Old 07-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Martin Sourada

Default plans for next releases (0.3.2.1 and 0.3.3)

Hi,

as you might know, we've recently published our first release on fedora
hosted (0.3.2) and I'll probably mark the update for F8/9 as stable
tomorrow or in Monday. Also being it first release of echo using the new
git layout + git branches, there are some little issues which I'll
address in 0.3.2.1 - I forgot to include license file in the tarball
some of the icons that were supposed to be in (drive-*) were updated
only in master branch (future 0.4.x), so I'll add them as well. Also
0.3.x branch is "SVG disabled" one, so I'll probably remove the scalable
icons from the tarball, to keep it smaller.

That's for the next bugfix release and now for the next feature release.
I've decided that one of the most important places to create icons in
the menus for now are the System sub-menus, where there are many icons
using neither echo nor gnome style and some of them are even blurry. The
first step to achieve that goal is to fill in the gaps in System ->
Administration menu. This one also includes filling bugs, because many
of the system-config-* tools have either .png in the icon references or
whole path in their desktop file, which prevents us from effectively
theming their menu entries.

I've created a milestone [1] and relevant bugs (hopefully with all the
needed info) in the echo trac to keep track of the process.

Because many of the icons are using same names as the apps and it makes
sense to keep rather generic names for those, I provide assorted tables
here. First suggestions for icons that are already in the icon naming
specs [2]:

icon name tool used in .desktop
preferences-desktop-locale Language Yes
printer Printing Yes
security-high Root Password No
system-software-update Update System Yes
video-display Display No

and those for which I propose an icon name as well (none of which are
used in the .desktop files of relevant tools):

icon name tool
preferences-system-authentication Authentication
preferences-system-bootloader Bootloader
preferences-system-date Date & Time
preferences-system-firewall Firewall
preferences-system-users Users and Groups
system-network-control Network Device Control
system-software-install Add/Remove Software
system-software-sources Software Sources
utilities-lvm Logical Volume Management

Any comments, suggestions, objections?

Thanks,
Martin

[2]
http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-latest.html

Old 07-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 22:55 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:

> icon name tool used in .desktop
> preferences-desktop-locale Language Yes
> printer Printing Yes
> security-high Root Password No
> system-software-update Update System Yes
> video-display Display No

security-high is a status icon, printer and video-display are device
icons. E.g. security-high is described as

The icon used to indicate that the security level of a connection is
known to be secure, using strong encryption and a valid certificate.

In the interest of keeping the spec meaningful, it would be much better
to add suitable names for application icons, rather than reusing
those icons. It is of course fine to use the same image for both in
an icon theme, if it is suitable. But I can easily imagine an image for
'secure connection' that doesn't work at all for 'root password'.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Martin Sourada

On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 17:16 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 22:55 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
>

> > icon name tool used in .desktop
> > preferences-desktop-locale Language Yes
> > printer Printing Yes
> > security-high Root Password No
> > system-software-update Update System Yes
> > video-display Display No
>

> security-high is a status icon, printer and video-display are device
> icons. E.g. security-high is described as
>
> The icon used to indicate that the security level of a connection is
> known to be secure, using strong encryption and a valid certificate.
>
> In the interest of keeping the spec meaningful, it would be much better
> to add suitable names for application icons, rather than reusing
> those icons. It is of course fine to use the same image for both in
> an icon theme, if it is suitable. But I can easily imagine an image for
> 'secure connection' that doesn't work at all for 'root password'.

You are probably right about the security-high. I tried to find an icon
in the specs that matches the original most, if any. As for the printer
and video-display, it seems to be common practice to use device icons
for device configuration tools - mouse, keyboard, printer - to name a
few. I don't see anything wrong with that. There's not much point IMHO,
about differentiating between device and device configuration tool
icons, because the usage is obvious from the context the icon is used in
- and having two names for one icon is IMHO overkill.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Martin Sourada

On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 17:16 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 22:55 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
>

> > icon name tool used in .desktop
> > preferences-desktop-locale Language Yes
> > printer Printing Yes
> > security-high Root Password No
> > system-software-update Update System Yes
> > video-display Display No
>

> security-high is a status icon, printer and video-display are device
> icons. E.g. security-high is described as
>
> The icon used to indicate that the security level of a connection is
> known to be secure, using strong encryption and a valid certificate.

In order to keep the specs more meaningful, I've changed the icon name
for Root Password to system-root-password, which is not in the current
verion of the icon naming specs. Any further comments / suggestions /
objections?

Thanks,
Martin