-   -   Remove --asroot switch from makepkg. (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-pacman-development/107398-remove-asroot-switch-makepkg.html)

Loui 06-15-2008 09:34 PM

Remove --asroot switch from makepkg.

I've found --asroot to be kind of a hand holding hindrance so I decided
to remove it. Here's the patch if anyone is interested. Cheers.___________________________________________ ____
pacman-dev mailing list
pacman-dev@archlinux.org

Xavier 06-15-2008 09:49 PM

Loui wrote:
> I've found --asroot to be kind of a hand holding hindrance so I decided
> to remove it. Here's the patch if anyone is interested. Cheers.

Actually I was thinking the same when I looked at the fakeroot stuff
recently.
So +1 from me.

It looks like there are quite a few other flags that could go as well,
at least in my opinion.

Xavier 06-15-2008 09:54 PM

Loui wrote:
> I've found --asroot to be kind of a hand holding hindrance so I decided
> to remove it. Here's the patch if anyone is interested. Cheers.

Any chance you can rebase this againt the current git master version?
For example, the usesudo option no longer exists there, while it appears
in your patch.

Loui 06-16-2008 01:20 AM

Remove --asroot switch from makepkg.

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 23:54:07 +0200
Xavier <shiningxc@gmail.com> wrote:

> Loui wrote:
> > I've found --asroot to be kind of a hand holding hindrance so I decided
> > to remove it. Here's the patch if anyone is interested. Cheers.
>
> Any chance you can rebase this againt the current git master version?
> For example, the usesudo option no longer exists there, while it appears
> in your patch.

Here's the patch rebased against master.___________________________________________ ____
pacman-dev mailing list
pacman-dev@archlinux.org

Allan McRae 06-16-2008 04:05 AM

Loui wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 23:54:07 +0200
> Xavier <shiningxc@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Loui wrote:
>>
>>> I've found --asroot to be kind of a hand holding hindrance so I decided
>>> to remove it. Here's the patch if anyone is interested. Cheers.
>>>
>> Any chance you can rebase this againt the current git master version?
>> For example, the usesudo option no longer exists there, while it appears
>> in your patch.
>>

> Here's the patch rebased against master.

As a bonus, you also fixed the bug I was going to point out. Can we go
back to the "permanent, catastrophic damage" rather than "serious
damage". The first one sounds more disastrous and people running
makepkg as root should be scared!

Loui 06-16-2008 04:34 AM

Remove --asroot switch from makepkg.

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:05:02 +1000
Allan McRae <mcrae_allan@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Loui wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 23:54:07 +0200
> > Xavier <shiningxc@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Any chance you can rebase this againt the current git master version?
> >> For example, the usesudo option no longer exists there, while it appears
> >> in your patch.
> >>

> > Here's the patch rebased against master.
>
> As a bonus, you also fixed the bug I was going to point out. Can we go
> back to the "permanent, catastrophic damage" rather than "serious
> damage". The first one sounds more disastrous and people running
> makepkg as root should be scared!

Maybe we could make it even scarier than "permanent, catastrophic" for
comic relief. Heheheh.

"permanent, catastrophic damage to your system, home, family, pets, the
planet, and or universe."

"Dan McGee" 06-18-2008 01:25 PM

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 11:34 PM, Loui <louipc.ist@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:05:02 +1000
> Allan McRae <mcrae_allan@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Loui wrote:

>> > Here's the patch rebased against master.
>>
>> As a bonus, you also fixed the bug I was going to point out. Can we go
>> back to the "permanent, catastrophic damage" rather than "serious
>> damage". The first one sounds more disastrous and people running
>> makepkg as root should be scared!
>
> Maybe we could make it even scarier than "permanent, catastrophic" for
> comic relief. Heheheh.
>
> "permanent, catastrophic damage to your system, home, family, pets, the
> planet, and or universe."

So when this patch first got sent, I saw it as something that was just
provided to the list for convenience, not really a candidate for
merging. Do you guys think this should make it into makepkg? I'm not
against removing options from makepkg, I just hadn't heard too many
complaints about this option after we added it and people got used to
it.

-Dan

Allan McRae 06-18-2008 01:41 PM

Dan McGee wrote:
> So when this patch first got sent, I saw it as something that was just
> provided to the list for convenience, not really a candidate for
> merging. Do you guys think this should make it into makepkg? I'm not
> against removing options from makepkg, I just hadn't heard too many
> complaints about this option after we added it and people got used to
> it.

Probably not. Using makepkg as root should be inconvenient. I'd say
the proportion of (new) users who would not see the warning message
would be quite high, especially as it will quickly be replaced by build
output.

Loui 06-18-2008 03:00 PM

Remove --asroot switch from makepkg.

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 08:25:14 -0500
"Dan McGee" <dpmcgee@gmail.com> wrote:

> So when this patch first got sent, I saw it as something that was just
> provided to the list for convenience, not really a candidate for
> merging. Do you guys think this should make it into makepkg? I'm not
> against removing options from makepkg, I just hadn't heard too many
> complaints about this option after we added it and people got used to
> it.

Well, my opinion is that makepkg shouldn't hinder an admin user any
more than say `rm -r /*` or other similar wonderfully destructive
commands. Besides, --asroot is yet another flag, adds more code and
complexity, and can hinder root users from even doing small non-build
tasks. I use makepkg as another user most of the time, but I'll use it
as root every once in awhile and I found --asroot to be a bit annoying.

Warnings are nice, but when you start to block functionality it really
becomes a babysitting feature.

Xavier 06-18-2008 03:25 PM

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Loui <louipc.ist@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, my opinion is that makepkg shouldn't hinder an admin user any
> more than say `rm -r /*` or other similar wonderfully destructive
> commands. Besides, --asroot is yet another flag, adds more code and
> complexity, and can hinder root users from even doing small non-build
> tasks. I use makepkg as another user most of the time, but I'll use it
> as root every once in awhile and I found --asroot to be a bit annoying.
>
> Warnings are nice, but when you start to block functionality it really
> becomes a babysitting feature.

I would never use it as root, and I agree with Allan that just issuing
a warning without stopping will probably have a much lower impact on
new users.
But I also agree with Loui that this is just a babysitting feature
that adds code and complexity. This does not really fit with Arch
general philosophy and user target.
On the other hand, the code and complexity of this option compared to
the overall code and complexity of makepkg is minor, and it is an
efficient way to educate new users.

So I am a bit divided now.. I don't care much either way.