but i already contribute with
pacman's translations to pt_BR.

Recently i turned a Arch developer and i am creating a i18n project
for it. I would like to integrate all pacman's po files to the
project. I would also like to make all the translation process more
transparent.

The page of the project can be viewed here (i still need to finish some parts):

http://hdoria.archlinux-br.org/uploads/arch-i18n/arch-i18n.html

I will be moving it to dev.archlinux.org soon.

If you take a look on the page you will notice that i also created a
.POT file for repo-add (using xgettext). Where is the POT file that
you provide? I did not found.

I saw that pacman 3.2 is with string freeze and that a call for
translators was opened. This is the kind of thing that would fit in
this i18n project. How can integrate everything?

Thanks.

-- Hugo Doria

Old 07-16-2008, 02:45 PM
"甘露(Lu Gan)"

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 10:21 PM, Hugo Doria <hugodoria@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> My name is Hugo and i am new in this ML, but i already contribute with
> pacman's translations to pt_BR.
>
> Recently i turned a Arch developer and i am creating a i18n project
> for it. I would like to integrate all pacman's po files to the
> project. I would also like to make all the translation process more
> transparent.
>
> The page of the project can be viewed here (i still need to finish some parts):
>
> http://hdoria.archlinux-br.org/uploads/arch-i18n/arch-i18n.html
>
> I will be moving it to dev.archlinux.org soon.
>
> If you take a look on the page you will notice that i also created a
> .POT file for repo-add (using xgettext). Where is the POT file that
> you provide? I did not found.
>
> I saw that pacman 3.2 is with string freeze and that a call for
> translators was opened. This is the kind of thing that would fit in
> this i18n project. How can integrate everything?
>
> Thanks.
I can't access you page right now, may use tor for it later, but it's
a great news, Is there a i18n/l10n team to discuss/review Arch's under
hood i18n/l10n infrastructure, not only the translation?

Old 07-16-2008, 02:55 PM
"Hugo Doria"

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:45 AM, 甘露(Lu Gan) <rhythm.gan@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can't access you page right now, may use tor for it later, but it's
> a great news, Is there a i18n/l10n team to discuss/review Arch's under
> hood i18n/l10n infrastructure, not only the translation?

Not yet, but it is one of the project's goals. We want to improve Arch
applications and utilities to support and process different languages.
There are some Arch projects that does not support translations yet
(the installer, for example) and we want to change this sittuation.

-- Hugo

Old 07-16-2008, 03:00 PM
"甘露(Lu Gan)"

2008/7/16 Hugo Doria <hugodoria@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:45 AM, 甘露(Lu Gan) <rhythm.gan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I can't access you page right now, may use tor for it later, but it's
>> a great news, Is there a i18n/l10n team to discuss/review Arch's under
>> hood i18n/l10n infrastructure, not only the translation?
>
> Not yet, but it is one of the project's goals. We want to improve Arch
> applications and utilities to support and process different languages.
> There are some Arch projects that does not support translations yet
> (the installer, for example) and we want to change this sittuation.
You got my vote, I am more a translator than a programmer though, I
would report bugs that bug me (saying I opened installer i18n support,
:-))

Old 07-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Xavier

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 4:21 PM, Hugo Doria <hugodoria@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> My name is Hugo and i am new in this ML, but i already contribute with
> pacman's translations to pt_BR.
>
> Recently i turned a Arch developer and i am creating a i18n project
> for it. I would like to integrate all pacman's po files to the
> project. I would also like to make all the translation process more
> transparent.
>
> The page of the project can be viewed here (i still need to finish some parts):
>
> http://hdoria.archlinux-br.org/uploads/arch-i18n/arch-i18n.html
>
> I will be moving it to dev.archlinux.org soon.
>
> If you take a look on the page you will notice that i also created a
> .POT file for repo-add (using xgettext). Where is the POT file that
> you provide? I did not found.
>
> I saw that pacman 3.2 is with string freeze and that a call for
> translators was opened. This is the kind of thing that would fit in
> this i18n project. How can integrate everything?

As you saw in Dan's post, he is already hosting the .po files himself
for now, and he already has a list of pacman translators, which is
also in the git repo :
http://projects.archlinux.org/?p=pacman.git;a=blob;f=TRANSLATORS;hb=HEAD

In pacman source tree, we have one po/ subdirectory which contains the
translation of pacman frontend (src/pacman) and the scripts : makepkg,
repo-add and pacman-optimize (scripts),
and we have a second lib/libalpm/po subdirectory for translating the
libalpm backend (lib/libalpm)
I was thinking a while ago about having 3 po dir / files :
src/pacman/po : frontend
lib/libalpm/po : backend
scripts/po : scripts

But we decided it was not worth changing.
I think that for now, you should not maintain a separate and different
list of po files and maintainers, to avoid confusion and duplicated
work.
And after that, I don't know, we already changed the translation
procedure recently, for the 3.1 release, to make it easier for
translators.
Basically, Dan provides the .po files, the translators pick them,
translate and submit to the ML, then our translation lieutenant which
was voidnull made a git branch with one commit per translations, and
Dan would finally merge this.

I guess all the .po files could be hosted on the page of arch-i18n
project rather than on Dan's page, but what else are you proposing?

Old 07-16-2008, 03:28 PM
"Dan McGee"

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 9:21 AM, Hugo Doria <hugodoria@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> My name is Hugo and i am new in this ML, but i already contribute with
> pacman's translations to pt_BR.
>
> Recently i turned a Arch developer and i am creating a i18n project
> for it. I would like to integrate all pacman's po files to the
> project. I would also like to make all the translation process more
> transparent.
>
> The page of the project can be viewed here (i still need to finish some parts):
>
> http://hdoria.archlinux-br.org/uploads/arch-i18n/arch-i18n.html
>
> I will be moving it to dev.archlinux.org soon.
>
> If you take a look on the page you will notice that i also created a
> .POT file for repo-add (using xgettext). Where is the POT file that
> you provide? I did not found.
All these strings should already be in the pacman POT file. As Xavier
already said, the current translation layout is one for libalpm, and
one for every other "frontend" tool.

> I saw that pacman 3.2 is with string freeze and that a call for
> translators was opened. This is the kind of thing that would fit in
> this i18n project. How can integrate everything?
pacman is one of those things that shouldn't have tight integration
with Arch- I have been working on trying to decrease its Arch
dependence, not increase it. The translation files for pacman will
always remain separate from any other files. Of course, the
translators and effort put into this project can hopefully be pooled.

-Dan

Old 07-16-2008, 03:58 PM
"Hugo Doria"

Hi,

What I want is to have a central place where anyone interested in i18n
can have the necessary information to help with this.

IMHO this means, for example, have all the POT files of Arch's tools
(not only pacman) in one place. I do not want to make pacman more or
less dependent of Arch. What I want is that when people think "I want
to help translate Arch and its tools" they can find everything they
need in one place.

Dan can still host the POT files and I can only put a link to them at
the i18n project page. I think that have a translators list on the
page is important. This facilitates communication and can prevent
someone translate something that is already being translated.

I think that a good communication between the i18n project and pacman
is also essential. A notice of future dates of string freeze, for
example. Things will be easier now that I am a member of this ML.

As I spoke, the i18n project has several goals and help with pacman
translations is only part of this (an important one). I just want to
make life easier for translators. I do not want, in any way, hinder,
obstruct or cause any change in pacman's development.

Well, i am open to suggestions on how this integration can work or
whether we should forget this idea.

-- Hugo Doria

Old 07-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Matthias Gorissen

While I do not think that pacman's current translation process should be
changed, I welcome any other approach towards i18n/l10n. If you can come up
with a POT file for the installer, just count me in for the German version.
Of course, this means that several small files must be added to the images,
so nothing could be done without the consent of Simo or others.

Another point which has been discussed often over the last two years on this
list was translating man-pages. This has always been considered a good idea
with very little priority. So I decided to do some stuff before bringing this
issue up again, asked for help in the German forums (which I received) and
set up a project on my own. Like the pacman devs, we are using asciidoc to
produce html and groff versions. The first will allow us to mirror the entire
archlinux.org/pacman page at archlinux.de, to link directly to German
versions from our wiki, etc. The second is intended for building a locally
installable packages at a later date (with the appropriate form still needing
to be discussed).

I have not worked much on that recently, but is fair to say that all the hard
work has already done. The files are badly in need of corrections und
updates, though. Entire project history is here, btw:
http://git.archlinux.de/cgit.cgi?url=mpg/log/
Maybe it is still not to late to get a first version online jointly with
pacman 3.2.

Best regards,
Matt

Old 07-16-2008, 06:08 PM
"Hugo Doria"

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Matthias Gorissen
<matthias@archlinux.de> wrote:
> While I do not think that pacman's current translation process should be
> changed, I welcome any other approach towards i18n/l10n. If you can come up
> with a POT file for the installer, just count me in for the German version.
> Of course, this means that several small files must be added to the images,
> so nothing could be done without the consent of Simo or others.

I made a patch for the installer. It *probably* will be translatable
soon. Please, take a look here:

http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2008-July/006898.html
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10425

Simo need to do some clean on the code. I am just waiting him to patch
the installer again.

There will be no radical change in the pacman's translating process.
Dan can still host the files and voinull stays with his part, for
example. It's just a question of integration and this involves news,
information and instructions for the translation process.

These are just ideas and I am open to suggestions.

BTW, i liked the idea of translate the man-pages. I will take a look
at this later.

-- Hugo

Old 07-16-2008, 07:34 PM
Matthias Gorissen

Am Mittwoch 16 Juli 2008 20:08:11 schrieb Hugo Doria:

> I made a patch for the installer. It *probably* will be translatable
> soon. Please, take a look here:
>
> http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2008-July/006898.html
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10425
>
> Simo need to do some clean on the code. I am just waiting him to patch
> the installer again.

Thank you, as an occasional lurker on dev-public, I missed that.

> BTW, i liked the idea of translate the man-pages. I will take a look
> at this later.

I forgot to mention that there is already a similar project in France:
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?do_Details=1&ID=11180

Best regards,
Matt