Old 09-10-2012, 03:15 AM
Jude DaShiell

Default amd64 systems and archlinux

I am learning more about my hardware doing an archlinux installation on an
amd k8 athelon system. Apparently grub won't work without use of
blocklists and it complains that blocklists are unreliable so cannot embed
and for that reason won't install. Fortunately another boot loader other
than grub is available. I'll try that one later. Too late tonight to do
it.

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net> Adobe fiend for failing to Flash

Old 09-10-2012, 03:18 AM
Victor Silva

Old 09-10-2012, 05:52 AM
Curtis Shimamoto

On 09/09/12 at 11:15pm, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> I am learning more about my hardware doing an archlinux installation on an
> amd k8 athelon system. Apparently grub won't work without use of
> blocklists and it complains that blocklists are unreliable so cannot embed
> and for that reason won't install. Fortunately another boot loader other
> than grub is available. I'll try that one later. Too late tonight to do
> it.

> jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net> Adobe fiend for failing to Flash

Are you trying to install to the mbr of a partition? If so, this error
is expected.

See our amazing wiki here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2#Install_to_Partition_or_Partitionless_Disk

Curtis Shimamoto
sugar.and.scruffy@gmail.com

Old 09-10-2012, 08:12 AM
Jude DaShiell

On Sun, 9 Sep 2012, Curtis Shimamoto wrote:

> On 09/09/12 at 11:15pm, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> > I am learning more about my hardware doing an archlinux installation on an
> > amd k8 athelon system. Apparently grub won't work without use of
> > blocklists and it complains that blocklists are unreliable so cannot embed
> > and for that reason won't install. Fortunately another boot loader other
> > than grub is available. I'll try that one later. Too late tonight to do
> > it.

> > jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net> Adobe fiend for failing to Flash
> >

> Are you trying to install to the mbr of a partition? If so, this error
> is expected.
>
> See our amazing wiki here:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2#Install_to_Partition_or_Partitionless_Disk
>

> Regards,
> --
> Curtis Shimamoto
> sugar.and.scruffy@gmail.com

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
Adobe fiend for failing to Flash

I had intended to install grub into mbr on /dev/sda1. I used
--target=i386-pc as provided in the grub-install step and did so with
misgivings since the machine I use is an x86-64 machine. The only x86-64
target on the arch beginner's guide was for ufi not bios. A bug like this
in grub were I to write software for my employer would have me fired that
same day. A software package can't keep track of its files it creates and
it uses is a package with no self-defense capabilities. Sorry about that,
but some of us started programming when the only thing creating webs were
real spiders and web page developer was a job title that had yet to be
created.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:17 AM
Bjoern Franke

> I had intended to install grub into mbr on /dev/sda1. I used
> --target=i386-pc as provided in the grub-install step and did so with
> misgivings since the machine I use is an x86-64 machine. The only x86-64
> target on the arch beginner's guide was for ufi not bios. A bug like this
> in grub were I to write software for my employer would have me fired that
> same day. A software package can't keep track of its files it creates and
> it uses is a package with no self-defense capabilities. Sorry about that,
> but some of us started programming when the only thing creating webs were
> real spiders and web page developer was a job title that had yet to be
> created.

The MBR is the first 512 bytes of a device[1]. There is no MBR of a
single partition.

[1]https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MBR
--
xmpp: bjo@schafweide.org
bjo.nord-west.org | nord-west.org | freifunk-ol.de

Old 09-10-2012, 08:29 AM
Jude DaShiell

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012, Bjoern Franke wrote:

> > I had intended to install grub into mbr on /dev/sda1. I used
> > --target=i386-pc as provided in the grub-install step and did so with
> > misgivings since the machine I use is an x86-64 machine. The only x86-64
> > target on the arch beginner's guide was for ufi not bios. A bug like this
> > in grub were I to write software for my employer would have me fired that
> > same day. A software package can't keep track of its files it creates and
> > it uses is a package with no self-defense capabilities. Sorry about that,
> > but some of us started programming when the only thing creating webs were
> > real spiders and web page developer was a job title that had yet to be
> > created.
>
> The MBR is the first 512 bytes of a device[1]. There is no MBR of a
> single partition.
>
> [1]https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MBR

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
Adobe fiend for failing to Flash

I have /dev/sda1 root, /dev/sda2 swap and /dev/sda3 /home. So this is not
a single partition setup but a three partition setup if you count swap.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:29 AM
Thomas Bächler

Am 10.09.2012 10:12, schrieb Jude DaShiell:
> I had intended to install grub into mbr on /dev/sda1. I used
> --target=i386-pc as provided in the grub-install step and did so with
> misgivings since the machine I use is an x86-64 machine. The only x86-64
> target on the arch beginner's guide was for ufi not bios.

There is no x86_64 BIOS target. There never was. Unless you have EFI,
your bootloader code will be i386 code (or worse, some 8086-compat code,
but I am not an expert on this).

> A bug like this
> in grub were I to write software for my employer would have me fired that
> same day. A software package can't keep track of its files it creates and
> it uses is a package with no self-defense capabilities.

I have no idea what you are trying to say, but it definitely doesn't
belong here.

> Sorry about that,
> but some of us started programming when the only thing creating webs were
> real spiders and web page developer was a job title that had yet to be
> created.

What are you trying to achieve with this post? It does not help solve
your problem, it doesn't add anything technical to the discussion -
actually, I don't know what you are trying to say here, and I don't care.

If you want _any_ help here, please keep it objective and technical.

Let me also express part of my personal opinion, which others might
disagree with: If you wanted high quality software, why did you install
GRUB? If you want a decent bootloader, use syslinux.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:20 AM
John Hutchison

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 04:29:22AM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> I have /dev/sda1 root, /dev/sda2 swap and /dev/sda3 /home. So this is not
> a single partition setup but a three partition setup if you count swap.
Assume for this that /dev/sda is the bootloader _AND_ the device. As was
said before: the first 512 bytes of the _hard drive device_ is the bootloader.
(Assuming MBR)

Perhaps you could go a little more in depth on your install process,
maybe tell us what exactly you are trying to do.

--
John Hutchison
Programmieren und

Old 09-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Kyle

According to Thomas Bächler:

Let me also express part of my personal opinion, which others might
disagree with: If you wanted high quality software, why did you install
GRUB? If you want a decent bootloader, use syslinux.

Actually, at least from where I'm sitting, this "personal opinion" has a
good bit of technical merrit. I can confirm that my life with boot
loaders has become much easier since switching to syslinux, and you are
the second regular contributor who has stated this. I was forced to
chainload Windows XP after resizing a partition on this old machine I am
still using, hopefully until the end of the day. This was already
configured into syslinux by default, and worked flawlessly without
modification. Additionally, the Arch defaults were sane enough to be
able to run with very little modification, only needing the label for my
root partition in the append line for the kernel. A big +1 from me for
syslinux.

~Kyle

Old 09-11-2012, 02:14 AM
Curtis Shimamoto

On 09/10/12 at 04:20am, John Hutchison wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 04:29:22AM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> > I have /dev/sda1 root, /dev/sda2 swap and /dev/sda3 /home. So this is not
> > a single partition setup but a three partition setup if you count swap.
> Assume for this that /dev/sda is the bootloader _AND_ the device. As was
> said before: the first 512 bytes of the _hard drive device_ is the bootloader.
> (Assuming MBR)
>
> Perhaps you could go a little more in depth on your install process,
> maybe tell us what exactly you are trying to do.
>

> --
> John Hutchison
> Programmieren und
> Informatik-Abteilung
> Feiern Sie 21 Jahre Linux!
> gplus.to/athetius

The link I provided clearly shows you how to install to the mbr of a
partition. I used to have to do this with my Mac as not to ruin the
windows partition (I think that is why I was doing that). So it is
possible. Whether it is a wise thing to do is questionable.

OP, I think if you just follow Arch's grub2 wiki, you probably would
have seen your error and/or resolved any problem you may have had. Grub2
has this "bug" because it is not how it is intended to be used.

Install it to /dev/sda like normal and you should be fine.
--
Curtis Shimamoto
sugar.and.scruffy@gmail.com