Old 10-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Arno Gaboury

Default failure to install w7 on VM

Dear list,

I am trying with no sucess to install w7 on a VM on my Archlinux box.
I use virt-install,virtio,qemu, and i already managed to set up VM.

This time, after #virt-install --connect qemu///system --name=merdoz
--ram 4000 --cpu host --disk
path=/dev/vg0/lv_merdoz,bus=virtio,sparse=false,format=raw --cdrom
/var/lib/libvirt/images/isofiles/WindowsTiny.iso --description="merdoz
-vm guest on host magnolia" --graphics vnc --os-type=windows
--os-variant=win7 --video=vga --hvm --accelerate --nonetwork.

The libvirtviewer opens, and windows starts to install. The issue is it can not find the
disk (/dev/vg0/lv_merdoz) because drivers are not installed.

I read I needed virtio-win-0.1-30.iso.
I downloaded it, exctract the WIN7 folder with the drivers.
Then I exctract my win7.iso, put the WIN7 folder inside, then
$mkisofs -o win7.iso -J -r win7
and get a new iso file.

Unfortunately, when using it with virt-install, the file is not
recognized and windows can not boot: could not read (code 004).

1- Do I really need virtio.iso to get the drivers? If not, why w7
doesn't recognize my LV ?
2- how to add these drivers to my setup?

Thank you for help.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Jelle van der Waa

On 08/10/12 20:47, Arno Gaboury wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I am trying with no sucess to install w7 on a VM on my Archlinux box.
> I use virt-install,virtio,qemu, and i already managed to set up VM.
>
> This time, after #virt-install --connect qemu///system --name=merdoz
> --ram 4000 --cpu host --disk
> path=/dev/vg0/lv_merdoz,bus=virtio,sparse=false,format=raw --cdrom
> /var/lib/libvirt/images/isofiles/WindowsTiny.iso --description="merdoz
> -vm guest on host magnolia" --graphics vnc --os-type=windows
> --os-variant=win7 --video=vga --hvm --accelerate --nonetwork.
>

> The libvirtviewer opens, and windows starts to install. The issue is it can not find the
> disk (/dev/vg0/lv_merdoz) because drivers are not installed.
>
> I read I needed virtio-win-0.1-30.iso.
> I downloaded it, exctract the WIN7 folder with the drivers.
> Then I exctract my win7.iso, put the WIN7 folder inside, then
> $mkisofs -o win7.iso -J -r win7
> and get a new iso file.
>
> Unfortunately, when using it with virt-install, the file is not
> recognized and windows can not boot: could not read (code 004).
>
> 1- Do I really need virtio.iso to get the drivers? If not, why w7
> doesn't recognize my LV ?
> 2- how to add these drivers to my setup?
>
> Thank you for help.

IIRC, I added the virtio iso as second disk ( or floppy image ) and then
installed windows. ( Windows can 'install' drivers in the partitioning
step )

Old 10-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Arno Gaboury

On 08/10/12||22:04, Jelle van der Waa wrote:
> On 08/10/12 20:47, Arno Gaboury wrote:
> > Dear list,
> >
> > I am trying with no sucess to install w7 on a VM on my Archlinux box.
> > I use virt-install,virtio,qemu, and i already managed to set up VM.
> >
> > This time, after #virt-install --connect qemu///system --name=merdoz
> > --ram 4000 --cpu host --disk
> > path=/dev/vg0/lv_merdoz,bus=virtio,sparse=false,format=raw --cdrom
> > /var/lib/libvirt/images/isofiles/WindowsTiny.iso --description="merdoz
> > -vm guest on host magnolia" --graphics vnc --os-type=windows
> > --os-variant=win7 --video=vga --hvm --accelerate --nonetwork.
> >

> > The libvirtviewer opens, and windows starts to install. The issue is it can not find the
> > disk (/dev/vg0/lv_merdoz) because drivers are not installed.
> >
> > I read I needed virtio-win-0.1-30.iso.
> > I downloaded it, exctract the WIN7 folder with the drivers.
> > Then I exctract my win7.iso, put the WIN7 folder inside, then
> > $mkisofs -o win7.iso -J -r win7
> > and get a new iso file.
> >
> > Unfortunately, when using it with virt-install, the file is not
> > recognized and windows can not boot: could not read (code 004).
> >
> > 1- Do I really need virtio.iso to get the drivers? If not, why w7
> > doesn't recognize my LV ?
> > 2- how to add these drivers to my setup?
> >
> > Thank you for help.
> >
> IIRC, I added the virtio iso as second disk ( or floppy image ) and then
> installed windows. ( Windows can 'install' drivers in the partitioning
> step )

I thought I could use :
$virsh # attach-disk merdoz ~/virtio-win-0.1-30.iso hdc --type cdrom

But it doesn't work either, as virsh # list
returns NO domain.
Weird, as the following command seems Ok:

[gabx@magnolia:~]$ virsh --connect qemu:///system start merdoz
Domain merdoz started

So I can't understand why domain merdoz is started and NOT listed with
virsh

Old 10-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Arno Gaboury

On 08/10/12||23:40, Till Smejkal wrote:
> On 10/08/2012 10:54 PM, Arno Gaboury wrote:
> >I thought I could use :
> >$virsh # attach-disk merdoz ~/virtio-win-0.1-30.iso hdc --type cdrom
> >
> >But it doesn't work either, as virsh # list
> >returns NO domain.
> >Weird, as the following command seems Ok:
> >
> >[gabx@magnolia:~]$ virsh --connect qemu:///system start merdoz
> >Domain merdoz started
> >
> >So I can't understand why domain merdoz is started and NOT listed with
> >virsh
>
> Hey,
>
> well this is a problem of wrong usage. When looking in the man page
> of virsh you'll recognize that list will list all *running* domains,
> but merdoz is probably not running.
>
> Just use list --all to see all domains.
>
> Cheers!

You are perfectly right, merdoz is not running.
I finally managed after one day to install win7. The needed vitrio
driver was indeed virtio-win-1.1.16.vfd, and adding this line to
virt-install did the trick:
--disk path=~/isofiles/virtio-win-1.1.16.vfd,device=floppy

And now a beautiful merdoz7 is finishing installing!
All this for a win7 VM...pppfffff