-   -   Cannot see tty after starting X (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/706060-cannot-see-tty-after-starting-x.html)

Aurko Roy 09-21-2012 10:34 AM

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Aurko Roy <roy.aurko@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am unable to see the ttys immediately after starting X. Neither the
> original tty from which X was started nor the other unused ones seem to be
> visible. I have an Nvidia graphics card and I have tried using both the
> nouveau as well as the proprietary nvidia driver - but neither seem to
> work. I had faced this problem earlier with nouveau but the nvidia driver
> used to work perfectly fine.
>
> Has anybody else faced this issue?
>
> --
> Aurko Roy
> GPG key: 0x20C5BC31
> Fingerprint:76B4 9677 15BE 731D 1949 85BA 2A31 B442 20C5 BC31

I downgraded to xf86-video-nouveau 1.0.1-1 and the ttys are working again.
I guess the latest update (1.0.2-1) is buggy.

Ralf Mardorf 09-21-2012 12:34 PM

On Fri, 2012-09-21 at 16:04 +0530, Aurko Roy wrote:
> I downgraded to xf86-video-nouveau 1.0.1-1 and the ttys are working again.
> I guess the latest update (1.0.2-1) is buggy.

I switched from my on-board ATI to an PCIe NVIDI card.
At the moment I struggle with issues regarding to real-time audio and
MIDI. In the past I used nv and nvidia with other distros and older
kernels and I had no issues. Nouveau didn't work in the past.

At the moment real-time using nv, and nouveau doesn't work as needed and
nvidia-rt doesn't work.

I'm undecided what I'll try the next. Perhaps I'll remove the NVIDIA
card and test if the ATI is the better choice at the moment.

I also will compare Arch with other installs on my machine.

At the moment NVIDIA for my Arch Linux is a PITA. First I had issues to
switch back from nouveau to nv. Hopefully switching to ATI and as the
case may be, switching back will be easier.

Regards,
Ralf