Old 09-13-2012, 04:35 PM
"P .NIKOLIC"

Default / mounted ro after update

Hi folks

Having been in hospital for a while i updated this system a couple of
days ago and am having some strange problems

If i run pacman -Syu i get
7-of-9:/ # pacman -Syu
:: Synchronising package databases...
error: failed to update core (unable to lock database)
error: failed to update extra (unable to lock database)
error: failed to update community (unable to lock database)
error: failed to update multilib (unable to lock database)
error: failed to synchronise any databases
error: failed to init transaction (unable to lock database)
error: could not lock database: Read-only file system

mount gives

7-of-9:/ # mount
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
dev on /dev type devtmpfs
(rw,nosuid,relatime,size=1990844k,nr_inodes=497711 ,mode=755) run
on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755) /dev/sda3 on /
type ext4 (ro,relatime,data=ordered) devpts on /dev/pts type devpts
(rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode =000) shm on /dev/shm
type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime) tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs
(rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime) /dev/sda4 on /home type ext4
(rw,relatime,data=ordered) /dev/sda1 on /boot type ext2 (rw,relatime)
binfmt on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,relatime)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/pete/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon
(rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=10 0)

contents of /etc/fstab

#
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid 0 0
UUID=34fd95b0-a146-47a8-8fa4-78dcedd8c127 /home ext4 defaults 0 1
UUID=49c2a61c-19e8-4f45-b8ef-72507d60ee06 /boot ext2 defaults 0 1
UUID=a1439104-fcea-4c90-b0fb-2340154a9eae / ext4 defaults 0 1
UUID=b25ccd70-a144-40af-8126-303d7333cdb4 swap swap defaults 0 0

7-of-9:/ # uname -a
Linux 7-of-9 3.5.3-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Aug 26 09:14:51 CEST 2012
x86_64 GNU/Linux

Hints please where to look i have compared this system to the laptop
and can see no major differences i have checked the drive it reports
all ok

Pete .

Old 09-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Aurko Roy

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 10:05 PM, P .NIKOLIC <p.nikolic1@btinternet.com>wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> Having been in hospital for a while i updated this system a couple of
> days ago and am having some strange problems
>

> If i run pacman -Syu i get
> 7-of-9:/ # pacman -Syu
> :: Synchronising package databases...
> error: failed to update core (unable to lock database)
> error: failed to update extra (unable to lock database)
> error: failed to update community (unable to lock database)
> error: failed to update multilib (unable to lock database)
> error: failed to synchronise any databases
> error: failed to init transaction (unable to lock database)
> error: could not lock database: Read-only file system
>
> mount gives
>
> 7-of-9:/ # mount
> proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
> sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
> dev on /dev type devtmpfs
> (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=1990844k,nr_inodes=497711 ,mode=755) run
> on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755) /dev/sda3 on /
> type ext4 (ro,relatime,data=ordered) devpts on /dev/pts type devpts
> (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode =000) shm on /dev/shm
> type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime) tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime) /dev/sda4 on /home type ext4
> (rw,relatime,data=ordered) /dev/sda1 on /boot type ext2 (rw,relatime)
> binfmt on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,relatime)
> gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/pete/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=10 0)
>
> contents of /etc/fstab
>
> #
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information
> #
> tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid 0 0
> UUID=34fd95b0-a146-47a8-8fa4-78dcedd8c127 /home ext4 defaults 0 1
> UUID=49c2a61c-19e8-4f45-b8ef-72507d60ee06 /boot ext2 defaults 0 1
> UUID=a1439104-fcea-4c90-b0fb-2340154a9eae / ext4 defaults 0 1
> UUID=b25ccd70-a144-40af-8126-303d7333cdb4 swap swap defaults 0 0
>

> 7-of-9:/ # uname -a
> Linux 7-of-9 3.5.3-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Aug 26 09:14:51 CEST 2012
> x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> Hints please where to look i have compared this system to the laptop
> and can see no major differences i have checked the drive it reports
> all ok
>
> Pete .
>

> --
> Linux 7-of-9 3.5.3-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Aug 26 09:14:51 CEST 2012
> x86_64 GNU/Linux

What is the output of blkid? I recall reading a similar problem on the
forum (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=137255) where the problem
was caused by an update to util-linux which had changed the uuid of the
root partition so that the root could not be correctly remounted rw.

Hope that helps.
--
Aurko Roy
GPG key: 0x20C5BC31

Old 09-13-2012, 08:26 PM
"P .NIKOLIC"

On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 22:29:02 +0530
Aurko Roy <roy.aurko@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 10:05 PM, P .NIKOLIC
>
> > Hi folks
> >
> > Having been in hospital for a while i updated this system a couple
> > of days ago and am having some strange problems
> >

> > If i run pacman -Syu i get
> > 7-of-9:/ # pacman -Syu
> > :: Synchronising package databases...
> > error: failed to update core (unable to lock database)
> > error: failed to update extra (unable to lock database)
> > error: failed to update community (unable to lock database)
> > error: failed to update multilib (unable to lock database)
> > error: failed to synchronise any databases
> > error: failed to init transaction (unable to lock database)
> > error: could not lock database: Read-only file system
> >
> > mount gives
> >
> > 7-of-9:/ # mount
> > proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
> > sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
> > dev on /dev type devtmpfs
> > (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=1990844k,nr_inodes=497711 ,mode=755) run
> > on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755) /dev/sda3
> > on / type ext4 (ro,relatime,data=ordered) devpts on /dev/pts type
> > devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode =000) shm
> > on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime) tmpfs on /tmp
> > type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime) /dev/sda4 on /home type ext4
> > (rw,relatime,data=ordered) /dev/sda1 on /boot type ext2
> > (rw,relatime) binfmt on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc
> > (rw,relatime) gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/pete/.gvfs type
> > fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon
> > (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=10 0)
> >
> > contents of /etc/fstab
> >
> > #
> > # /etc/fstab: static file system information
> > #
> > tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid 0 0
> > UUID=34fd95b0-a146-47a8-8fa4-78dcedd8c127 /home ext4 defaults 0 1
> > UUID=49c2a61c-19e8-4f45-b8ef-72507d60ee06 /boot ext2 defaults 0 1
> > UUID=a1439104-fcea-4c90-b0fb-2340154a9eae / ext4 defaults 0 1
> > UUID=b25ccd70-a144-40af-8126-303d7333cdb4 swap swap defaults 0 0
> >

> > 7-of-9:/ # uname -a
> > Linux 7-of-9 3.5.3-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Aug 26 09:14:51 CEST
> > 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> >
> > Hints please where to look i have compared this system to the laptop
> > and can see no major differences i have checked the drive it reports
> > all ok
> >
> > Pete .
> >

> > --
> > Linux 7-of-9 3.5.3-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Aug 26 09:14:51 CEST
> > 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> >

> What is the output of blkid? I recall reading a similar problem on the
> forum (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=137255) where the
> problem was caused by an update to util-linux which had changed the
> uuid of the root partition so that the root could not be correctly
> remounted rw.
>
> Hope that helps.

Hummm now that i had not checked out put is

7-of-9:/ # blkid
/dev/sda1: UUID="49c2a61c-19e8-4f45-b8ef-72507d60ee06" TYPE="ext2"
/dev/sda2: UUID="b25ccd70-a144-40af-8126-303d7333cdb4" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sda3: UUID="a1439104-fcea-4c90-b0fb-2340154a9eae" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda4: UUID="34fd95b0-a146-47a8-8fa4-78dcedd8c127" TYPE="ext4"

in this case thou they agree , my problem is mainly with /home .

Thanks
Pete .

Old 09-15-2012, 12:02 PM
"P .NIKOLIC"

> [...]

> > UUID=b25ccd70-a144-40af-8126-303d7333cdb4 swap swap defaults 0 0
> >

> > 7-of-9:/ # uname -a
> > Linux 7-of-9 3.5.3-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Aug 26 09:14:51 CEST
> > 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> >
> > Hints please where to look i have compared this system to the laptop
> > and can see no major differences i have checked the drive it reports
> > all ok
> >
> > Pete .
> >

> > --
> > Linux 7-of-9 3.5.3-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Aug 26 09:14:51 CEST
> > 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> >

> What is the output of blkid? I recall reading a similar problem on the
> forum (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=137255) where the
> problem was caused by an update to util-linux which had changed the
> uuid of the root partition so that the root could not be correctly

Humm well still having the same problem i have tried using the older
version of util-linux to no avail

all disc ID's are correct so what has been screwed up this was perfect
until the update or am i going to be forced to re-install not an
option i look forward to

Pete .

Old 09-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Andy Pieters

Hi

Pete

On 15 September 2012 13:02, P .NIKOLIC <p.nikolic1@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 22:29:02 +0530
> Aurko Roy <roy.aurko@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hints please where to look i have compared this system to the laptop
>> > and can see no major differences i have checked the drive it reports
>> > all ok
>> >
>> > Pete .
>
> Humm well still having the same problem i have tried using the older
> version of util-linux to no avail
>
> all disc ID's are correct so what has been screwed up this was perfect
> until the update or am i going to be forced to re-install not an
> option i look forward to
>
> Pete .
Please accept my apologies if this offends you or appears
condescending to you in any way, I have been told by people that they
perceive me as such at time. I assure you I mean no offence.

Now that that is out of the way, let's get down to business.

From the information you have given so far, you are able to boot up
successfully, right? I do remember a glitch when upgrading a while ago
that caused a similar issue. Until I found the solution, I just added
mount / -orw,rebind in /etc/rc.local

That caused my / partition to be rw as soon as the boot sequence is
completed but still caused my some issues during the daemon start up.
After a while I moved that line to /etc/rc.sysinit so it would execute
before the daemons.

Still a while later I discovered what the problem was, and I think it
was in /etc/fstab, something really obvious, in hind sight but I
cannot recall at the moment. Would you mind attaching your fstab?
Maybe seeing it will trigger my memory.

Andy

Old 09-15-2012, 04:24 PM
"P .NIKOLIC"

On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 17:10:15 +0100
Andy Pieters <Pieters.Andy.Mailing@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Pete
>
> On 15 September 2012 13:02, P .NIKOLIC <p.nikolic1@btinternet.com>
> wrote:

> > Humm well still having the same problem i have tried using the older
> > version of util-linux to no avail
> >
> > all disc ID's are correct so what has been screwed up this was
> > perfect until the update or am i going to be forced to
> > re-install not an option i look forward to
> >
> > Pete .
> Please accept my apologies if this offends you or appears
> condescending to you in any way, I have been told by people that they
> perceive me as such at time. I assure you I mean no offence.
>
> Now that that is out of the way, let's get down to business.
>
> From the information you have given so far, you are able to boot up
> successfully, right? I do remember a glitch when upgrading a while ago
> that caused a similar issue. Until I found the solution, I just added
> mount / -orw,rebind in /etc/rc.local
>
> That caused my / partition to be rw as soon as the boot sequence is
> completed but still caused my some issues during the daemon start up.
> After a while I moved that line to /etc/rc.sysinit so it would execute
> before the daemons.
>
> Still a while later I discovered what the problem was, and I think it
> was in /etc/fstab, something really obvious, in hind sight but I
> cannot recall at the moment. Would you mind attaching your fstab?
> Maybe seeing it will trigger my memory.
>
> Andy

Hi Andy .

Dont worry about your reply ideas and comments you are the height of
politeness compared with some on the lists not just this one either so
dont worry

I have compared this machine with the laptop that is similar processor
ect and same partitioning layout , i can see no difference between
the 2 apart from the actual UUID of the partitions i will have a play
with some of those suggestions shortly see what happens .

I have a feeling it may well be related to the latest util-linux and a
another that was changed at the big update i did .

Watch this space .

Of course noone else will offer any assistance will they EHhhhh!

Pete .

Old 09-15-2012, 05:11 PM
Andy Pieters

mount -orw,remount /

of course, not rebind

Old 09-17-2012, 07:01 PM
"David C. Rankin"

On 09/15/2012 11:24 AM, P .NIKOLIC wrote:

Of course noone else will offer any assistance will they EHhhhh!

Pete .

Pete,

You know me, I'm never quite to the ire of many, but I haven't a clue what
you are dealing with here... Let us know what it ultimately turns out to be
and if it is an issue with util-linux on Arch's end, file a report so it gets
fixed before it bites me

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:18 PM
German Cabarcas

I had a problem of this sort recently, due to my root partition being full,
so i went ahead and performed a:

# pacman -Sc

Before trying to update once again and things were rolling as normal back
again, hope it helps.

German C.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:35 AM
"P .NIKOLIC"

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 14:01:26 -0500
"David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/15/2012 11:24 AM, P .NIKOLIC wrote:
> > Of course noone else will offer any assistance will they EHhhhh!
> >
> > Pete .
>
> Pete,
>
> You know me, I'm never quite to the ire of many, but I haven't a
> clue what you are dealing with here... Let us know what it ultimately
> turns out to be and if it is an issue with util-linux on Arch's end,
> file a report so it gets fixed before it bites me

Morning David

Yes this is a real cracker and it only started after a big update .

What i have found is if i boot with the Arch boot cd the fsck both "/
and /home " it will boot fine but like this morning it has booted but
with / mounted ro which means i can not do any updates another time
it will be /home that comes up ro but there is no problem to be found
with the disc itself , I am wondering if it is an SATA problem again .

I have had too many problems with those stupid crappy designed sata
data cables , i have never seen such a pile of puke as the SATA
connection design and whoever designed and ratified needs to be hung
drawn and slaughtered.

Pete .