Old 09-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Fons Adriaensen

Default Problem with radeon driver

Hello all,

Yesterday I wanted to update my IBM R51. Since this hadn't seen any updates
for half a year or so I decided to go for a full install, also to try out
the new install procedures.

This all went very smoothly, and there's only one remaining problem.

X11 seems to work, but

- GUI elements (e.g. buttons) remain black or some random texture.
- Xterm has problems when scrolling - lines get overprinted, or only
some rows of pixels show up. When hitting Enter on the bottom line
the bash prompt isn't printed, but the cursor moves to the right
place. Same for filename completion etc.
- Similar problems all over the place.

Driver is video-ati aka radeon. No xorg.conf, and using the one
installed before makes no difference. Also added 20-radeon.conf
as explained in the wiki and modified individual options, no
improvement. No errors in Xorg.0.log.

But I found this in errors.log:

Sep 19 13:17:33 zita2 kernel: [ 5.002534] [drm:radeon_agp_init] *ERROR* Unable to acquire AGP: -19

Booting via syslinux, late KMS.

Any hints ?

Ciao,

--
FA

Old 09-19-2012, 04:27 PM
Martín Cigorraga

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 8:34 AM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@linuxaudio.org>wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Yesterday I wanted to update my IBM R51. Since this hadn't seen any updates
> for half a year or so I decided to go for a full install, also to try out
> the new install procedures.
>
> This all went very smoothly, and there's only one remaining problem.
>
> X11 seems to work, but
>
> - GUI elements (e.g. buttons) remain black or some random texture.
> - Xterm has problems when scrolling - lines get overprinted, or only
> some rows of pixels show up. When hitting Enter on the bottom line
> the bash prompt isn't printed, but the cursor moves to the right
> place. Same for filename completion etc.
> - Similar problems all over the place.
>
> Driver is video-ati aka radeon. No xorg.conf, and using the one
> installed before makes no difference. Also added 20-radeon.conf
> as explained in the wiki and modified individual options, no
> improvement. No errors in Xorg.0.log.
>
> But I found this in errors.log:
>
> Sep 19 13:17:33 zita2 kernel: [ 5.002534] [drm:radeon_agp_init] *ERROR*
> Unable to acquire AGP: -19
>
> Booting via syslinux, late KMS.
>
> Any hints ?
>
> Ciao,
>
> --
> FA
>
> A world of exhaustive, reliable metadata would be an utopia.
> It's also a pipe-dream, founded on self-delusion, nerd hubris
> and hysterically inflated market opportunities. (Cory Doctorow)

Which ATi card does your system have?

My laptop have this[0] and here is my /etc/X11/xorg.conf (I haven't
splitted it yet): http://pastebin.com/jc2tfRPT.

[0] 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee
ATI Madison [Radeon HD 5000M Series

Old 09-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Ákos Asztalos

My dmesg message:
[ 1.363595] [drm:radeon_agp_init] *ERROR* Unable to acquire AGP: -19

Stock arch kernel, up to date system, Ati Radeon X800Pro and add
radeon module in mkinitcpio.conf.
But X ok, 3D ok, play movies ok. So everything fine.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Fons Adriaensen

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 01:27:30PM -0300, Martín Cigorraga wrote:

> Which ATi card does your system have?

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Radeon RV250 [Mobility FireGL 9000] (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: IBM Device 0531
Flags: bus master, stepping, fast Back2Back, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 66, IRQ 10
Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
I/O ports at 3000 [size=256]
Memory at c0100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at c0120000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: [58] AGP version 2.0

> My laptop have this[0] and here is my /etc/X11/xorg.conf (I haven't
> splitted it yet): http://pastebin.com/jc2tfRPT.

Thanks.

I solved the error by ensuring that intel_agp gets loaded before
radeon. This is actually mentioned in the wiki but I didn't notice
it at first. But that didn't make any difference for the X11 results.

I got X11 working by disabling KMS (kernel option 'nomodeset').
Still strange, since the original system worked fine with 'late'
KMS enabled. The only difference (apart from all the updates) is
that I replaced grub-legacy by syslinux.

Ciao,

--
FA