Old 07-18-2008, 09:13 AM
Xavier

Default pacman i18n

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 5:58 PM, Hugo Doria <hugodoria@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dan can still host the POT files and I can only put a link to them at
> the i18n project page. I think that have a translators list on the
> page is important. This facilitates communication and can prevent
> someone translate something that is already being translated.

Dan already host all pot and po files, he already gave a link to them
and to translation instructions in the string freeze announcement :
http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2008-July/018245.html

While I am perfectly sure you only have good intentions, and the page
looks pretty cool, the content is currently not so nice. It provides
different pot files and different instructions than the pacman
project. I am worried someone could fall on that and start translating
from scratch a file that is already translated.
It also shows an incomplete and different list of translators for
pacman and libalpm.

For a project like the installer which has currently no translations,
that is all good.
For a project like pacman which already has translations and a way to
deal with them, you should either simply give links, or integrate the
same contents, information and instructions. Starting something in
parallel for this kind of stuff does not do any good in my opinion.

Though don't believe I am angry or anything, I am simply trying to
explain why I think the current page should be changed.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:26 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 4:13 AM, Xavier <shiningxc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 5:58 PM, Hugo Doria <hugodoria@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Dan can still host the POT files and I can only put a link to them at
>> the i18n project page. I think that have a translators list on the
>> page is important. This facilitates communication and can prevent
>> someone translate something that is already being translated.
>>

> Dan already host all pot and po files, he already gave a link to them
> and to translation instructions in the string freeze announcement :
> http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2008-July/018245.html
>
> While I am perfectly sure you only have good intentions, and the page
> looks pretty cool, the content is currently not so nice. It provides
> different pot files and different instructions than the pacman
> project. I am worried someone could fall on that and start translating
> from scratch a file that is already translated.
> It also shows an incomplete and different list of translators for
> pacman and libalpm.
>
> For a project like the installer which has currently no translations,
> that is all good.
> For a project like pacman which already has translations and a way to
> deal with them, you should either simply give links, or integrate the
> same contents, information and instructions. Starting something in
> parallel for this kind of stuff does not do any good in my opinion.
>
> Though don't believe I am angry or anything, I am simply trying to
> explain why I think the current page should be changed.

I have to side with Xavier here. Furthermore, I/we always liked to
think of pacman as a "non-Arch specific" project. That is, it's
attempted to be developed in a way such that other distros can
actually use it, and not just Arch. So integrating translations into
an Arch specific project is kinda breaking that separation

Old 07-18-2008, 04:39 PM
"Hugo Doria"

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 6:13 AM, Xavier <shiningxc@gmail.com> wrote:
> While I am perfectly sure you only have good intentions, and the page
> looks pretty cool, the content is currently not so nice. It provides
> different pot files and different instructions than the pacman
> project. I am worried someone could fall on that and start translating
> from scratch a file that is already translated.
> It also shows an incomplete and different list of translators for
> pacman and libalpm.

The list was incomplete because I'm still finishing the page. Now i
already added almost all translators, including those who were in the
PO headers, but not in Dan's mail.

I agree that the links should point to the Dan's host. I already updated them.

As I spoke before I do not want to change any translation process in
pacman and, even less, do something parallel. I just want to
concentrate the necessary information for it in one single place.

I've updated the page and I think now things are going the right way.
Please, take a second look:

http://dev.archlinux.org/~hugo/arch-i18n/

I am open to more suggestions.

Thanks.