Old 10-16-2012, 01:50 AM
Gaetan Bisson

Default Final step before changing to systemd

[2012-10-15 22:25:58 -0300] Martín Cigorraga:
> Basically I need to know how to handle these daemons:
> hwclock

Ditch it. Use NTP instead:

sudo pacman -Syu ntp
systemctl start ntpd.service

> dbus

Do nothing. It will be automatically pulled by services that need it.

> netfs

Well, do you actually have network filesystems you wish to mount?

--
Gaetan

Old 10-16-2012, 01:56 AM
Martín Cigorraga

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 10:50 PM, Gaetan Bisson <bisson@archlinux.org>wrote:

> [2012-10-15 22:25:58 -0300] Martín Cigorraga:
> > Basically I need to know how to handle these daemons:
> > hwclock
>
> Ditch it. Use NTP instead:
>
> sudo pacman -Syu ntp
> systemctl start ntpd.service
>
> > dbus
>
> Do nothing. It will be automatically pulled by services that need it.

Excellent.

> > netfs
>
> Well, do you actually have network filesystems you wish to mount?
>
> --
> Gaetan

Yes I do, I have several NFS4 shares in my household network but I'm
looking forward
to implement Avahi/Zeroconf instead since NFS4 takes ages to give up at
boot if the
servers are offline.
Should I still enable the service then?
Thank you!

Old 10-16-2012, 02:37 AM
Gaetan Bisson

[2012-10-15 22:56:26 -0300] Martín Cigorraga:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 10:50 PM, Gaetan Bisson <bisson@archlinux.org>wrote:
>
> > Well, do you actually have network filesystems you wish to mount?
>
> Yes I do, I have several NFS4 shares in my household network but I'm
> looking forward
> to implement Avahi/Zeroconf instead since NFS4 takes ages to give up at
> boot if the
> servers are offline.
> Should I still enable the service then?

I have no idea but I found this nifty page for you:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd#Remote_filesystem_mounts

"Systemd automatically makes sure that remote filesystem mounts
like NFS or Samba are only started after the network has been
set up. Therefore remote filesystem mounts specified in
/etc/fstab should work out of the box."

Sounds like a winner. Enjoy!

--
Gaetan