Old 09-17-2012, 02:11 PM
Genes MailLists

Default sleep + lid events + kde => new problem

Using fully updated testing repo - starting 'recently' - I notice that
lid close no longer sleeps my laptop.

Kde power is configured to sleep on lid close. If i click the menu and
choose sleep manually - it sleeps fine - and subsequently wakes fine on
lid-open.

I can confirm with this little shell loop (left running and then close
lid and reopen) that acpi shows lid is indeed closed:

while [[ 1 == 1 ]]
> do
> cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/*/state
> sleep 1
> done
state: open
state: open
state: open
state: open
state: closed
state: closed
state: closed
state: closed
state: open
state: open

So, it -seems- as if lid-event is not being passed along for some
reason to the (kde) power management - or not being listened to.

I have not yet switched to systemd - and I'm not sure which process is
responsible for such events.

It still happens with 3.5.4 kernel if that makes any difference.

It is a W520 lenovo laptop.

Anyone else notice similar - or can offer suggestions?

Thanks.

gene/

Old 09-17-2012, 03:13 PM
mike cloaked

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 3:11 PM, Genes MailLists <lists@sapience.com> wrote:

> Using fully updated testing repo - starting 'recently' - I notice that lid
> close no longer sleeps my laptop.
>
> Kde power is configured to sleep on lid close. If i click the menu and
> choose sleep manually - it sleeps fine - and subsequently wakes fine on
> lid-open.
>
> I can confirm with this little shell loop (left running and then close lid
> and reopen) that acpi shows lid is indeed closed:
>
> while [[ 1 == 1 ]]
>> do
>> cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/*/state
>> sleep 1
>> done
> state: open
> state: open
> state: open
> state: open
> state: closed
> state: closed
> state: closed
> state: closed
> state: open
> state: open
>

> So, it -seems- as if lid-event is not being passed along for some reason to
> the (kde) power management - or not being listened to.
>
> I have not yet switched to systemd - and I'm not sure which process is
> responsible for such events.
>
> It still happens with 3.5.4 kernel if that makes any difference.
>
> It is a W520 lenovo laptop.
>
> Anyone else notice similar - or can offer suggestions?
>
> Thanks.

Does running acpi_listen and closing then reopening the lid gives an
indication that the lid open/close is being seen - just to check if
there is any switch failure?

--
mike c