-   -   syetemd + crypttab - question (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/712169-syetemd-crypttab-question.html)

Genes MailLists 10-14-2012 12:27 AM

syetemd + crypttab - question

I just converted a laptop with encrypted /home and /swap to systemd -
initscripts has been removed. Luks via standard (new) /etc/crypttab

Things went swimmingly well (thank you to those who contributed to the
wiki).

One thing is a bit less than ideal - at boot - the prompt for luks
password appears - but the screen gets ovrewritten with other 'stuff' -
I can type the password fine its just not directly after the prompt
where the *** get written - assume its the parallel boot and other
things want to say 'ok'.

Is there a 'nice' way to handle this?

Thanks

gene

[testing repo - fully updated]

Rafael Beraldo 10-14-2012 02:09 AM

syetemd + crypttab - question

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 9:27 PM, Genes MailLists <lists@sapience.com> wrote:

> I just converted a laptop with encrypted /home and /swap to systemd -
> initscripts has been removed. Luks via standard (new) /etc/crypttab
>
> Things went swimmingly well (thank you to those who contributed to the
> wiki).
>
> One thing is a bit less than ideal - at boot - the prompt for luks
> password appears - but the screen gets ovrewritten with other 'stuff' - I
> can type the password fine its just not directly after the prompt where the
> *** get written - assume its the parallel boot and other things want to say
> 'ok'.
>
> Is there a 'nice' way to handle this?
>
> Thanks
>
> gene
>

> [testing repo - fully updated]

That's a very good question, and I only solved that by passing the
quiet boot argument on the GRUB kernel line. I'm sure better solutions
will come up, since it's kinda cool to see all the daemons initializing.

--
Rafael Beraldo
cabaladada.org

10-14-2012 07:43 AM

syetemd + crypttab - question

On 10/14/2012 at 3:13 AM, "Genes MailLists" <lists@sapience.com> wrote:

>I just converted a laptop with encrypted /home and /swap to
>systemd -
>initscripts has been removed. Luks via standard (new) /etc/crypttab
>
>Things went swimmingly well (thank you to those who contributed to
>the
>wiki).
>
>One thing is a bit less than ideal - at boot - the prompt for luks
>password appears - but the screen gets ovrewritten with other
>'stuff' -
>I can type the password fine its just not directly after the
>prompt
>where the *** get written - assume its the parallel boot and other
>things want to say 'ok'.
>
>Is there a 'nice' way to handle this?
>
>Thanks
>
>gene
>

>[testing repo - fully updated]

I'd recommend playing around a bit with the "loglevel" kernel parameter. You might find a level where this output is omitted.
I personally just went to booting "quiet" after I finished testing systemd for my systems.

mfg narve
after my initial testing of systemd was finished.