Old 09-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Manolo Martínez

Default ABS and pacman

Hello,

I've just had a minor hiccup, because one of the packages updated in my
pacman -Syu this morning substituted a version I had tweaked the ABS
way.

Nothing serious, as I say, and wholly my fault, but yet I was
wondering: Would it be possible/make sense to have pacman inform us whenever it is going to
substitute a package that has been ABS'd?

Manolo

Old 09-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Karol Blazewicz

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Manolo Martínez
<manolo@austrohungaro.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just had a minor hiccup, because one of the packages updated in my
> pacman -Syu this morning substituted a version I had tweaked the ABS
> way.
>
> Nothing serious, as I say, and wholly my fault, but yet I was
> wondering: Would it be possible/make sense to have pacman inform us whenever it is going to
> substitute a package that has been ABS'd?
>
> Manolo

Why not put your tweaked packages in 'IgnorePkg' in pacman.conf?

Old 09-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Manolo Martínez

On 09/25/12 at 08:16pm, Karol Blazewicz wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Manolo Martínez
> <manolo@austrohungaro.com> wrote:
> > Would it be possible/make sense to have pacman inform us whenever it is going to
> > substitute a package that has been ABS'd?
>
> Why not put your tweaked packages in 'IgnorePkg' in pacman.conf?

Many times these tweaks are temporary and, indeed, newer versions make
them unnecessary. It can definitely be done as you suggest, but I think
it'd be in the spirit of the help provided by, e.g., .pacsave and .pacnew files, to have pacman issue a warning.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:48 PM
Zeke Sulastin

> Many times these tweaks are temporary and, indeed, newer versions make
> them unnecessary. It can definitely be done as you suggest, but I think
> it'd be in the spirit of the help provided by, e.g., .pacsave and .pacnew files, to have pacman issue a warning.
> --

Pacman doesn't really have a way of looking at an installed package
and knowing that it's been modified from the default repo package (as
far as I know ...). Absent a new patch to add such functionality,
Karol's suggestion of IgnorePkg is the best idea and also provides the
warning you seek when performing a full update, in the form of

warning: package_foo: ignoring package upgrade (1.0.0-1 => 1.1.0-1)

This warning lets you know that something you're ignoring has been
updated, and you should take steps based on the reason you ignored it;
IgnorePkg does not interfere with a 'pacman -U' operation, and if
specifically told to install an ignored package from repos via 'pacman
-S package_foo' will ask for confirmation.

--ZekeS

Old 09-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Karol Blazewicz

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 8:34 PM, Manolo Martínez
<manolo@austrohungaro.com> wrote:
> On 09/25/12 at 08:16pm, Karol Blazewicz wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Manolo Martínez
>> <manolo@austrohungaro.com> wrote:
>> > Would it be possible/make sense to have pacman inform us whenever it is going to
>> > substitute a package that has been ABS'd?
>>
>> Why not put your tweaked packages in 'IgnorePkg' in pacman.conf?
>
> Many times these tweaks are temporary and, indeed, newer versions make
> them unnecessary. It can definitely be done as you suggest, but I think
> it'd be in the spirit of the help provided by, e.g., .pacsave and .pacnew files, to have pacman issue a warning.
> --

AFAICT, ABS is not something Arch devs care all that much about and
'IgnorePkg' serves as an universal warning generator ;P

You can create a script that checks the package updates and notifies
you if any of the packages you compiled yourself is going to be
updated.
It's enough to set yourself as the packager in /etc/makepkg.conf (mine
is 'karol') and see if any of packages output by
comm -23 <(expac "%n %p" -Q | awk '$2 == "karol" { print $1}')
<(pacman -Qqm|sort)
is mentioned in the output of 'pacman -Qqu'

As 'pacman -Qqu' doesn't care about AUR packages, we can abbreviate
comm -23 <(expac "%n %p" -Q | awk '$2 == "karol" { print $1}')
<(pacman -Qqm|sort)
expac "%n %p" -Q | awk '$2 == "karol" { print $1}'
The first command prints just packages from the repos, the second one
(the shorter one) prints also packages from the AUR, but it doesn't
matter here.

If you want to automate it in a safe way, try something like
http://www.andreascarpino.it/blog/posts/hey-youve-n-outofdated-packages-part-ii/
Update your fake pacman db:
-------------------
#!/bin/bash

fakedb=/dev/shm/fakepacdb
realdb=/var/lib/pacman

[[ ! -d $fakedb ]] && { mkdir -p "$fakedb/sync" || exit 1; }
[[ ! -L $fakedb/local ]] && { ln -s "$realdb/local" "$fakedb" || exit 2; }

exec fakeroot pacman --dbpath "$fakedb" -Sy
-------------------

Packages you've built via ABS that are about to be updated:
-------------------
#!/bin/bash

fakedb=/dev/shm/fakepacdb

mypkgs=$(comm -12 <(pacman --dbpath "$fakedb" -Qqu) <(expac "%n %p" -
Q | awk '$2 == "karol" { print $1}'))

echo "Warning: $mypkgs need to be rebuilt."
-------------------

$mypkgs can be empty of course.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:08 PM
Daniel Wallace

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 02:34:37PM -0400, Manolo Martínez wrote:
> On 09/25/12 at 08:16pm, Karol Blazewicz wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Manolo Martínez
> > <manolo@austrohungaro.com> wrote:
> > > Would it be possible/make sense to have pacman inform us whenever it is going to
> > > substitute a package that has been ABS'd?
> >
> > Why not put your tweaked packages in 'IgnorePkg' in pacman.conf?
>
> Many times these tweaks are temporary and, indeed, newer versions make
> them unnecessary. It can definitely be done as you suggest, but I think
> it'd be in the spirit of the help provided by, e.g., .pacsave and .pacnew files, to have pacman issue a warning.
> --

Patches to pacman are always welcome

--
Daniel Wallace
Archlinux Trusted User (gtmanfred)

Old 09-26-2012, 03:40 AM
gt

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 02:09:59PM -0400, Manolo Martínez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just had a minor hiccup, because one of the packages updated in my
> pacman -Syu this morning substituted a version I had tweaked the ABS
> way.
>
> Nothing serious, as I say, and wholly my fault, but yet I was
> wondering: Would it be possible/make sense to have pacman inform us whenever it is going to
> substitute a package that has been ABS'd?

I put my local packages under a group "custom_packages" and add
IgnoreGroup = custom_packages in pacman.conf

Whenever there's an update available, pacman notifies me as others have
mentioned.

Then I go to the arch git repo for the package, see the changes and
decide if i need to add those changes to my package.

For example yesterday mutt was updated due to a bug, but since that bug
doesn't affect me, i didn't upgrade my custom mutt package.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:51 AM
Oon-Ee Ng

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 3:48 AM, Zeke Sulastin <zekesulastin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Many times these tweaks are temporary and, indeed, newer versions make
>> them unnecessary. It can definitely be done as you suggest, but I think
>> it'd be in the spirit of the help provided by, e.g., .pacsave and .pacnew files, to have pacman issue a warning.
>> --
>
> Pacman doesn't really have a way of looking at an installed package
> and knowing that it's been modified from the default repo package (as
> far as I know ...). Absent a new patch to add such functionality,
> Karol's suggestion of IgnorePkg is the best idea and also provides the
> warning you seek when performing a full update, in the form of

Well, anything that's been locally built should have you set as the
package maintainer, so the first sentence is not really true. Not that
this fact by itself is particularly useful, lacking the necessary
changes to pacman.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Manolo Martínez

Thanks everyone for the illuminating responses. IgnorePackage and
IgnoreGroup seem to be what I need, after all.

Cheers,
Manolo