Old 10-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Robbie Smith

Default Debugging kernel panics (ATI Catalyst related?)

After the last updates, I was getting a kernel panic at reboot;
hard-resetting and then powering on again and it seems to boot fine.

I suspect the problem has to do with the ATI Catalyst driver, as the
panics occurred when rebooting after upgrading or downgrading the
driver. I originally upgraded to 12.9, but rolled back to 12.8 after
discovering that 12.9 broke my screen brightness keys. I also had to
roll back Xorg to 1.12 because Catalyst doesn't support the new Xorg yet.

Both times I rebuilt the module and (just to be sure) the kernel image
before rebooting. I rebuilt them again once the system was back up,
rebooted, and it worked.

Any ideas how to debug, seeing as this just sort of popped up
out-of-the-blue? If the kernel even logs a panic, where do I find it so
I can figure out what caused it?

Old 10-15-2012, 04:11 AM
Martín Cigorraga

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Robbie Smith <zoqaeski@gmail.com> wrote:

> After the last updates, I was getting a kernel panic at reboot;
> hard-resetting and then powering on again and it seems to boot fine.
>
> I suspect the problem has to do with the ATI Catalyst driver, as the
> panics occurred when rebooting after upgrading or downgrading the driver. I
> originally upgraded to 12.9, but rolled back to 12.8 after discovering that
> 12.9 broke my screen brightness keys. I also had to roll back Xorg to 1.12
> because Catalyst doesn't support the new Xorg yet.
>
> Both times I rebuilt the module and (just to be sure) the kernel image
> before rebooting. I rebuilt them again once the system was back up,
> rebooted, and it worked.
>
> Any ideas how to debug, seeing as this just sort of popped up
> out-of-the-blue? If the kernel even logs a panic, where do I find it so I
> can figure out what caused it?

I myself am suited with Radeon opensource drivers for all my needs -
GoogleEarth and Blender, you should try it.
As for your Catalyst specific glitchs it might be a better place to post
your issue at the AMD / ATi Bar & Grill at the forums since that thread is
created and maintained by Vi0L0 himself, the Catalyst packager and
supporter:

Old 10-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Robbie Smith

[...]

I couldn't get the open-source drivers to work, all I got was a blank
screen, and that was from fresh install. I had a look at the road map
for the Xorg drivers and I got the impression that work on the driver
that supports my cards is far from complete.

The only reason I'm suspecting Catalyst is because those were the
updates done prior to the panics, and I can't replicate it now.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 20:39 +1100, Robbie Smith wrote:
> > I myself am suited with Radeon opensource drivers for all my needs -
> > GoogleEarth and Blender, you should try it.

> I couldn't get the open-source drivers to work, all I got was a blank
> screen, and that was from fresh install. I had a look at the road map
> for the Xorg drivers and I got the impression that work on the driver
> that supports my cards is far from complete.
>
> The only reason I'm suspecting Catalyst is because those were the
> updates done prior to the panics, and I can't replicate it now.

I didn't follow the thread. Do you use a xorg.conf?

Perhaps you can use my xorg.conf as a template.

[spinymouse@archlinux ~]$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "Module"
Load "extmod"
Load "dri"
Load "dbe"
Load "dri2"
Load "glx"
Load "record"
Load "GLcore"
#Load "v4l"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Plug 'n' Play"
ModelName "Plug 'n' Play"
DisplaySize 305 230
HorizSync 29-98
VertRefresh 50-120
modeline "1152x864" 128.42 1152 1232 1360 1568 864 865 868 910
Gamma 1.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
### Available Driver options are:-
### [arg]: arg optional
#Option "SWcursor" # [<bool>]
#Option "HWcursor" # [<bool>]
#Option "NoAccel" # [<bool>]
#Option "ShadowFB" # [<bool>]
#Option "VideoKey" # <i>
#Option "MergedFB" "off" #old debian/ubuntu
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "radeon"
#Driver "nvidia"
#Driver "nv"
#Driver "nouveau"
#Driver "vesa"
#VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
#BoardName "G72 [GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS]"
#BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"

Defaultdepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1152x864"
#Virtual 3840 1200
EndSubSection

# SubSection "Display"
# Viewport 0 0
# Depth 1
# EndSubSection
# SubSection "Display"
# Viewport 0 0
# Depth 4
# EndSubSection
# SubSection "Display"
# Viewport 0 0
# Depth 8
# EndSubSection
# SubSection "Display"
# Viewport 0 0
# Depth 15
# EndSubSection
# SubSection "Display"
# Viewport 0 0
# Depth 16
# EndSubSection
# SubSection "Display"
# Viewport 0 0
# Depth 24
# EndSubSection
EndSection

Regards,
Ralf

PS:
At the moment I AGAIN struggle with graphics myself. However, on Arch I
get the graphics working with the wanted frequencies and resolution, 3D
is working too (tested with GoogleEarth), unfortunately I run into audio
xruns hell, perhaps not related to the graphics, but it shares the IRQ
with the audio card. For Ubuntu I'm limited to a max of 1024x768@60Hz at
the moment, but until now I didn't notice audio issues. Once I switched
from the integrated ATI to a NVIDIA card and now I switched back to the
onboard ATI . Sometimes it's less time consuming to switch graphics. I
got my secondhand NVIDIA "for a song". Current Catalyst doesn't support
my graphics, an issue I never got for old NVIDIA cards. I made better
experiences with NVIDIA than with ATI, I anyway switch back to ATI at
the moment .

Old 10-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Martín Cigorraga

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 6:39 AM, Robbie Smith <zoqaeski@gmail.com> wrote:

> The only reason I'm suspecting Catalyst is because those were the updates
> done prior to the panics, and I can't replicate it now.

I forget to ask, if you still have the error logs (/var/log/) may be you
want to post them to pastie.org or any similar service.