Old 09-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Arno Gaboury

Default Systemd and startx

On 23/09/12||18:16, Mauro Santos wrote:
> So far I am only testing how systemd behaves in my system and what
> changes I need to do before I permanently make the switch.
>
> So far the first problem, which doesn't seem to be covered in the wiki,
> forum or google searches, is that if I switch to a tty after starting X
> I get just a blank screen. I also get a blank screen and no prompt after
> I logout from the DE.
>
> The conditions that seem to trigger the problem are:
> I don't use any login managers so I use startx to start my DE of choice
> (xfce).
> I have increased the number of available ttys as described here [1] and
> after booting everything seems to be working fine, since I have the
> expected number of ttys and I can login at each one of them.
> Getting local permissions was also taken care of by following [2], for
> testing purposes I use 'startx -- vt1 &> xlog.log' and I've confirmed
> that it works as expected.
>
> The problem:
> After starting X, if I switch to any of the ttys with ctrl-alt-f* I get
> only a blank screen, this includes the ttys that have not been used to
> start X.
> After logging out of the DE I get a blank screen at all ttys, including
> the one used to start X. The machine is otherwise still responsive.
>
> Any clues, tips or pointers on how to get this to work are welcome.
>
> [1]
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd#Q:_How_do_I_change_the_number_of_gettys_ru nning_by_default.3F
> [2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Start_X_at_Login
>
> --
> Mauro Santos
I $startx then XFCE, and works fine with systemd. Please have a look
here:

http://blog.falconindy.com/articles/back-to-basics-with-x-and-systemd.html

Old 09-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Mauro Santos

On 23-09-2012 18:38, Arno Gaboury wrote:
> On 23/09/12||18:16, Mauro Santos wrote:
>> So far I am only testing how systemd behaves in my system and what
>> changes I need to do before I permanently make the switch.
>>
>> So far the first problem, which doesn't seem to be covered in the wiki,
>> forum or google searches, is that if I switch to a tty after starting X
>> I get just a blank screen. I also get a blank screen and no prompt after
>> I logout from the DE.
>>
>> The conditions that seem to trigger the problem are:
>> I don't use any login managers so I use startx to start my DE of choice
>> (xfce).
>> I have increased the number of available ttys as described here [1] and
>> after booting everything seems to be working fine, since I have the
>> expected number of ttys and I can login at each one of them.
>> Getting local permissions was also taken care of by following [2], for
>> testing purposes I use 'startx -- vt1 &> xlog.log' and I've confirmed
>> that it works as expected.
>>
>> The problem:
>> After starting X, if I switch to any of the ttys with ctrl-alt-f* I get
>> only a blank screen, this includes the ttys that have not been used to
>> start X.
>> After logging out of the DE I get a blank screen at all ttys, including
>> the one used to start X. The machine is otherwise still responsive.
>>
>> Any clues, tips or pointers on how to get this to work are welcome.
>>
>> [1]
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd#Q:_How_do_I_change_the_number_of_gettys_ru nning_by_default.3F
>> [2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Start_X_at_Login
>>
>> --
>> Mauro Santos
> I $startx then XFCE, and works fine with systemd. Please have a look
> here:
>
> http://blog.falconindy.com/articles/back-to-basics-with-x-and-systemd.html

Thanks. I have seen that too and things seem to be working now.

It works fine on my physical machine but for some reason it doesn't with
qemu-kvm, which was where I was testing it first, in a setup similar to
what I have on my physical machine (lvm on luks).

I didn't want something exploding on my face so I was using a test
subject first.

Sorry for the noise, now I go back to playing with systemd a little more
and try not to break anything ... too much.

--
Mauro Santos

Old 09-23-2012, 06:38 PM
Arno Gaboury

On 23/09/12||18:50, Mauro Santos wrote:
> On 23-09-2012 18:38, Arno Gaboury wrote:
> > On 23/09/12||18:16, Mauro Santos wrote:
> >> So far I am only testing how systemd behaves in my system and what
> >> changes I need to do before I permanently make the switch.
> >>
> >> So far the first problem, which doesn't seem to be covered in the wiki,
> >> forum or google searches, is that if I switch to a tty after starting X
> >> I get just a blank screen. I also get a blank screen and no prompt after
> >> I logout from the DE.
> >>
> >> The conditions that seem to trigger the problem are:
> >> I don't use any login managers so I use startx to start my DE of choice
> >> (xfce).
> >> I have increased the number of available ttys as described here [1] and
> >> after booting everything seems to be working fine, since I have the
> >> expected number of ttys and I can login at each one of them.
> >> Getting local permissions was also taken care of by following [2], for
> >> testing purposes I use 'startx -- vt1 &> xlog.log' and I've confirmed
> >> that it works as expected.
> >>
> >> The problem:
> >> After starting X, if I switch to any of the ttys with ctrl-alt-f* I get
> >> only a blank screen, this includes the ttys that have not been used to
> >> start X.
> >> After logging out of the DE I get a blank screen at all ttys, including
> >> the one used to start X. The machine is otherwise still responsive.
> >>
> >> Any clues, tips or pointers on how to get this to work are welcome.
> >>
> >> [1]
> >> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd#Q:_How_do_I_change_the_number_of_gettys_ru nning_by_default.3F
> >> [2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Start_X_at_Login
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mauro Santos
> > I $startx then XFCE, and works fine with systemd. Please have a look
> > here:
> >
> > http://blog.falconindy.com/articles/back-to-basics-with-x-and-systemd.html
> >

> Thanks. I have seen that too and things seem to be working now.
>
> It works fine on my physical machine but for some reason it doesn't with
> qemu-kvm, which was where I was testing it first, in a setup similar to
> what I have on my physical machine (lvm on luks).
>
> I didn't want something exploding on my face so I was using a test
> subject first.
>
> Sorry for the noise, now I go back to playing with systemd a little more
> and try not to break anything ... too much.
>
> --
> Mauro Santos
I went straight to systemd, and nothing exploded on my face! Do not be
scared, far from being so complex at it seems to.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Mauro Santos

On 23-09-2012 19:38, Arno Gaboury wrote:
> I went straight to systemd, and nothing exploded on my face! Do not be
> scared, far from being so complex at it seems to.

I wasn't expecting anything to explode, it's just my policy to do things
in small incremental steps and use test subjects first if possible, this
way I have some hands on experience for when I do the changes on the
physical machine, which has important data and needs to keep working.

Since using systemd is new to me I'm just following the policy that has
served me well so far

--
Mauro Santos