Old 06-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Alessio Bolognino

Default Splitting packages in makepkg

On Mon 2008-06-16 10:56, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 11:24 AM, Sergej Pupykin <pupykin.s@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I like following idea:
> >
> > PKGBUILD
> > ------------------
> > pkgname=foobar
> > pkgver=1.0
> > pkgrel=1
> > subpackages=(dev doc)

> > build() {

> > make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install
> > make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg-dev install
> > make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg-doc install
> > }
> > ---------------
> >
> > According to subpackages array makepkg creates 3 dirs:
> > - $startdir/pkg (as usually)
> > - $startdir/pkg-dev
> > - $startdir/pkg-doc
> >
> > PKGBUILDs build function install all stuff into them
> >
> > And then, makepkg creates 3 packages:
> >
> > $pkgname-...pkg.tar.gz
> > $pkgname-dev-...pkg.tar.gz
> > $pkgname-doc-...pkg.tar.gz
>
> FTR I like this idea too. Just setup some way to use $pkgdir/foo/
> instead of $pkgdir (that's what the subpackages=() array does in the
> above example), and then the rest is free-form. It's the simplest IMO.

I see a downside in the proposed scheme: you can not create a package
without the $pkgname- suffix, e.g. you can't create the "kopete" or
"kmail" package from "kdenetwork". Moreover, you can't change the
pkgdesc for each sub-package, which can be useful.

Just my 2 eurocents

--
Alessio (molok) Bolognino

Please send personal email to themolok@gmail.com

Public Key http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xFE0270FB
GPG Key ID = 1024D / FE0270FB 2007-04-11
Key Fingerprint = 9AF8 9011 F271 450D 59CF 2D7D 96C9 8F2A FE02 70FB

Old 06-16-2008, 05:57 PM
"Sergej Pupykin"

> I see a downside in the proposed scheme: you can not create a package
> without the $pkgname- suffix, e.g. you can't create the "kopete" or
> "kmail" package from "kdenetwork". Moreover, you can't change the
> pkgdesc for each sub-package, which can be useful.

makepkg may use subpackages as a new package name

subpackages=(foo-dev foo-doc kmail kopete)

Old 06-16-2008, 06:28 PM
"Aaron Griffin"

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Sergej Pupykin <pupykin.s@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I see a downside in the proposed scheme: you can not create a package
>> without the $pkgname- suffix, e.g. you can't create the "kopete" or
>> "kmail" package from "kdenetwork". Moreover, you can't change the
>> pkgdesc for each sub-package, which can be useful.
>
> makepkg may use subpackages as a new package name
>
> subpackages=(foo-dev foo-doc kmail kopete)

Exactly what I was going to say - it's all hypothetical. We could use
$pkgdir/full-package-name/* for a subpackage "full-package-name"

Old 06-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Xavier

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Sergej Pupykin<pupykin.s@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I see a downside in the proposed scheme: you can not create a package
>>> without the $pkgname- suffix, e.g. you can't create the "kopete" or
>>> "kmail" package from "kdenetwork". Moreover, you can't change the
>>> pkgdesc for each sub-package, which can be useful.
>> makepkg may use subpackages as a new package name
>>
>> subpackages=(foo-dev foo-doc kmail kopete)
>
> Exactly what I was going to say - it's all hypothetical. We could use
> $pkgdir/full-package-name/* for a subpackage "full-package-name"

Does that answer the second concern about pkgdesc? There are several
other variables that could change as well (backup, group, etc)

Old 06-16-2008, 07:32 PM
"Sergej Pupykin"

> Does that answer the second concern about pkgdesc? There are several
> other variables that could change as well (backup, group, etc)

We may use single backup. I do not think that the same file should be
backuped in one package and should not be in another. More over it
means these are conflicting packages splitted from one.

about desc and group:

subpackages=(dev doc)
pkgdesc = "qweqwe"
pkgdesc_dev="asdasd"
pkgdesc_doc="zxczxc"
groups=()
groups_dev=()
groups_doc=()

may be replace subpackages with
pkgname=(foo foo-dev foo-doc)
?

Old 06-16-2008, 07:42 PM
"Sergej Pupykin"

> pkgdesc_dev="asdasd"
> pkgdesc_doc="zxczxc"
> groups_dev=()
> groups_doc=()

are not mandatory of course. pkgdesc and groups used if these vars are not set.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Miklos Vajna

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 11:32:35PM +0400, Sergej Pupykin <pupykin.s@gmail.com> wrote:
> pkgdesc = "qweqwe"

^ this won't work in sh

> pkgdesc_dev="asdasd"
> pkgdesc_doc="zxczxc"
> groups=()
> groups_dev=()
> groups_doc=()

and this is where you make it impossible to name a subpkg 'kopete',
right?

how would that handle the case when for example openoffice.org-i18n-de
is split from openoffice.org?

(given that the implementation we have in pacman-g2 was already flamed
off here, iirc - i don't want to hype it here, but that one deals with
such a problem properly.)

Old 06-16-2008, 09:31 PM
"Dan McGee"

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 4:24 PM, Miklos Vajna <vmiklos@frugalware.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 11:32:35PM +0400, Sergej Pupykin <pupykin.s@gmail.com> wrote:
>> pkgdesc = "qweqwe"
>
> ^ this won't work in sh
>
>> pkgdesc_dev="asdasd"
>> pkgdesc_doc="zxczxc"
>> groups=()
>> groups_dev=()
>> groups_doc=()
>
> and this is where you make it impossible to name a subpkg 'kopete',
> right?
>
> how would that handle the case when for example openoffice.org-i18n-de
> is split from openoffice.org?
>
> (given that the implementation we have in pacman-g2 was already flamed
> off here, iirc - i don't want to hype it here, but that one deals with
> such a problem properly.)

Can you possibly give us an overview of how it works? I think it would
be quite relevant to this discussion as it is actually a system that
is used, rather than a bunch of "well this might work" scenarios.

-Dan

Old 06-17-2008, 02:06 AM
Geoffroy Carrier

Ooor... Define pkgname-common-sources/PKGBUILD's source, md5sums, etc.
and install them in /usr/share/pkgname/common-sources
Then in each subpackage, pkgname-subpkgs/PKGBUILD contains depends=(... pkgname-common-sources)
You can ln -sf /usr/share/pkgname/common-sources "$srcdir/$pkgname" if you
wish.

--
Geoffroy Carrier
http://gcarrier.koon.fr/

Old 06-17-2008, 07:50 AM
"Roman Kyrylych"

2008/6/16 Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 11:24 AM, Sergej Pupykin <pupykin.s@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I like following idea:
>>
>> PKGBUILD
>> ------------------
>> pkgname=foobar
>> pkgver=1.0
>> pkgrel=1
>> subpackages=(dev doc)

>> build() {

>> make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install
>> make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg-dev install
>> make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg-doc install
>> }
>> ---------------
>>
>> According to subpackages array makepkg creates 3 dirs:
>> - $startdir/pkg (as usually)
>> - $startdir/pkg-dev
>> - $startdir/pkg-doc
>>
>> PKGBUILDs build function install all stuff into them
>>
>> And then, makepkg creates 3 packages:
>>
>> $pkgname-...pkg.tar.gz
>> $pkgname-dev-...pkg.tar.gz
>> $pkgname-doc-...pkg.tar.gz
>
> FTR I like this idea too. Just setup some way to use $pkgdir/foo/
> instead of $pkgdir (that's what the subpackages=() array does in the
> above example), and then the rest is free-form. It's the simplest IMO.

It's my favourite too.

--
Roman Kyrylych (*оман Кирилич)