Old 09-15-2012, 01:36 AM
Jude DaShiell

Default mostly successful install of talkingarchlinux

Two situations are a bit puzzling after installation for me.
1) on booting the system it doesn't matter what is in syslinux.cfg, enter
must be hit to turn sound on and finish the login. I've adjusted prompt
from 0 to 1 and it had no effect.
The second puzzle is a bit more troublesome and has to do with espeak
itself.
I cannot hit the gray enter key and have espeak talk anymore through the
sound card without rebooting the system. For speakup, this is only
supposed to be a temporary silence key, not a permanent kill key. Other
than those two puzzles, I finally got archlinux up and installed using
syslinux.
One final piece I'd best add, I put amixer -D hw set Master 92% unmute
into /etc/rc.local and it seems to work pretty well there.

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net> Adobe fiend for failing to Flash

Old 09-15-2012, 02:20 AM
Kyle

Your problem with the keypad enter is actually a problem with all
Speakup keypad functions in the 3.4 and 3.5 kernels. In all these
kernels, pressing any Speakup keypad key causes the kernel to crash and
burn, and the system must be hard rebooted in order to get things back
up and running.

There are two possible solutions to the problem. Either use only laptop
layout keys, e.g. capslock enter, or install Linux-lts and edit
syslinux.cfg to point to the linux-lts kernel, e.g. vmlinuz-linux-lts
and initramfs-linux-lts.img.

I'm somewhat at a loss trying to solve the enter to boot problem, but
it's possibly not related to the bootloader. It may help to find out
just how far your system is actually booting before you press enter to
get a talking system. You should be able to navigate the Speakup cursor
above the login prompt to find out any prompt that was printed to the
screen before you pressed enter to get it talking. Hope this helps.

~Kyle