-   -   systemd transition on virtual server - help needed (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/711008-systemd-transition-virtual-server-help-needed.html)

Florian Bruhin 10-09-2012 06:34 PM

systemd transition on virtual server - help needed

Hi,

* G. Schlisio <g.schlisio@gmx.de> [2012-10-09 17:43:17 +0200]:
> i am running an arch server (x84_64) inside a virtual private server.
> now that systemd smoothly comes to be standart, i would like to
> understand, how this affects my machine.

you _should_ be able to continue using initscripts for some while even
when systemd is the default.

> as this is a vps, i have no control over the running kernel, which
> is a 2.6.36.4-vs2.3.0.36.39-netcup atm. (netcup is a german
> webhosting provider).

This kernel version is more or less 2 years old, I'd suggest telling
your provider to upgrade.

Systemd needs at least 2.6.39 I think, and also some options (see [1])
enabled, so I think it's safe to say systemd won't run on your VPS.

> at what point will i (propably) get in trouble because of systemd,
> when (if ever) will i be unable to boot with this machine if i keep
> updating?

At the point there's an upgrade with systemd replacing sysvinit.
I'd add systemd and systemd-sysvcompat to IgnorePkg in
/etc/pacman.conf and hope.

Florian

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd#Q:_What_kernel_options_do_I_need_to_enable _in_my_kernel_in_case_I_do_not_use_the_official_Ar ch_kernel.3F
--
O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail www.asciiribbon.org
www.the-compiler.org | I love long mails http://email.is-not-s.ms/

Thomas Bächler 10-09-2012 10:01 PM

Am 09.10.2012 20:34, schrieb Florian Bruhin:
> At the point there's an upgrade with systemd replacing sysvinit.
> I'd add systemd and systemd-sysvcompat to IgnorePkg in
> /etc/pacman.conf and hope.

Bad idea. initscripts require the systemd package, even when you don't
run systemd itself.

There are no immediate plans to drop the initscripts and sysvinit
packages - and there will be an announcement before that.

Tom Gundersen 10-09-2012 10:03 PM

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 12:01 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 09.10.2012 20:34, schrieb Florian Bruhin:
>> At the point there's an upgrade with systemd replacing sysvinit.
>> I'd add systemd and systemd-sysvcompat to IgnorePkg in
>> /etc/pacman.conf and hope.
>
> Bad idea. initscripts require the systemd package, even when you don't
> run systemd itself.
>
> There are no immediate plans to drop the initscripts and sysvinit
> packages - and there will be an announcement before that.

Just don't install systemd-sysvcompat, no need to hold back the systemd package.

-t

Abdul Halim Mat Ali 10-10-2012 05:36 AM

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 11:43 PM, G. Schlisio <g.schlisio@gmx.de> wrote:

> hi list,
> i am running an arch server (x84_64) inside a virtual private server.

This might be related to your question. But I am wondering which VPS
provider provides a 64-bit kernel.

10-10-2012 08:04 AM

He said:
"as this is a vps, i have no control over the running kernel, which is a
2.6.36.4-vs2.3.0.36.39-netcup atm. (netcup is a german webhosting provider)."
So I'd suggest you check out netcup.de :)

mfg narve

"G. Schlisio" 10-10-2012 10:06 AM

Am 10.10.2012 07:36, schrieb Abdul Halim Mat Ali:

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 11:43 PM, G. Schlisio <g.schlisio@gmx.de> wrote:

hi list,
i am running an arch server (x84_64) inside a virtual private server.

This might be related to your question. But I am wondering which VPS
provider provides a 64-bit kernel.

as indicated in my initial post, provider is netcup. somehow, they just
provide 64bit systems [1].

[1] http://www.netcup.de/vserver/vserver_guenstig_qualitaet.php (german)

David Benfell 10-10-2012 09:49 PM

On 10/09/2012 10:36 PM, Abdul Halim Mat Ali wrote:

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 11:43 PM, G. Schlisio <g.schlisio@gmx.de> wrote:

hi list,
i am running an arch server (x84_64) inside a virtual private server.

This might be related to your question. But I am wondering which VPS
provider provides a 64-bit kernel.

I know Linode does. I don't know about others.

--
David Benfell
benfell@parts-unknown.org