Old 09-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Bjoern Franke

Default testing/systemd 191-1 failed to boot

Am Samstag, den 22.09.2012, 15:41 +0100 schrieb P .NIKOLIC:

> Please explain just who has trolled .. i saw an opinion about systemd
> thats about all ..
>
> Pete

Don't troll with such a question

--
xmpp: bjo@schafweide.org
bjo.nord-west.org | nord-west.org | freifunk-ol.de

Old 09-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Kevin Chadwick

> > On 22 September 2012 16:20, Heiko Baums <lists@baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> > > And, btw., instead of threatening and banning people with different
> > > opinions you rather should take their criticisms serious and take
> > > them as an incentive to improve Arch Linux and to make it better
> > > instead of worse.
> > >
> > > Heiko
> >
> > They're not going to ban anyone for having a different opinion, but
> > for trolling.
>
> Please explain just who has trolled .. i saw an opinion about systemd
> thats about all ..

My thoughts exactly, but I summised that the tone of the comment was
deemed to invite Trolls.

I wondered whether, if the comment had been

+1 for pid 1 being simple cross platform and redundant

Would it have been trolling too and got me banned. Though I care
about that less and less every day of late.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)

Old 09-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Loui Chang

On Sat 22 Sep 2012 15:06 +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 22.09.2012 10:07, schrieb Heiko Baums:
> > Am Sat, 22 Sep 2012 15:09:02 +0900
> > schrieb Zhengyu Xu <xzy3186@gmail.com>:
> >
> >> After updating systemd to 191-1 in testing repo, I had following
> >> messages during booting and the process was stuck (crashed).
> >>
> >> [ 10.539416] systemd[1]: segfault at 7d ip b75a97b7 sp bfb0ece8
> >> error 4 in libc-2.16.so[b752a000+1a4000]
> >> [ 10.539700] systemd[1]: Caught <SEGV>, core dump failed.
> >>
> >> Downgrade to 189-4 can solve this problem. I want to know if this
> >> is a personal problem or a general bug affecting others as well.
> >
> > Why am I not surprised?
> >
> > Yes, binary init system is so much better than a script based init
> > system. And Poetterix is so damn good, so advanced, such an evolution
> > and so much better than the common and over 40 years well tested
> > sysvinit.
> >
> > Come on systemd fanboys, here you have the first example. There's more
> > to come. I'll get my popcorn.
>
> After the recent outbreaks, we have been discussing banning people from
> arch-general. At the time, the people we talked about had calmed down
> and everything went back to normal, so there was no point in going
> forward with it. However, your name just made top of the list.
>
> If I see you interrupting one more technical discussion with trolls and
> flames, you will be banned indefinitely without further notice. I will
> not see another one week flamewar on this list.
>
> You are a grown man (at least you look like one), so you should know
> that this kind of post adds nothing to the discussion, but starts yet
> another flamewar. Start acting like a grown man and keep it to yourself,
> unless you have something to say that's worth saying.
>
> I am completely against banning people, but at this point, it is either
> banning people or shutting down this list entirely.

I would petition that he be fully banned from all arch lists, forum,
irc, etc.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:32 AM
"P .NIKOLIC"

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 12:42:17 -0400
Loui Chang <louipc.ist@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat 22 Sep 2012 15:06 +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> > Am 22.09.2012 10:07, schrieb Heiko Baums:

> > > Why am I not surprised?
> > >
> > > Yes, binary init system is so much better than a script based init
> > > system. And Poetterix is so damn good, so advanced, such an
> > > evolution and so much better than the common and over 40 years
> > > well tested sysvinit.
> > >
> > > Come on systemd fanboys, here you have the first example. There's
> > > more to come. I'll get my popcorn.
> >
> > After the recent outbreaks, we have been discussing banning people
> > from arch-general. At the time, the people we talked about had
> > calmed down and everything went back to normal, so there was no
> > point in going forward with it. However, your name just made top of
> > the list.
> >
> > If I see you interrupting one more technical discussion with trolls
> > and flames, you will be banned indefinitely without further notice.
> > I will not see another one week flamewar on this list.
> >
> > You are a grown man (at least you look like one), so you should know
> > that this kind of post adds nothing to the discussion, but starts
> > yet another flamewar. Start acting like a grown man and keep it to
> > yourself, unless you have something to say that's worth saying.
> >
> > I am completely against banning people, but at this point, it is
> > either banning people or shutting down this list entirely.
>
> I would petition that he be fully banned from all arch lists, forum,
> irc, etc.

dev/nulled.

--
Linux 7-of-9 3.5.4-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Sep 15 08:12:04 CEST 2012
x86_64 GNU/Linux

Old 09-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Tom Rand

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 11:18:52AM +0200, Heiko Baums wrote:
> Am Sat, 22 Sep 2012 11:11:12 +0200
> schrieb fredbezies <fredbezies@gmail.com>:
>
> > I was fed up by the crap of the original poster. So I said what need
> > to be written, even if it was a little hard.
> >
> > I will remove myself from this list, because it is no more than crap
> > because of systemd haters.
>
> Oh, other people's opinions and experiences are crap?
>
> And yes, the systemd haters have good reasons to hate it, because
> systemd is crap exactly like PulseAudio. And, yes, most of the systemd
> haters have tested both themselves.
>
> Heiko

way to go with kicking up a freeking troll fest!

Is this gonna happen everytime systemd gets a bug?
come on get off the systemd troll bandwagon & just ignore it, seeing as you
don't use it!

Old 09-23-2012, 08:32 AM
Martín Cigorraga

> way to go with kicking up a freeking troll fest!

LOL!

Old 09-23-2012, 08:39 AM
Tom Gundersen

Hi Heiko,

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 8:07 AM, Heiko Baums <lists@baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> Why am I not surprised?

Why should you be? I'm not. I don't think anyone finds it surprising
that software has bugs, or that actively developed software has the
occasional regression. It will happen from time to time, even with
systemd. It will happen more with systemd than with sysvinit. The
reason is that sysvinit is no longer being developed, and no changes
means no regressions. No surprises here.

> Yes, binary init system is so much better than a script based init
> system.

The correct comparison would be with sysvinit and not with initscript
(as the bug is in PID1 and not in any of the helpers/serivce files).

> And Poetterix is so damn good, so advanced, such an evolution
> and so much better than the common and over 40 years well tested
> sysvinit.
>
> Come on systemd fanboys, here you have the first example. There's more
> to come. I'll get my popcorn.

I hope you realise that when you speak of "Poetterix" and "fanboys"
you are being a troll (there is no "opinion" in here, just inflamatory
rhetoric). You are trying to make people angry rather than contribute
to the discussion.

As a whole, your message did not add anything useful, as you merely
said "I told you so". We all are able to see that there was a bug, we
all are able to see that this is very unfortunate. However, no one
expected bugs never to happen in testing. It happens in all software,
from the kernel up. We obviously strive to make it a rare occurrence,
but especially architecture-specific bugs might be hard to catch.

I'd respectfully request you to stay on-topic and constructive in your
future contributions to this mailinglist.

Cheers,

Tom

Old 09-23-2012, 08:51 AM
gt

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 10:19:42AM +0200, Tom Rand wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 11:18:52AM +0200, Heiko Baums wrote:
> > Am Sat, 22 Sep 2012 11:11:12 +0200
> > schrieb fredbezies <fredbezies@gmail.com>:
> >
> > > I was fed up by the crap of the original poster. So I said what need
> > > to be written, even if it was a little hard.
> > >
> > > I will remove myself from this list, because it is no more than crap
> > > because of systemd haters.
> >
> > Oh, other people's opinions and experiences are crap?
> >
> > And yes, the systemd haters have good reasons to hate it, because
> > systemd is crap exactly like PulseAudio. And, yes, most of the systemd
> > haters have tested both themselves.
> >
> > Heiko
>
> way to go with kicking up a freeking troll fest!
>
> Is this gonna happen everytime systemd gets a bug?
> come on get off the systemd troll bandwagon & just ignore it, seeing as you
> don't use it!

And you need to "express" your opinion no matter what... The thread was
silent since yesterday but people like you need to keep pouring more oil
to the fire!

If you consider him a troll, then add him to your ignore list. But at
least do not reactivate dormant topics, just because you need to speak.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:28 AM
Tom Rand

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 02:21:28PM +0530, gt wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 10:19:42AM +0200, Tom Rand wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 11:18:52AM +0200, Heiko Baums wrote:

> > > Oh, other people's opinions and experiences are crap?
> > >
> > > And yes, the systemd haters have good reasons to hate it, because
> > > systemd is crap exactly like PulseAudio. And, yes, most of the systemd
> > > haters have tested both themselves.
> > >
> > > Heiko
> >
> > way to go with kicking up a freeking troll fest!
> >
> > Is this gonna happen everytime systemd gets a bug?
> > come on get off the systemd troll bandwagon & just ignore it, seeing as you
> > don't use it!
>
> And you need to "express" your opinion no matter what... The thread was
> silent since yesterday but people like you need to keep pouring more oil
> to the fire!
>
> If you consider him a troll, then add him to your ignore list. But at
> least do not reactivate dormant topics, just because you need to speak.

I am sorry but I am not the only one who has responded today & in my defence
my connection was slighty shite yesterday due to other people using it
which affected the available bandwidth so alas i only got to read the message
today.

again sorry but all the systemd/sysvinit wohar has gone beyond pathetic &
as soon as anyone mentions it the trolls come out ergo my statement.

also yes i like to express myself, I fail to see an issue there as obviously
you did too

sorry for reacting!

Old 09-23-2012, 04:00 PM
mike cloaked

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
> Hi Heiko,
>
> On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 8:07 AM, Heiko Baums <lists@baums-on-web.de> wrote:
>> Why am I not surprised?
>
> Why should you be? I'm not. I don't think anyone finds it surprising
> that software has bugs, or that actively developed software has the
> occasional regression. It will happen from time to time, even with
> systemd. It will happen more with systemd than with sysvinit. The
> reason is that sysvinit is no longer being developed, and no changes
> means no regressions. No surprises here.
>
>> Yes, binary init system is so much better than a script based init
>> system.
>
> The correct comparison would be with sysvinit and not with initscript
> (as the bug is in PID1 and not in any of the helpers/serivce files).
>
>> And Poetterix is so damn good, so advanced, such an evolution
>> and so much better than the common and over 40 years well tested
>> sysvinit.
>>
>> Come on systemd fanboys, here you have the first example. There's more
>> to come. I'll get my popcorn.
>
> I hope you realise that when you speak of "Poetterix" and "fanboys"
> you are being a troll (there is no "opinion" in here, just inflamatory
> rhetoric). You are trying to make people angry rather than contribute
> to the discussion.
>
> As a whole, your message did not add anything useful, as you merely
> said "I told you so". We all are able to see that there was a bug, we
> all are able to see that this is very unfortunate. However, no one
> expected bugs never to happen in testing. It happens in all software,
> from the kernel up. We obviously strive to make it a rare occurrence,
> but especially architecture-specific bugs might be hard to catch.
>
> I'd respectfully request you to stay on-topic and constructive in your
> future contributions to this mailinglist.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

Well said....

--