Old 09-20-2012, 10:21 PM
Guus Snijders

Default / mounted ro after update

Op 20 sep. 2012 10:03 schreef "Jude DaShiell" <jdashiel@shellworld.net> het
volgende:
[...]
> Also, I did learn syslinux does not
> support xfs the root of the disk could not be found whenever I used xfs.
> Grub-legacy I think is gone and grub-bios didn't work and neither did
> lilo. I can try more things later but not without some suggestions and
> sighted assistance to tell me what the next failing boot screen
> produces.

Well, for the bootloader part: how about a "small" partition for /boot,
with an ext2/3 filesystem?
Works every time ;-)

As for the labels/uuids: i still prefer the readability of devices
(/dev/sda1), so can't really help there.

mvg, Guus

Old 09-21-2012, 04:46 AM
Jude DaShiell

What's a good size number for a /boot partition? Needs to be large
enough kernel updates don't break the computer if possible or a
reasonable estimate to that end.

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012, Guus Snijders wrote:

> Op 20 sep. 2012 10:03 schreef "Jude DaShiell" <jdashiel@shellworld.net> het
> volgende:
> [...]
> > Also, I did learn syslinux does not
> > support xfs the root of the disk could not be found whenever I used xfs.
> > Grub-legacy I think is gone and grub-bios didn't work and neither did
> > lilo. I can try more things later but not without some suggestions and
> > sighted assistance to tell me what the next failing boot screen
> > produces.
>
> Well, for the bootloader part: how about a "small" partition for /boot,
> with an ext2/3 filesystem?
> Works every time ;-)
>
> As for the labels/uuids: i still prefer the readability of devices
> (/dev/sda1), so can't really help there.
>
> mvg, Guus

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
Adobe fiend for failing to Flash

Old 09-21-2012, 07:00 AM
"P .NIKOLIC"

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 14:26:54 +0100
"P .NIKOLIC" <p.nikolic1@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 12:07:55 +0100
> Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > all disc ID's are correct so what has been screwed up this was
> > > perfect until the update or am i going to be forced to
> > > re-install not an option i look forward to
> >
> > A workaround rather than a fix but may help investigate or fix the
> > odd machine. Have you tried switching out the
> >
> > UUID=a1439104-fcea-4c90-b0fb-2340154a9eae for /dev/sda3 in fstab?

Right then lets get back on thread here

Still with this problem of mounted ro i have been doing a little bit of
messing and the result is to say the very least strange and out there
somewhere .

Bring the box up init3 all drives mount ok sda1 sda3 & sda4 all
mount rw

bring the machine up with KDM sda3 and sda4 both show ro but if i do
not actually log into KDE and Ctrl Alt F1 to a text prompt login as
root mount shows all drives correctly mounted rw the Alt F7 log
into KDE then check and the drives have been re mounted ro

Can someone explain that one cus i am up a gum tree the years i have
been running Linux (Almost since day 1) i have never seen anything like
this

Pete

--
Linux 7-of-9 3.5.4-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Sep 15 08:12:04 CEST 2012
x86_64 GNU/Linux

Old 09-21-2012, 08:22 AM
Kevin Chadwick

> What's a good size number for a /boot partition? Needs to be large
> enough kernel updates don't break the computer if possible or a
> reasonable estimate to that end.

50 Meg per kernel should future proof, though I hope default kernels
never get that large.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)

Old 09-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Guus Snijders

Op 21 sep. 2012 06:46 schreef "Jude DaShiell" <jdashiel@shellworld.net> het
volgende:

> What's a good size number for a /boot partition? Needs to be large
> enough kernel updates don't break the computer if possible or a
> reasonable estimate to that end.

Let's say 250 MB.
Small enough that you don't miss the space, large enough to hold an small
rescue system and/or memtest.

> On Fri, 21 Sep 2012, Guus Snijders wrote:
>
> > Op 20 sep. 2012 10:03 schreef "Jude DaShiell" <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
het
> > volgende:
> > [...]
> > > Also, I did learn syslinux does not
> > > support xfs the root of the disk could not be found whenever I used
xfs.
> > > Grub-legacy I think is gone and grub-bios didn't work and neither did
> > > lilo. I can try more things later but not without some suggestions
and
> > > sighted assistance to tell me what the next failing boot screen
> > > produces.
> >
> > Well, for the bootloader part: how about a "small" partition for /boot,
> > with an ext2/3 filesystem?
> > Works every time ;-)

mvg, Guus

Old 09-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Guus Snijders

Op 21 sep. 2012 09:00 schreef "P .NIKOLIC" <p.nikolic1@btinternet.com> het
volgende:

> On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 14:26:54 +0100
> "P .NIKOLIC" <p.nikolic1@btinternet.com> wrote:

> > > A workaround rather than a fix but may help investigate or fix the
> > > odd machine. Have you tried switching out the
> > >
> > > UUID=a1439104-fcea-4c90-b0fb-2340154a9eae for /dev/sda3 in fstab?
> > >
> Right then lets get back on thread here

yes, you're right.

> Still with this problem of mounted ro i have been doing a little bit of
> messing and the result is to say the very least strange and out there
> somewhere .
>
> Bring the box up init3 all drives mount ok sda1 sda3 & sda4 all
> mount rw
>
> bring the machine up with KDM sda3 and sda4 both show ro but if i do
> not actually log into KDE and Ctrl Alt F1 to a text prompt login as
> root mount shows all drives correctly mounted rw the Alt F7 log
> into KDE then check and the drives have been re mounted ro

Ok, so only after logging in to kde are the drives mounted ro?
Sounds like an automounter going haywire.

I'm not familliar with current KDE's, but maybe you can try creating a new
user and see what happens when you log in with that.
If that works ok, it's a problem with your KDE config.

mvg, Guus