Old 09-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Jude DaShiell

Default syslinux material in beginner's guide

The line syslinux.cfg leaves as root=/dev/sda3 ro if the example in the
beginner's guide is followed needs to be changed to:
root=/dev/sda1 rw
I am having further problems with the archlinux installation but these are
off topic for this message.

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
Adobe fiend for failing to Flash

Old 09-14-2012, 01:39 PM
DG

The partitioning step walks you through to this point, showing that
the root partition is /dev/sda3 (if you are following the same
scheme). So the syslinux line with root=/dev/sda3 ro is correct. I'm
not sure about the ro vs rw, but mine is ro and works fine.

Name Flags Part Type FS Type [Label] Size (MB)
sda1 Boot Primary Linux 15360
sda2 Primary Linux swap / Solaris 1024
sda3 Primary Linux 133000*

Old 09-14-2012, 02:10 PM
"David J. Haines"

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 07:39:50AM -0600, DG wrote:
> The partitioning step walks you through to this point, showing that
> the root partition is /dev/sda3 (if you are following the same
> scheme). So the syslinux line with root=/dev/sda3 ro is correct. I'm
> not sure about the ro vs rw, but mine is ro and works fine.
>
> Name Flags Part Type FS Type [Label] Size (MB)
> sda1 Boot Primary Linux 15360
> sda2 Primary Linux swap / Solaris 1024
> sda3 Primary Linux 133000*
>

> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 2:00 AM, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
> > The line syslinux.cfg leaves as root=/dev/sda3 ro if the example in the
> > beginner's guide is followed needs to be changed to:
> > root=/dev/sda1 rw
> > I am having further problems with the archlinux installation but these are
> > off topic for this message.

> > jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
> > Adobe fiend for failing to Flash

You always want to mount root read-only until such time as the system
itself remounts read-write. This is by design. IIRC, it's related to the
fact that you can't fsck a disk mounted read-write, thus the "-R" option
for fsck.

--
David J. Haines
djhaines@gmx.com

Old 09-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 14.09.2012 16:10, schrieb David J. Haines:
> You always want to mount root read-only until such time as the system
> itself remounts read-write. This is by design. IIRC, it's related to the
> fact that you can't fsck a disk mounted read-write, thus the "-R" option
> for fsck.

As far as I can see, this is entirely obsolete today.

By default, the root file system is fsck'ed in initramfs before it is
even mounted, and the fsck during boot is then skipped. ("By default"
means that mkinitcpio now has the 'fsck' hook enabled by default -
unless you changed it yourself, this doesn't apply to old installations.)

With this scheme, I see no reason why the 'ro' is necessary.