Old 09-10-2012, 09:32 PM
mike cloaked

Default NetworkManager update - problematic for ipw2200

I was away for a few days but this evening returned and updated a
laptop which has ipw2200 wireless - and the updates included
NetworkManager 0.9.6 - after rebooting the machine the wireless
connection fails within seconds - despite ifconfig and ifconfig
showing a normal connection - this is for a KDE D.E. with plasma
networkmanagement which was also updated this evening. This now shows
what appears to be a normal wireless signal strength which has not
been the case for a long time - but the connection is a major bug.

I have seen another post on the forums where a user has similar
problems to me but with different wireless hardware.

It is odd - the key indicators seem to show that the connection is
fine but a browser fails to connect - ssh will connect but the
connection will hang within seconds. pacman fails to connect to the
servers except very very slowly and times out - despite another arch
machine working perfectly well with different wireless hardware!

Anyone else seeing something similar? I guess I will need to
downgrade networkmanager till this is fixed.

--
mike c

Old 09-12-2012, 05:05 PM
mike cloaked

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was away for a few days but this evening returned and updated a
> laptop which has ipw2200 wireless - and the updates included
> NetworkManager 0.9.6 - after rebooting the machine the wireless
> connection fails within seconds - despite ifconfig and ifconfig
> showing a normal connection - this is for a KDE D.E. with plasma
> networkmanagement which was also updated this evening. This now shows
> what appears to be a normal wireless signal strength which has not
> been the case for a long time - but the connection is a major bug.
>
> I have seen another post on the forums where a user has similar
> problems to me but with different wireless hardware.
>
> It is odd - the key indicators seem to show that the connection is
> fine but a browser fails to connect - ssh will connect but the
> connection will hang within seconds. pacman fails to connect to the
> servers except very very slowly and times out - despite another arch
> machine working perfectly well with different wireless hardware!
>
> Anyone else seeing something similar? I guess I will need to
> downgrade networkmanager till this is fixed.

Oddly today it is working fine - I am now wondering if it is a
hardware fault that is intermittent... further testing needed - and
maybe replace wifi card!

--
mike c

Old 09-21-2012, 07:04 PM
mike cloaked

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 6:05 PM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was away for a few days but this evening returned and updated a
>> laptop which has ipw2200 wireless - and the updates included
>> NetworkManager 0.9.6 - after rebooting the machine the wireless
>> connection fails within seconds - despite ifconfig and ifconfig
>> showing a normal connection - this is for a KDE D.E. with plasma
>> networkmanagement which was also updated this evening. This now shows
>> what appears to be a normal wireless signal strength which has not
>> been the case for a long time - but the connection is a major bug.
>>
>> I have seen another post on the forums where a user has similar
>> problems to me but with different wireless hardware.
>>
>> It is odd - the key indicators seem to show that the connection is
>> fine but a browser fails to connect - ssh will connect but the
>> connection will hang within seconds. pacman fails to connect to the
>> servers except very very slowly and times out - despite another arch
>> machine working perfectly well with different wireless hardware!
>>
>> Anyone else seeing something similar? I guess I will need to
>> downgrade networkmanager till this is fixed.
>>

> Oddly today it is working fine - I am now wondering if it is a
> hardware fault that is intermittent... further testing needed - and
> maybe replace wifi card!

Wifi card replaced and since then the wireless has been flawless - so
this is resolved.

--
mike c