-   -   systemd units order (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/712244-systemd-units-order.html)

Arno Gaboury 10-14-2012 12:22 PM

systemd units order

Dear list,

I automatic login with systemd. I recently added 2 services, and they
start AFTER the login prompt, so I lost it. Not a big deal, as pressing
<Enter> gives it back.
I tried with no sucess playing with the After and Before options for one
unit file (netcfg). I would like to have a clean boot but does not know
how to properly set up the units orders.

Here are the unit files of the 2 services : http://sprunge.us/ZQWD

TY for help.

Rodrigo Rivas 10-14-2012 11:09 PM

systemd units order

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Arno Gaboury <arnaud.gaboury@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I automatic login with systemd. I recently added 2 services, and they
> start AFTER the login prompt, so I lost it. Not a big deal, as pressing
> <Enter> gives it back.
> I tried with no sucess playing with the After and Before options for one
> unit file (netcfg). I would like to have a clean boot but does not know
> how to properly set up the units orders.
>
> The problem probably that these messages are printed *after* the service
is fully started (they are logging messages), so the Before= and After=
options are of no use there.

You may have better luck with the TTYPath= option. Or even adding
"console=tty7" into the kernel command line.

Here are the unit files of the 2 services : http://sprunge.us/ZQWD

BTW, your link does not have any unit file, only a "systemd status" output.

--
Rodrigo

Arno Gaboury 10-15-2012 05:46 PM

systemd units order

On 15/10/12||01:09, Rodrigo Rivas wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Arno
> Gaboury¬ <[1]arnaud.gaboury@gmail.com>¬ wrote:
>
> Dear list,
> I automatic login with systemd. I recently added 2 services, and
> they
> start AFTER the login prompt, so I lost it. Not a big deal, as
> pressing
> <Enter> gives it back.
> I tried with no sucess playing with the After and Before options for
> one
> unit file (netcfg). I would like to have a clean boot but does not
> know
> how to properly set up the units orders.
>
> The problem probably that these messages are printed *after* the
> service is fully started (they are logging messages), so the Before=
> and After= options are of no use there.
>
> You may have better luck with the TTYPath= option. Or even adding
> "console=tty7" into the kernel command line.
>
> Here are the unit files of the 2 services
> :¬ [2]http://sprunge.us/ZQWD
>
> ¬
> BTW, your link does not have any unit file, only a "systemd status"
> output.
>
> --
>
> Rodrigo

Sorry for the messed paste.
The 2 units files are libvirtd.service and netcfg.service.
I added in both files Before=getty.service

Now I have the login prompt at the end. The remaining issue is I still
have mixed in the boot list :
No mail
last login....

I don't know how to place then at the end too, as I have no idea what
unit print these messages.

Christoph Vigano 10-15-2012 06:30 PM

systemd units order

On 10/15/12 at 07:46pm, Arno Gaboury wrote:
> On 15/10/12||01:09, Rodrigo Rivas wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Arno
> > Gaboury¬ <[1]arnaud.gaboury@gmail.com>¬ wrote:
> >
> > Dear list,
> > I automatic login with systemd. I recently added 2 services, and
> > they
> > start AFTER the login prompt, so I lost it. Not a big deal, as
> > pressing
> > <Enter> gives it back.
> > I tried with no sucess playing with the After and Before options for
> > one
> > unit file (netcfg). I would like to have a clean boot but does not
> > know
> > how to properly set up the units orders.
> >
> > The problem probably that these messages are printed *after* the
> > service is fully started (they are logging messages), so the Before=
> > and After= options are of no use there.
> >
> > You may have better luck with the TTYPath= option. Or even adding
> > "console=tty7" into the kernel command line.
> >
> > Here are the unit files of the 2 services
> > :¬ [2]http://sprunge.us/ZQWD
> >
> > ¬
> > BTW, your link does not have any unit file, only a "systemd status"
> > output.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Rodrigo
> >
> Sorry for the messed paste.
> The 2 units files are libvirtd.service and netcfg.service.
> I added in both files Before=getty.service
>
> Now I have the login prompt at the end. The remaining issue is I still
> have mixed in the boot list :
> No mail
> last login....
>
> I don't know how to place then at the end too, as I have no idea what
> unit print these messages.
> > References
> >
> > 1. mailto:arnaud.gaboury@gmail.com
> > 2. http://sprunge.us/ZQWD

Did you set yp the automatic login according to [0]?
One note there says the following about
/etc/systemd/system/autologin@.service:

"Note: Type=simple can cause systemd boot-up messages to pollute the
login prompt."

That could be worth a check.

Links:
[0]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Automatic_login_to_virtual_console#With_systemd

Greetings,
Christoph
--
Christoph Vigano
AUR / IRC: kritztopf

Christoph Vigano 10-15-2012 06:42 PM

systemd units order

On 10/15/12 at 07:46pm, Arno Gaboury wrote:
> On 15/10/12||01:09, Rodrigo Rivas wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Arno
> > Gaboury¬ <[1]arnaud.gaboury@gmail.com>¬ wrote:
> >
> > Dear list,
> > I automatic login with systemd. I recently added 2 services, and
> > they
> > start AFTER the login prompt, so I lost it. Not a big deal, as
> > pressing
> > <Enter> gives it back.
> > I tried with no sucess playing with the After and Before options for
> > one
> > unit file (netcfg). I would like to have a clean boot but does not
> > know
> > how to properly set up the units orders.
> >
> > The problem probably that these messages are printed *after* the
> > service is fully started (they are logging messages), so the Before=
> > and After= options are of no use there.
> >
> > You may have better luck with the TTYPath= option. Or even adding
> > "console=tty7" into the kernel command line.
> >
> > Here are the unit files of the 2 services
> > :¬ [2]http://sprunge.us/ZQWD
> >
> > ¬
> > BTW, your link does not have any unit file, only a "systemd status"
> > output.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Rodrigo
> >
> Sorry for the messed paste.
> The 2 units files are libvirtd.service and netcfg.service.
> I added in both files Before=getty.service
>
> Now I have the login prompt at the end. The remaining issue is I still
> have mixed in the boot list :
> No mail
> last login....
>
> I don't know how to place then at the end too, as I have no idea what
> unit print these messages.
> > References
> >
> > 1. mailto:arnaud.gaboury@gmail.com
> > 2. http://sprunge.us/ZQWD

Oh well, sorry for the noise, but aren't those the normal messages
everyone gets after logging in on the console? I think these are spawned
through PAM, but I'm not sure about that.

Anyone else?

Arno Gaboury 10-15-2012 06:43 PM

systemd units order

On 15/10/12||20:30, Christoph Vigano wrote:
> On 10/15/12 at 07:46pm, Arno Gaboury wrote:
> > On 15/10/12||01:09, Rodrigo Rivas wrote:
> > > On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Arno
> > > Gaboury¬ <[1]arnaud.gaboury@gmail.com>¬ wrote:
> > >
> > > Dear list,
> > > I automatic login with systemd. I recently added 2 services, and
> > > they
> > > start AFTER the login prompt, so I lost it. Not a big deal, as
> > > pressing
> > > <Enter> gives it back.
> > > I tried with no sucess playing with the After and Before options for
> > > one
> > > unit file (netcfg). I would like to have a clean boot but does not
> > > know
> > > how to properly set up the units orders.
> > >
> > > The problem probably that these messages are printed *after* the
> > > service is fully started (they are logging messages), so the Before=
> > > and After= options are of no use there.
> > >
> > > You may have better luck with the TTYPath= option. Or even adding
> > > "console=tty7" into the kernel command line.
> > >
> > > Here are the unit files of the 2 services
> > > :¬ [2]http://sprunge.us/ZQWD
> > >
> > > ¬
> > > BTW, your link does not have any unit file, only a "systemd status"
> > > output.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Rodrigo
> > >
> > Sorry for the messed paste.
> > The 2 units files are libvirtd.service and netcfg.service.
> > I added in both files Before=getty.service
> >
> > Now I have the login prompt at the end. The remaining issue is I still
> > have mixed in the boot list :
> > No mail
> > last login....
> >
> > I don't know how to place then at the end too, as I have no idea what
> > unit print these messages.
> > > References
> > >
> > > 1. mailto:arnaud.gaboury@gmail.com
> > > 2. http://sprunge.us/ZQWD
>
> Did you set yp the automatic login according to [0]?
> One note there says the following about
> /etc/systemd/system/autologin@.service:
>
> "Note: Type=simple can cause systemd boot-up messages to pollute the
> login prompt."
>
> That could be worth a check.
>
> Links:
> [0]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Automatic_login_to_virtual_console#With_systemd
>

> Greetings,
> Christoph
> --
> Christoph Vigano
> AUR / IRC: kritztopf
> BBS: kritter

Type=idle

which is, according to what I understood, the right argument.
I $startx at login prompt.