-   -   Iinstallation program (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/706038-iinstallation-program.html)

Pierre Schmitz 09-21-2012 08:31 AM

Iinstallation program

Am 21.09.2012 10:12, schrieb Frederic Bezies:
> On 21/09/2012 10:03, Jan Litwiński wrote:
>> When will Arch have more friendly installation program like Ubuntu,
>> Fedora, or opwnSUSE. I installed Arch some years ago and it was very
>> difficult for me.
>>

> If you're looking for a more simpler installation program, check
> manjaro linux - http://www.manjaro.org/ or Chakra Linux -
> http://www.chakra-project.org/

Just keep in mind that you are not going to end up with an Arch
installation here. This is fine, but it seems people forget about this
on a regular basis when they ask for help on forums or our bug tracker.

Back to topic: the Arch installation will never get a lot easier as it
is now.

Martín Cigorraga 09-21-2012 08:39 AM

Iinstallation program

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 5:09 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 21/09/12 18:03, Jan Litwiński wrote:
> > When will Arch have more friendly installation program like Ubuntu,
> > Fedora, or opwnSUSE. I installed Arch some years ago and it was very
> > difficult for me.
> >

> Ha ha ha... best troll ever!

LOL! xD

Arch's installation is trivial, just hold the Installation Guide and the
Beginner's Guide hands -like myself did long time ago- and enjoy the ride!
Installation Guide: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_Guide
Beginner's Guide: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_Guide

If everything else fails you can just try Manjaro Linux or any other of the
Arch Linux-based distros, most of them listed here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Based_Distributions

In the end keep in mind @Lukas advice: Arch isn't really meant to be used
in a "canned" way.

Jan Litwiński 09-21-2012 08:52 AM

Iinstallation program

Dnia piątek, 21 września 2012 10:26:38 Lukas Jirkovsky pisze:
> On 21 September 2012 10:03, Jan Litwiński <jlitwinski@vp.pl> wrote:
> > When will Arch have more friendly installation program like Ubuntu,
> > Fedora, or opwnSUSE. I installed Arch some years ago and it was very
> > difficult for me.
>
> I guess Arch is probably not the right distro for you.

I installed once :)
--
Jan Litwiński
http://netsjanek.blogspot.com/

SanskritFritz 09-21-2012 08:59 AM

Iinstallation program

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Jan Litwiński <jlitwinski@vp.pl> wrote:
> Dnia piątek, 21 września 2012 10:26:38 Lukas Jirkovsky pisze:
>> On 21 September 2012 10:03, Jan Litwiński <jlitwinski@vp.pl> wrote:
>> > When will Arch have more friendly installation program like Ubuntu,
>> > Fedora, or opwnSUSE. I installed Arch some years ago and it was very
>> > difficult for me.
>>
>> I guess Arch is probably not the right distro for you.
>
> I installed once :)

Great, you don't have to care about installations anymore, one is enough :)

Jan Litwiński 09-21-2012 09:17 AM

Iinstallation program

Dnia piątek, 21 września 2012 10:59:25 SanskritFritz pisze:
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Jan Litwiński <jlitwinski@vp.pl>
wrote:
> > Dnia piątek, 21 września 2012 10:26:38 Lukas Jirkovsky pisze:
Ubuntu,

> >> I guess Arch is probably not the right distro for you.
> >
> > I installed once :)
>
> Great, you don't have to care about installations anymore, one is
enough :)

it was not as hard on my desktop computer, but now I have laptop, I
don't know if I can configure system

Ralf Mardorf 09-21-2012 12:00 PM

Iinstallation program

On Fri, 2012-09-21 at 18:09 +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 21/09/12 18:03, Jan Litwiński wrote:
> > When will Arch have more friendly installation program like Ubuntu,
> > Fedora, or opwnSUSE. I installed Arch some years ago and it was very
> > difficult for me.
> >

> Ha ha ha... best troll ever!

Jan, IMO the installers for Ubuntu, Fedora and openSUSE are still not
good. 1. For dummies they are still to complicated and 2. for those with
a little bit or much knowledge, the so called "expert options" still
don't satisfy the need to set up an individual Linux as needed.

I don't know the current Arch installer, I used
"archlinux-2011.08.19-core dual" downloaded at 07 December 2011, IIRC it
was easy to use and fit to my needs. No irrelevant software was
installed. IIRC the only drawback was that no easy to use editor shipped
with the CD. I had to use vi or vim, OTOH I wasn't aware that mcedit is
easy to use, perhaps it was installed too. However, if mcedit shouldn't
be part of the installer, I hope it will be included in the future.

If you wish X and a desktop to be installed by default, I agree that for
dummies such a media should be available too and there is such a media
available. Sorry, I don't know the link, but I'm sure somebody will post
a link.

Regards,
Ralf

Bigby James 09-21-2012 12:25 PM

Iinstallation program

Please, please /please/ don't recommend spin-offs as "Arch Lite" or "Arch
Made Easy" or anything like that. Neither Manjaro nor Chakra are closely
related to Arch, and giving folks the impression that they are just leads
them to ask for help on our forums--where they get the brush-off--and
everyone ends up unhappy. It's enough to mention that Arch doesn't offer
what the OP wants.

Martn Cigorraga 09-27-2012 06:37 PM

Iinstallation program

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Bigby James <anoknusa@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please, please /please/ don't recommend spin-offs as "Arch Lite" or "Arch
> Made Easy" or anything like that. Neither Manjaro nor Chakra are closely
> related to Arch, and giving folks the impression that they are just leads
> them to ask for help on our forums--where they get the brush-off--and
> everyone ends up unhappy. It's enough to mention that Arch doesn't offer
> what the OP wants.

+1

[OT]
@Ralf: from all the canned distros installers I've seen so far Ubuntu's is
the best, far superior to the rest (including Win and MacOS) and certainly
fairly ease to use; however I agree with you that Anaconda sucks (hard) and
that all these graphical installers (including Ubuntu's Ubiquity) are
targeted almost exclusively to non-technical people (openSUSE's installer
may be an exception here) leaving us out.
Looking on the bright side, the vast majority of this installers let you
have a fully functional system in no time, varying from 15 minutes or less
(like Ubuntu) ~35' (like Windoze).
Cheers!

mike cloaked 09-27-2012 07:24 PM

Iinstallation program

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 7:37 PM, Martn Cigorraga <msx@archlinux.us> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Bigby James <anoknusa@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Please, please /please/ don't recommend spin-offs as "Arch Lite" or "Arch
>> Made Easy" or anything like that. Neither Manjaro nor Chakra are closely
>> related to Arch, and giving folks the impression that they are just leads
>> them to ask for help on our forums--where they get the brush-off--and
>> everyone ends up unhappy. It's enough to mention that Arch doesn't offer
>> what the OP wants.
>>

> +1
>
> [OT]
> @Ralf: from all the canned distros installers I've seen so far Ubuntu's is
> the best, far superior to the rest (including Win and MacOS) and certainly
> fairly ease to use; however I agree with you that Anaconda sucks (hard) and
> that all these graphical installers (including Ubuntu's Ubiquity) are
> targeted almost exclusively to non-technical people (openSUSE's installer
> may be an exception here) leaving us out.
> Looking on the bright side, the vast majority of this installers let you
> have a fully functional system in no time, varying from 15 minutes or less
> (like Ubuntu) ~35' (like Windoze).
> Cheers!

There seems to be quite a lot of fuss about the installer - however I
have installed arch on a laptop two days ago that was running a
non-arch distro until then - I have to say that once I had done the
necessary reading so that I was happy I could go through the steps
needed the entire initial install only took me a short time. I did all
the partitioning ahead of time using a usbkey with PartedMagic on it
so that I would not need to do any partitioning during the arch
install. Even with going slowly and typing all the commands manually
once the usbkey with the 9-7 arch iso booted, it took me less than an
hour to install the basic system (base and base devel).

I suppose I cheated with the main set of packages because I took
another machine already running arch and using some scripting plus a
bit of manual editing created a script to install the remaining
packages after rsyncing all the files in /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ to the
newly installed system (to save downloading from the outside wan) -
then ran the script I had created to install everything else. Another
hour and a half later I had the system with the package set I wanted
and then switched over from runlevel 3 to runlevel 5 and had a kde
login working.

This evening I spent about a quarter of an hour to change over to
systemd from initscripts (again I have already researched this and
done it on two other machines) - some additional time is necessary to
configure services (such as postfix, dovecot, chrony, named, iptables,
etc). But this would be the case for any system and is outside the
basic install.

So all in all this seems to me very much in the spirit of "The Arch
Way" and was not too much of a learning curve. Yes for someone
inexperienced in using linux this would take a whole lot longer.

However I believe that it was useful going through the process of
doing an install manually - and there is enough information on the
arch wiki to provide everything I needed to get the system up and
running - which is I believe what many others are likely to be doing
as well?

I guess it is actually not too difficult to set up scripts to do an
install configured to personal taste - but having a more general
script written to cover everyone's individual myriad of possible
install configurations may be quite a big task to both write and
maintain?

--
mike c

Martn Cigorraga 09-27-2012 08:42 PM