Old 10-12-2012, 03:36 AM
kendell clark

Default Introduction from a blind arch user

Hi all:
I've just recently begun tentatively using arch on a usb thumb drive. I
am blind, so I use the arch linux for the blind image to install. I'm
writing to ask what other blind arch linux users as a desktop, since
that's what I've become used to using. I don't know much about gnome 3
but would be willing to try it, or any other desktop that works well
with orca.

Thanks
Kendell clark

Old 10-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Kyle

It is possible to install your choice of GNOME, KDE, XFCE and/or LXDE on
your Arch system. I use GNOME3 here with no difficulty. If you find you
don't like gnome-shell, you can force fallback mode, either by setting
it in system settings -> graphics or by removing the gnome-shell package
from your system. Orca is in the gnome-extra group, so installing gnome
and gnome-extra will give you a system that you can get talking with a
minimum amount of effort. As for KDE, I wouldn't recommend it for daily
use just yet, although usability is progressing rapidly. You can get qt
apps talking even in GNOME, LXDE and XFCE by grabbing the qt-at-spi-git
package from AUR. I have heard of some blind users who were able to get
LXDE and XFCE talking, but your results may vary, especially since there
are few people who actually have experience with such an installation at
the moment. However, don't let that discourage you from trying either or
both. One of the things that makes Arch great is the fact that you can
try everything and keep only what you want. Hope this helps.

~Kyle
--
Linux killed Kenny, bastard!

Old 10-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Řyvind Heggstad

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 22:36:33 -0500
kendell clark <coffeekingms@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all:
> I've just recently begun tentatively using arch on a usb thumb drive.
> I am blind, so I use the arch linux for the blind image to install.
> I'm writing to ask what other blind arch linux users as a desktop,
> since that's what I've become used to using. I don't know much about
> gnome 3 but would be willing to try it, or any other desktop that
> works well with orca.
> Thanks
> Kendell clark

I'm not blind, but my local lug has a few blinder users, and I've
worked with a few too. Most of them prefer either pure tty or a
tiling wm. They are all braille users though, so if you prefer
text2speach instead ymmv.