Old 09-10-2012, 01:25 AM
Randy

Default Help mounting Windows drive

In the past I have been able to mount my Windows computer using the
following command:

"mount -t cifs -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD
//192.168.1.107/Users/gumper /mnt/share/"

Now when I try this I receive the message:

"Unable to find suitable address".

I am able to ping the IP address without any problem.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks,

Randy

Old 09-10-2012, 01:36 AM
rafael ff1

2012/9/9 Randy <gumper1034@gmail.com>:

> In the past I have been able to mount my Windows computer using the
> following command:
>
> "mount -t cifs -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD
> //192.168.1.107/Users/gumper /mnt/share/"
>
> Now when I try this I receive the message:
>
> "Unable to find suitable address".
>
> I am able to ping the IP address without any problem.
>
> Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Randy

Maybe missing DOMAIN or WORKGROUP in "username=" ?

Rafael

Old 09-10-2012, 01:57 AM
Randy

In the past I have been able to mount my Windows computer using the
following command:

"mount -t cifs -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD
//192.168.1.107/Users/gumper /mnt/share/"

Now when I try this I receive the message:

"Unable to find suitable address".

I am able to ping the IP address without any problem.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks,

Randy

Maybe missing DOMAIN or WORKGROUP in "username=" ?

Rafael

I just tried changing "username=USERNAME" to
"username=WORKGROUP/USERNAME" and I get the same results.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:16 PM
gt

On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 09:57:06PM -0400, Randy wrote:
> On 09/09/2012 09:36 PM, rafael ff1 wrote:
> >2012/9/9 Randy <gumper1034@gmail.com>:
> >>In the past I have been able to mount my Windows computer using the
> >>following command:
> >>
> >>"mount -t cifs -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD
> >>//192.168.1.107/Users/gumper /mnt/share/"
> >>
> >>Now when I try this I receive the message:
> >>
> >>"Unable to find suitable address".
> >>
> >>I am able to ping the IP address without any problem.
> >>
> >Maybe missing DOMAIN or WORKGROUP in "username=" ?
>
> I just tried changing "username=USERNAME" to
> "username=WORKGROUP/USERNAME" and I get the same results.

Try

Old 09-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Figue

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 3:25 AM, Randy <gumper1034@gmail.com> wrote:

> In the past I have been able to mount my Windows computer using the
> following command:
>
> "mount -t cifs -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD
> //192.168.1.107/Users/gumper /mnt/share/"
>
> Now when I try this I receive the message:
>
> "Unable to find suitable address".
>
> I am able to ping the IP address without any problem.
>
> Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Randy

I use a plain text file for credentials, something like:

mount.cifs 192.168.1.107/Users/gumper /mnt/share -o
rw,noserverino,uid=1000,credentials=/etc/.cifs

where /etc/.cifs is:
username=myuser
password=mypass
domain=mydomain

In a single line would be:
mount.cifs 192.168.1.107/Users/gumper /mnt/share -o
rw,noserverino,uid=1000,username=myuser,password=m ypass,domain=mydomain

PD: uid it's optional to your current user.

--
$(Figue)

Old 09-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Stephen Martin

Is /Users a valid share on your system?

Sent from my iPhone

Old 09-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Tom Rand

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 03:23:27PM +0100, Stephen Martin wrote:
> Is /Users a valid share on your system?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 10 Sep 2012, at 02:25, Randy <gumper1034@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > In the past I have been able to mount my Windows computer using the following command:
> >
> > "mount -t cifs -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD //192.168.1.107/Users/gumper /mnt/share/"
> >
> > Now when I try this I receive the message:
> >
> > "Unable to find suitable address".
> >
> > I am able to ping the IP address without any problem.
> >
> > Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> > Randy

If he has shared the home folder for his username then Users would be a valid share but you would
only see the folder pertaining to said user name
so:
C:Usersgumper would give access to
C:Users but the folder gumper would be the only folder/item visible

Old 09-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Daniel Pirek

iirc i mounted my windows shares with WORKGROUPUsername ,
have you tried that ?

Pi

Old 09-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Randy

iirc i mounted my windows shares with WORKGROUPUsername ,
have you tried that ?

Pi

Randy <gumper1034@gmail.com> wrote:

In the past I have been able to mount my Windows computer using the
following command:

"mount -t cifs -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD
//192.168.1.107/Users/gumper /mnt/share/"

Now when I try this I receive the message:

"Unable to find suitable address".

I am able to ping the IP address without any problem.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks,

Randy

Maybe missing DOMAIN or WORKGROUP in "username=" ?

Rafael

I just tried changing "username=USERNAME" to
"username=WORKGROUP/USERNAME" and I get the same results.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I was finally able to get it going.
Apparently the IP address changed on the Windows system. I was pinging
what I thought was the correct IP address and getting a reply back but I
must have been pinging another device, possibly an Ipod touch.

I wasn't aware that the IP address on the pc could change like it did. I
need to look into how to fix it to the same IP address so that I don't
have the same problem in the future.

Randy

Old 09-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Nelson Marambio

[...]

Hi,

you could have a look at your router configuration. In most cases you
can reserve a fixed IP for your devices, identified by their MAC address.

Concering Netgear routers the reservation is just two clicks ahead if
the relevant devices are up and connected to the router.

Kind regards,
Nelson.