-   -   systemd transition on virtual server - help needed (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/710934-systemd-transition-virtual-server-help-needed.html)

"G. Schlisio" 10-09-2012 03:43 PM

systemd transition on virtual server - help needed

hi list,
i am running an arch server (x84_64) inside a virtual private server.
now that systemd smoothly comes to be standart, i would like to
understand, how this affects my machine.
as this is a vps, i have no control over the running kernel, which is a
2.6.36.4-vs2.3.0.36.39-netcup atm. (netcup is a german webhosting provider).

also i do not know much about the virtualisation machinery running there.
as this is a server used for productivity, i would like to understand
whats happening to it, to keep maintenance downtime at a reasonable low
level.
at what point will i (propably) get in trouble because of systemd, when
(if ever) will i be unable to boot with this machine if i keep updating?

thanks for helping suggestions.
georg

Řyvind Heggstad 10-10-2012 11:39 AM

systemd transition on virtual server - help needed

On Tue, 09 Oct 2012 17:43:17 +0200
"G. Schlisio" <g.schlisio@gmx.de> wrote:

> hi list,
> i am running an arch server (x84_64) inside a virtual private server.
> now that systemd smoothly comes to be standart, i would like to
> understand, how this affects my machine.
> as this is a vps, i have no control over the running kernel, which is
> a 2.6.36.4-vs2.3.0.36.39-netcup atm. (netcup is a german webhosting
> provider). also i do not know much about the virtualisation machinery
> running there. as this is a server used for productivity, i would
> like to understand whats happening to it, to keep maintenance
> downtime at a reasonable low level.
> at what point will i (propably) get in trouble because of systemd,
> when (if ever) will i be unable to boot with this machine if i keep
> updating? thanks for helping suggestions.
> georg

There is some info about the future of initscripts and sysvinit in this
thread:

http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2012-September/023668.html