-   -   Help mounting Windows drive (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/702118-help-mounting-windows-drive.html)

Randy 09-10-2012 01:25 AM

Help mounting Windows drive

In the past I have been able to mount my Windows computer using the
following command:

"mount -t cifs -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD
//192.168.1.107/Users/gumper /mnt/share/"

Now when I try this I receive the message:

"Unable to find suitable address".

I am able to ping the IP address without any problem.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks,

Randy

rafael ff1 09-10-2012 01:36 AM

2012/9/9 Randy <gumper1034@gmail.com>:

> In the past I have been able to mount my Windows computer using the
> following command:
>
> "mount -t cifs -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD
> //192.168.1.107/Users/gumper /mnt/share/"
>
> Now when I try this I receive the message:
>
> "Unable to find suitable address".
>
> I am able to ping the IP address without any problem.
>
> Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Randy

Maybe missing DOMAIN or WORKGROUP in "username=" ?

Rafael

Randy 09-10-2012 01:57 AM

Help mounting Windows drive

In the past I have been able to mount my Windows computer using the
following command:

"mount -t cifs -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD
//192.168.1.107/Users/gumper /mnt/share/"

Now when I try this I receive the message:

"Unable to find suitable address".

I am able to ping the IP address without any problem.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks,

Randy

Maybe missing DOMAIN or WORKGROUP in "username=" ?

Rafael

I just tried changing "username=USERNAME" to
"username=WORKGROUP/USERNAME" and I get the same results.

gt 09-10-2012 01:16 PM

On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 09:57:06PM -0400, Randy wrote:
> On 09/09/2012 09:36 PM, rafael ff1 wrote:
> >2012/9/9 Randy <gumper1034@gmail.com>:
> >>In the past I have been able to mount my Windows computer using the
> >>following command:
> >>
> >>"mount -t cifs -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD
> >>//192.168.1.107/Users/gumper /mnt/share/"
> >>
> >>Now when I try this I receive the message:
> >>
> >>"Unable to find suitable address".
> >>
> >>I am able to ping the IP address without any problem.
> >>
> >Maybe missing DOMAIN or WORKGROUP in "username=" ?
>
> I just tried changing "username=USERNAME" to
> "username=WORKGROUP/USERNAME" and I get the same results.

Try

Figue 09-10-2012 02:05 PM

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 3:25 AM, Randy <gumper1034@gmail.com> wrote:

> In the past I have been able to mount my Windows computer using the
> following command:
>
> "mount -t cifs -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD
> //192.168.1.107/Users/gumper /mnt/share/"
>
> Now when I try this I receive the message:
>
> "Unable to find suitable address".
>
> I am able to ping the IP address without any problem.
>
> Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Randy

I use a plain text file for credentials, something like:

mount.cifs 192.168.1.107/Users/gumper /mnt/share -o
rw,noserverino,uid=1000,credentials=/etc/.cifs

where /etc/.cifs is:
username=myuser
password=mypass
domain=mydomain

In a single line would be:
mount.cifs 192.168.1.107/Users/gumper /mnt/share -o
rw,noserverino,uid=1000,username=myuser,password=m ypass,domain=mydomain

PD: uid it's optional to your current user.

--
$(Figue)

Stephen Martin 09-10-2012 02:23 PM

Help mounting Windows drive

Is /Users a valid share on your system?

Sent from my iPhone

Tom Rand 09-10-2012 06:37 PM

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 03:23:27PM +0100, Stephen Martin wrote:
> Is /Users a valid share on your system?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 10 Sep 2012, at 02:25, Randy <gumper1034@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > In the past I have been able to mount my Windows computer using the following command:
> >
> > "mount -t cifs -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD //192.168.1.107/Users/gumper /mnt/share/"
> >
> > Now when I try this I receive the message:
> >
> > "Unable to find suitable address".
> >
> > I am able to ping the IP address without any problem.
> >
> > Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> > Randy

If he has shared the home folder for his username then Users would be a valid share but you would
only see the folder pertaining to said user name
so:
C:Usersgumper would give access to
C:Users but the folder gumper would be the only folder/item visible

Daniel Pirek 09-10-2012 06:51 PM

Help mounting Windows drive

iirc i mounted my windows shares with WORKGROUPUsername ,
have you tried that ?

Pi

Randy 09-10-2012 09:56 PM

Help mounting Windows drive

iirc i mounted my windows shares with WORKGROUPUsername ,
have you tried that ?

Pi

Randy <gumper1034@gmail.com> wrote:

In the past I have been able to mount my Windows computer using the
following command:

"mount -t cifs -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD
//192.168.1.107/Users/gumper /mnt/share/"

Now when I try this I receive the message:

"Unable to find suitable address".

I am able to ping the IP address without any problem.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks,

Randy

Maybe missing DOMAIN or WORKGROUP in "username=" ?

Rafael

I just tried changing "username=USERNAME" to
"username=WORKGROUP/USERNAME" and I get the same results.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I was finally able to get it going.
Apparently the IP address changed on the Windows system. I was pinging
what I thought was the correct IP address and getting a reply back but I
must have been pinging another device, possibly an Ipod touch.

I wasn't aware that the IP address on the pc could change like it did. I
need to look into how to fix it to the same IP address so that I don't
have the same problem in the future.

Randy

Nelson Marambio 09-10-2012 10:03 PM

[...]

Hi,

you could have a look at your router configuration. In most cases you
can reserve a fixed IP for your devices, identified by their MAC address.

Concering Netgear routers the reservation is just two clicks ahead if
the relevant devices are up and connected to the router.

Kind regards,
Nelson.