Old 09-11-2012, 01:15 PM
Andy Pieters

Default Openstack keystone

HI guys

If this is beyond the scope of the list, then please accept my apologies.

I am trying to install the entire OpenStack stack on Arch Linux and keep
running into an issue with the keystone service.

As far as I understand it, most of it is written in Python.

To install the keystone service, I created a PKGBUILD file (see attachment)
which seems to work fine,but the resulting applications seem to be missing
a key component. The error I keep getting is 'no module named server'.

I have researched this error far and wide and nothing I find actually gives
me any insight into why this error keeps happening.

The packages I find for Fedora and Redhat and variants on pbone.net seem to
include files that mine does not have.

I am really unfamiliar with Pyhon so it could be that some files are only
installed when other dependencies are present.

I cannot seem to find any documentation on how to build OpenStack from
scratch (other than for Debian, and Redhat/Fedora).

I will also ask on the OpenStack mailing list if there is one, but does
anyone have any clues as to why keystone-all keeps whining about not having
a module named server?

Thanksn

Old 09-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Krzysztof Warzecha

Hello,

2012/9/11 Andy Pieters <pieters.andy.mailing@gmail.com>:
> To install the keystone service, I created a PKGBUILD file (see attachment)
> which seems to work fine,but the resulting applications seem to be missing
> a key component. The error I keep getting is 'no module named server'.

I downloaded and installed keystone under virtualenv (sorry, I will
not use your pkgbuild, I always use virtualenv and don't want to
install any python modules systemwide):

virtualenv2 virtualenv
wget https://launchpad.net/keystone/essex/2012.1.1/+download/keystone-2012.1.1.tar.gz
tar xzf keystone-2012.1.1.tar.gz
cd keystone-2012.1.1
../virtualenv/bin/python setup.py install
../virtualenv/bin/keystone-all --config-file=$(pwd)/etc/keystone.conf

And it seems here to work fine (it starts http server on 0.0.0.0:5000,
I can connect to it, etc). There is no module named server in
installed files, could you provide more info? With full output message
and traceback, etc?

--
Krzysztof Warzecha

Old 09-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Andy Pieters

Hi

On 11 September 2012 15:35, Krzysztof Warzecha <kwarzecha7@gmail.com> wrote:

> I downloaded and installed keystone under virtualenv (sorry, I will
> not use your pkgbuild, I always use virtualenv and don't want to
> install any python modules systemwide):
> [snip]
> And it seems here to work fine (it starts http server on 0.0.0.0:5000,
> I can connect to it, etc). There is no module named server in
> installed files, could you provide more info? With full output message
> and traceback, etc?
>
> --
> Krzysztof Warzecha

Thank you for your help, that actually does work. Shows my ignorance of
Python. Could you tell me what the implications are of using this under
virtualenv. Does it mean that they keystone-all and keystone-manage tools
will be available system wide? Can you think of other implications of using
virtualenv to run Openstack in/under?

I have also attached the full trace I get when I try to run keystone-all
when built by myself.

Thanks

Old 09-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Krzysztof Warzecha

Hi,

Sorry for delayed response, I had a busy week.

2012/9/11 Andy Pieters <Pieters.Andy.Mailing@gmail.com>:
> Python. Could you tell me what the implications are of using this under
> virtualenv. Does it mean that they keystone-all and keystone-manage tools
> will be available system wide? Can you think of other implications of using
> virtualenv to run Openstack in/under?

No, keystone-all and keystone-manage will not be available system wide
unless you add them to path. I'm not sure if this is good idea. You
could try to do something like this:

sudo mkdir /usr/local/virtualenvs/keystone
sudo virtualenv2 /usr/local/virtualenvs/keystone
(...)
sudo ln -s /usr/local/virtualenvs/keystone/bin/keystone-all /usr/local/bin/
sudo ln -s /usr/local/virtualenvs/keystone/bin/keystone-manage /usr/local/bin/

But I'm not sure if it will work. (Beware, you cannot move virtualenv
once its installed, see [1]).

Since you want to install keystone system wide, you could also run
"sudo python2 setup.py install". It will install all dependencies and
stuff (but it can mess with python2-* packages from pacman, see [2]).

> I have also attached the full trace I get when I try to run keystone-all
> when built by myself.

Could you post your keystone config? It seems that
paste/deploy/loadwsgi.py tries to load that 'server' module because it
found it in local_conf. I'm not sure where contents of local_conf
comes from.

You can debug this script futher with pdb:

python2 -m pdb /usr/bin/keystone-all

Type 'help' for help, 'up' / 'down' / 'bt' to move through the stack,
'dir()' to show variables on current frame and 'pp variable' /
'dir(object)' / 'pp object.method()' / 'pp object.field' to inspect
variables and objects.

[1] http://pypi.python.org/pypi/virtualenv#making-environments-relocatable
[2] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=139264

--
Krzysztof Warzecha

Old 09-13-2012, 07:28 PM
Andy Pieters

Hi

On 13 September 2012 19:30, Krzysztof Warzecha <kwarzecha7@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry for delayed response, I had a busy week.
Not at all, I appreciate your help regardless

> No, keystone-all and keystone-manage will not be available system wide
> unless you add them to path. I'm not sure if this is good idea. You
> could try to do something like this:
>
> sudo mkdir /usr/local/virtualenvs/keystone
> sudo virtualenv2 /usr/local/virtualenvs/keystone
> (...)
> sudo ln -s /usr/local/virtualenvs/keystone/bin/keystone-all /usr/local/bin/
> sudo ln -s /usr/local/virtualenvs/keystone/bin/keystone-manage /usr/local/bin/
>
> But I'm not sure if it will work. (Beware, you cannot move virtualenv
> once its installed, see [1]).
>
> Since you want to install keystone system wide, you could also run
> "sudo python2 setup.py install". It will install all dependencies and
> stuff (but it can mess with python2-* packages from pacman, see [2]).
>
> > I have also attached the full trace I get when I try to run keystone-all
> > when built by myself.
>
> Could you post your keystone config? It seems that
> paste/deploy/loadwsgi.py tries to load that 'server' module because it
> found it in local_conf. I'm not sure where contents of local_conf
> comes from.
Aha! The plot, as they say, thickens... See attached file it does
mention keystone.server in it. As far as I remember it is either the
default file that came with it, or something I copied over out of a
walk-through.

> You can debug this script futher with pdb:
>
> python2 -m pdb /usr/bin/keystone-all
>
> Type 'help' for help, 'up' / 'down' / 'bt' to move through the stack,
> 'dir()' to show variables on current frame and 'pp variable' /
> 'dir(object)' / 'pp object.method()' / 'pp object.field' to inspect
> variables and objects.

This really helps

> [1] http://pypi.python.org/pypi/virtualenv#making-environments-relocatable
> [2] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=139264
>
> --
> Krzysztof Warzecha

Thanks I really appreciate this

Andy

Old 09-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Krzysztof Warzecha

Hello,

2012/9/13 Andy Pieters <Pieters.Andy.Mailing@gmail.com>:
>> Could you post your keystone config? It seems that
>> paste/deploy/loadwsgi.py tries to load that 'server' module because it
>> found it in local_conf. I'm not sure where contents of local_conf
>> comes from.
> Aha! The plot, as they say, thickens... See attached file it does
> mention keystone.server in it. As far as I remember it is either the
> default file that came with it, or something I copied over out of a
> walk-through.

With your keystone.conf I get same error with same traceback. You can
find stock one in source tarball under ./etc/

--
Krzysztof Warzecha

Old 09-13-2012, 09:01 PM
Andy Pieters

On 13 September 2012 21:50, Krzysztof Warzecha <kwarzecha7@gmail.com> wrote:

> With your keystone.conf I get same error with same traceback. You can
> find stock one in source tarball under ./etc/
>
> --
> Krzysztof Warzecha

Excellent thank you