Old 09-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Sébastien Luttringer

Default Init script hidden output (careless /dev/null redirection)

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 9:58 PM, Jacob Joseph <jacob@jjoseph.org> wrote:
> Some underlying programs produce no output; I'm not proposing that
> Arch address all such cases. Instead, the scenario I continue to run
> into is that the init script redirects all output, good or bad, to
> /dev/null. In my opinion, this is excessively heavy-handed and
> obscures the behavior of the system only to make debugging difficult.
Systemd will offer you a solution. Nothing is printed during boot and
everything is logged.

> I have posted bug reports about some packages (e.g.,
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/29769), some of which have resulted in
> more favorable output.
I fixed your bug report as _you_ wished. How the output can be more favorable?
I only asked you some help to fix the issue behind this hiding and you
just don't care.

> However, the issue is more general, and I'm
> unsure whether I should continue posting such bugs.
Systemd will probably remove all this *bad* but convenient hiding.
I reminds you, this is to have a clean boot when everything goes fine.

> So, can anyone clarify whether there is some existing policy about
> this behavior? I first assumed this was a matter of limited manpower,
> but discussion in that backuppc bug, in particular, leads me to
> suspect that others in the project don't have my convictions.
Everyone doesn't think like you? Weird!
For my part I do not have a definite opinion on the matter.

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer
www.seblu.net

Old 09-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Squall Lionheart

> Do others have any thoughts on this matter?

I like to know whats going on. Output in some form is always welcome,
although errors should stand out and be obvious.

--
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.

Headmaster Squall :: The Wired/Section-9
Close the world txen eht nepo
$3R14L 3XP3R1M3NT$ #L41N
http://twitter.com/headmastersqual