Old 09-22-2012, 03:35 AM
Jude DaShiell

Default finally got a talking archlinux installed!

Creation of a separate /boot partition helped. I did it with syslinux,
and have partition structure of /dev/sda1 /boot 50MB /dev/sda2 swap 1024MB
/dev/sda3 /mnt 15440MB and /dev/sda4 /home remainder of the disk. Since
in this configuration, /dev/sda3 correctly points to /root I left it alone
but edited syslinux.cfg to point at linux-lts and also changed ro to rw at
the end of those append lines. I did that after booting the machine and
waiting an hour then hitting enter to get anything going. I heard
archlinux start talking but also heard message failed to create secure
directory again. So the rw on those append lines has if only temporarily
enabled this system and disk writes to work. I don't have authority to
edit the beginner's guide, and do have to question if anyone really did
follow those instructions to the letter and come out of it with a working
system.

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
Adobe fiend for failing to Flash

Old 09-22-2012, 04:25 AM
Martín Cigorraga

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 12:35 AM, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net>wrote:

> Creation of a separate /boot partition helped. I did it with syslinux,
> and have partition structure of /dev/sda1 /boot 50MB /dev/sda2 swap 1024MB
> /dev/sda3 /mnt 15440MB and /dev/sda4 /home remainder of the disk. Since
> in this configuration, /dev/sda3 correctly points to /root I left it alone
> but edited syslinux.cfg to point at linux-lts and also changed ro to rw at
> the end of those append lines. I did that after booting the machine and
> waiting an hour then hitting enter to get anything going. I heard
> archlinux start talking but also heard message failed to create secure
> directory again. So the rw on those append lines has if only temporarily
> enabled this system and disk writes to work. I don't have authority to
> edit the beginner's guide, and do have to question if anyone really did
> follow those instructions to the letter and come out of it with a working
> system.

> jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
> Adobe fiend for failing to Flash

Hey congratz, it's a sweet moment when one have finally the ball rolling =)
Regarding the wiki... well, it's just a wiki, providing you put enough care
with the final result I don't think there's any issue at all - on the
contrary, the only way to strengthen a community is when it's members are
involved.