Old 09-14-2012, 03:50 PM
Jacob Joseph

Default Init script hidden output (careless /dev/null redirection)

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 00:10:54 +0200
Sébastien Luttringer <seblu@seblu.net> wrote:

> > However, the issue is more general, and I'm
> > unsure whether I should continue posting such bugs.
> Systemd will probably remove all this *bad* but convenient hiding.
> I reminds you, this is to have a clean boot when everything goes
> fine.

Sébastien, I think this comment gets directly at any misunderstanding
I may have.

Personally, I don't care how much output happens or whether there is
any at all when things work, since I don't need to read it.
However, I most certainly do want to be able to read information about
what doesn't work. My interest in Arch Linux is the promise of making
the system easy to use, *and* fix, without obscuring or obfuscating the
necessary detail.

I'm happy to file bugs and patches for all of the other init scripts
that strike me. Those for mpd and apache caught me just the other
day.

Do others have any thoughts on this matter?

~Jacob

Old 09-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Kevin Chadwick

> Do others have any thoughts on this matter?

Rather than null, why not just send to an empty tty which a user can
optionally switch to.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)